EGR Blanking cap

james0808

Reaction score
Ive been cleaning my inlet manifold and and EGR valve today.They was a right mess.This is what they was like.The pics are not that good its the crappy camera.
EGR valve.
inletdirty.jpg

Inlet manifold.
manifolddirty.jpg

This is the crud i scraped out.
manifoldbits.jpg

and after a bit of cleaning i was left with these.
EGRclean2.jpg

manifoldclean.jpg

Before i put it back on i want to disconnect thr EGR so it stays clean but will i get any running problems if i do?

James,

Is that all out of your TDI 130??? If so what milage have you done? And how easy is it to do the job, as i may have a look at mine!!

What differnece does the Blanking plate do?

Yes it was.There was even more than that when i had finished. Its really easy to do,just takes a couple of hours to remove and clean.I used contact cleaner and wet and dry once i scraped all that crap out.Ive got nearly 80k.The blanking cap stops the exhaust going back into the inlet,not good as its full of soot and hot.

Looks like mine wasnt that dirty after all,heres one i found on someone elses car.
4900richEGR-med1.jpg

I better get that egr blocked.

After reading a few threads about getting a CEL if i block the EGR i decided to unplug the pipe to the EGR Valve and try it.It drives lovely and no CEL,also got rid of an irritating whistle noise i had between 1000-2000 rpm.Im going to make my own blocking plate out of some steel to keep my inlet nice and clean.:arco:

Are there any purpose made caps for this purpose? or am I going to have to get out the file and make one up...

Also James, what gaskets did you need to buy to replace the ones when you removed the throttle flap?

There are caps but they are about £50,I just drew round the gasket on some steel and got the grinder to work making two blanking caps for free.I didn't replace any gaskets just put it back together with the old ones and no problems at all.

I think i'll be filing my way to happiness then, back to my old college days!

God even knows where i'll source some 4-5mm steel from!

I got mine out of my dads shed,any time i need something it's in there.You can use some thinner stuff for the inlet.

Will the egr come off by undoing 3 screws or is there more?
also does it drive better or anything once cleaned?
Finally the most important is there any seals that need to be replaced?

It will but your better off taking the inlet manifold off so you can clean that aswell.

Hi,
I blanked of the EGR valve feed pipe from the exhaust pipe, by putting in a copper blanking plate.
The engine fault code light come on after driving for 100 yards !!!
I checked the fault code and it came up with an error about the EGR outwith normal parameters.
I have had to remove the blanking plate and clear the fault code.
Anyone know how to stop this fault from re-occuring ?

2004 1.9 TDI PD 130, AVF engine

Thanks

just cleaned up my EGR and Inlet manifold.... my word what a load of crud!!! Im gonna try that VAGcom mod in the other post as Ive got a non PD 98 effort as I didnt have time to make up the EGR blanking plate.
Just out of curiosity, if you unplugged the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve, would that make it open more or less???
You would think less but then under boost the inlet and exhuast manifolds will be pressureised..... hmmmm....

why would anyone go to the hassle of making a blanking plate if you can simply unplug and block up the vacuum pipe?
Here was my Mess BTW..... 98 A3 AHF with 105k...
egr1.jpg

egr2.jpg

Well i am going to be doing this in my Jan holidays did you just steep the manifold in Petrol to losen off carbon

yeah there is a suprising amount of room back there! Well now Ive put it back together I'll do some mileage and see if there is any MPG improvement from the clean up and the VAGcom tweak in the other EGR post... then I'll try disconnecting the EGR vacuum pipe and see what happens.......
I needed to do it quickly so used some Jizer and brush but that doesnt work too well so I scraped most of it off with a flat bladed screwdriver and then use carb cleaner..... but there are bits in the inlet manifold that you just cant get to....

A small chisel taped to a long spring will reach the awkward areas in the manifold.

how do you clean inlet,is this got be sripped down?

excuse my ignorance but what the hell is an EGR Valve? what does it do? where is it? and how big a job is it to remove and clean???

i have a 2001 2.5 tdi quattro B6 chassis that has done over 100k and reading this has made me think i better check mine and give it a good clean!

please help! :think: