Loss of power on 1.8t

A4 TC

1.8T quattro sline
Reaction score
Was driving today enjoying the pleasures of the turbo,all was fine until got on to slip road of motorway when put foot down and nothing it was all flat and no woosh felt like a 1.0 litre. Feck I thought called a mate he suggests stop and turn car off and then turn car back on to see if it resets itself. Yes got the turbo back but now i get a like scraping sound when the turbo kicks in.:crying: Me mate had a listen and reckons egr valve phoned a german independant garage he thinks a boost pipe loose or split. Anybody had the same problem on theres ? and what was wrong? Cheers

Anyway its going to audi tomorow for them to fix as i have only 2 days of warrenty left, glad I got the car out today nearly didnt cause it might of rained. So just in time or could have faced a hefty bill.

From what you've described it sounds as though the turbo has blown.

A blown turbo is that possible the car has only done 12400 miles , my neighbour a member on here Mcgough thinks egr valve and I didnt see any smoke come out of exhausts but hey I aint got any mechanical knowledge at all so what would i know . and totally gutted its my toy and thats the first trouble ive had with it will find out from audi dropping it of later, and find out what really is at fault . cheers

I'm afraid so, my turbo went at 30,000 which isn't a high amount of mileage by any means.

I got no smoke as the turbo didn't completely fail, but I had no boost and the grinding drill noise when the turbo spooled. It may not be your turbo, but it certainly does sound like it at the moment.

Whatever it is you've got it in the dealer under warranty so no bill to face! Heard several stories of people finding split hoses and tiny pipes causing the turbo's to not work properly, hopefully wont be too serious so its not out of action for long.

Nickynibbles said:
Whatever it is you've got it in the dealer under warranty so no bill to face! Heard several stories of people finding split hoses and tiny pipes causing the turbo's to not work properly, hopefully wont be too serious so its not out of action for long.

To be honest if it was me, Id hope for the worse and atleast then you get a new turbo....with further warrenty!!!!

It is now dropped off at audi, took a tech out for a listen and reckons egr but will vag-com to see what comes up, will find out soon enough.

jase0851 said:
you havnt done the copex mod have you ?

only joking
Aint done nothing just get too drive it rarely and 1 minute nice turbo feeling the next nothing but then again i do have the hofele bumper fitted would that affect any airflow towards the engine and cause any problems.

A4 TC said:
Aint done nothing just get too drive it rarely and 1 minute nice turbo feeling the next nothing but then again i do have the hofele bumper fitted would that affect any airflow towards the engine and cause any problems.

na the bumper wouldnt make any difference

wont find out till monday to confirm , all i got from service reception was looks like a new turbo.

picking car up tomorow, It had new turbo, waterpump and solenoid valve fitted all under warranty . But found out the warranty on them parts fitted will expire when the original warranty expires is that correct? I dont fancy paying £650 for a years extended warranty from audi that i might not be using!

no mate the new parts should have there own individual warranty if its tyneside audi your using i am not suprised they are trying to pull a fast one they are part of the same group as teeside audi who i have had nowt but bother with not to put to fine a point on it teeside are **** no customer care at all

yes it is tyneside audi . I will question them again about warranty on the parts fitted when i pickup tomorrow.