Retrofit interior light package?

Covenant

Reaction score
I found a tutorial to retrofit the under-seat and dash lights - anyone know if its easy to install the overhead map lights and dorr handle illumination etc? My plain single courtesy light is annoying me....

Reactions: Simon bfd
Covenant said:
I found a tutorial to retrofit the under-seat and dash lights - anyone know if its easy to install the overhead map lights and dorr handle illumination etc? My plain single courtesy light is annoying me....

The overhead LED part of the ambient light pack, ie the best bit is one of the easiest to fit. I'll be doing it in a week or two. Heres the link
http://www.audiretrofit.co.uk

Can you give us the link for the underseat and dash lights

Yeh - you see what I have is:

DSCF0005.jpg

...and what I want is:

898823-After%28on%29.JPG

Just wondering if all the connections are there for a swap or just minimal connections need to be run from the fuse box

Oh I get ya, you want the map lights as well as the LEDs. I'm sure its a straight swap

tibbs said:
Under seat lights with the interior light pack? i don't have them!!

Maybe a 5-door or US fitment only?

No underseat lights on the Sportback with lights package - under door lights so you don't tread in puddles or dog poo but not under seat.

cdb2 said:
No underseat lights on the Sportback with lights package - under door lights so you don't tread in puddles or dog poo but not under seat.

Must be an option in some country though - the holes are there in the seats for them.

Covenant...
i'm in the same position and am going to retro fit the map lights as well as the LED (ambient lighting) in the next few days.

Will keep u posted!

Mine is a 2004 MY with the airbag deactivation indicator in the lighting trim.

Part number is 8E0 947 135 N (+6PS colour code for black colour)

its great because it also includes the ambient lighting LED module (so dont order it at the same time!)

I'm going to try installation tomorrow night, will post some pics.

Incidentally i'm in a bit of a funny situation b/c my new car is arriving next wk and it requires a SLIGHTLY different part (as the new model doesn't have the airbag deactivation light).

SO... if anyone is interested in buying the version i have, pls let me know. its brand new and supplied by vagparts.com (can provide receipt).

Well, got my A3 a month ago so its liekly I'll need the same part you are ordering, gl with the fitting job :)

Do you have part no/price for the new one?

yup - i'm fairly sure it is:
8E0 947 135 D 6PS

i think the part was around £30-40 (excl. deliv).

You can wait til i've got mine if you want to be 100% sure.

Does your car have the airbag deactivation light in front of the main light ? (that'll help me confirm which part number we both need).

cdb2 said:

There are no lights under the seats, but there are lights in the footwell. At least there are in my sportback!

scaramanga said:
yup - i'm fairly sure it is:
8E0 947 135 D 6PS

i think the part was around £30-40 (excl. deliv).

You can wait til i've got mine if you want to be 100% sure.

Does your car have the airbag deactivation light in front of the main light ? (that'll help me confirm which part number we both need).

Not that I've noticed, but then I've never turned it off tbh.

ordered, should have the part (and importantly the new car!) by wednesday.

will keep you posted

ok. tried fitting it today and i have some bad news... i got the right parts, and connecting everything up is very straightforward. (happy to post some pics if anyone cares...)

Now, the problem is that when i connected up the new light fitting, the main light and the reading lights did not work. The ambient lighting LEDs were fine (they turn on when the headlights are switched on). Clearly, not a good result. I tried switching bulbs, but it made no difference.

When i reattached the original light trim, the main light came back on without any probs... So, i'm thinking either the new trim i received is faulty or maybe the car needs to be recoded with VAG-COM to recognise the change in lighting (which seems unlikely ?).

Anyway, have ordered a new part so will update when i try again. Annoying!

Any thoughts as to whether a VAG-COM recode is necessary would be much appreciated.

Good news, new part arrived and installed perfectly.

Very straight-forward - now have ambient lighting, as well as reading lights. also looks less empty/bland than the original plate.

Would recommend this mod to anyone who cares... parts cost around £60. only tool needed is a philips screwdriver...

Let me know if anyone wants pics.

That's a great result. Maybe put the pics and a small write-up in the How To section?

will do... need a couple of days but watch this space.

will include part numbers and the instructions.

For anyone in a rush, i've included the part number above for a 3dr S-Line car that does not have sunroof and does not have the airbag deactivation light in the roof panel.

i tend to get any parts from vagparts... great bunch of lads and always top service/prices

scaramanga said:
will do... need a couple of days but watch this space.

will include part numbers and the instructions.

For anyone in a rush, i've included the part number above for a 3dr S-Line car that does not have sunroof and does not have the airbag deactivation light in the roof panel.

i tend to get any parts from vagparts... great bunch of lads and always top service/prices

Number above? This one?

8E0 947 135 D 6PS

Yup - that is the right one if you have the black trim (usually the case with S-Line models with black headlining).

Will prob need a another day or two to get the instructions put up.

anyone wanting parts but not keen on paying vagparts prices and delivery let me know as I can normally get them at the pre Vast prices on that site.

J.

anyone wanting parts but not keen on paying vagparts prices and delivery let me know as I can normally get them at the pre Vast prices on that site.

J.

Just fitted my Leds today and had a look at them in the dark tonight.

I'll say this, they were not a waste of €20 because I always would have wondered whether I should have gotten the interior light pack. The way I look at it now is that I consider I saved €300 not getting the interior light pack. Its something I always used to regret not getting after my dealer didn't really know what it was when I ordered. He said it was just vanity mirror lights so I didn't order it. I know the light pack wasn't just these overhead LED's but they were supposed to be the 'showpiece' part of the pack.

Very underwhelmed. Slight hint of red around the chrome gearstick trim and my hand is slightly red tinted when I change gear. Maybe I was expecting too much. Its not like I wanted to Chav up my interior either its just that its barely noticable to me never mind the casual observer.

Anyone know of any red replacement bulbs for the normal interior lights? :D

marriedblonde said:

J.
MB. Does this mean that with the part number quoted above I dont need the led light thingy, is that included with the panel?
If so would you please order one for me, if I need the led light too please can you order one of those as well?

Many thanks, STEVE..................

Hi, sorry its taken a while to get some pics up, my digital cam is on the blink and my phone cam doesn't take very good ones.

Steeve, the part number 8E0 947 135 D 6PS is the entire trim, including the main light and the reading lights AND the ambient lighting LEDs. I actually ordered the ambient LED module separately i found it was already in the light trim.

But for anyone about to order, please check the part number carefully as there are a HUGE number of different combinations (with/without airbag light, with/without sunroof, etc)

Must admit, the ambient LED is a bit overrated... hardly noticeable IMHO.

Just a quick query to those those fitted the replacement unit c/w map lights - is this literally a case of prising out the old and clicking in the new unit?

Oh, and for those with 3 doors - is there a light pack for the rear of the vehicle as well or is this purely for the Sportback?

Scaramanga

Just had a mail from VAGparts and they state that the interior trim Ref: 8E0 947 135 D 6PS does NOT include the ambient lights. Can you double check this is the case?

steeve said:
MB. Does this mean that with the part number quoted above I dont need the led light thingy, is that included with the panel?
If so would you please order one for me, if I need the led light too please can you order one of those as well?

Many thanks, STEVE..................

Hello Steve,

Sorry missed this! Just trying to get to the bottom of the part numbers and whats required!

I'll get back to you ASAP.

J.

I'll take one of what Scaramanga had (8E0 947 135 D 6PS - 2006 SLine black headlining, no airbag light in roof, no sunroof) if theres a mini group-buy in the offing :)

If not, I'll just get from vagparts.

marriedblonde said:
Hello Steve,

Sorry missed this! Just trying to get to the bottom of the part numbers and whats required!

I'll get back to you ASAP.

J.
Mines a March 2005 3 door 3.2, I havent noticed an air bag light in this panel (whats it look like?) and it has no sun roof........

Morning all.

Just had a confirmation from VAGparts that the code number noted above does indeed include the ambient lighting as first thought.

Please disregard my previous post.

Lenaldo said:
Just a quick query to those those fitted the replacement unit c/w map lights - is this literally a case of prising out the old and clicking in the new unit?

Oh, and for those with 3 doors - is there a light pack for the rear of the vehicle as well or is this purely for the Sportback?

Sorry to all for taking so long to get the pics up, been a busy week at work.

Lenaldo, the replacement isn't as simple as plug and play but it isn't too difficult.

Basically involves clipping off a couple of panels, then unscrewing the original trim. It'll come off but then all the cables need to be swapped over to the new trim before the new trim can be screwed into place.

The only tricky bit involved relocating the phone microphone (obviously only an issue if you have phone prep).