Footwell lights - retrofit?

killa_z said:
was browsing around retrofits and came across this....
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=2536694

anyone tried this? seems like a nice mod

i dont understand how it requires programming of any sort with vagcom because i thought it would run the same as the interior lights and go on and off respectively as they do?

Just completed this retrofit myself, Including both fromt and rear footwell light and the door entry/warning lights

Cost about £80 for lights and 5 hours of stripping interior down. Could have taken a shorter time but I didn't want any wires showing so spent most of the time trying to feed the wiring through the trunking

You need Vagcom as the wiring comes from a seperate loom to the interior lighting and you need Vagcom to turn this feature on. Suppose you could just splice into the interior lamps but without trying it I'm pretty sure it would affect the brightness of all lighting as you'd be adding another 40watts onto a system thats only designed to run a 30watts.

Well worth the effort if you ask me.

wouldnt mind trying this

do you have the part numbers and list for whats needed?

thanks

yes please, part numbers and if possible some install guide:jump:

Was it a straight fit or did you have to cut anything?

MarcQuinlivan said:
Part numbers and install guide with relevant VAG-COM changes can be found in the link in the first post:

I know it says it is for the B7 A4, however I would suspect the parts are the same, and the wiring, etc., too.

The parts required are exactly the same as those in the the guide.
Just make sure you get the heatshieled ones if you are going to put the in the seats for the rear footwell lighting otherwise you may end up with a fire on your hands.

Its a really cheap addition and looks very good when done. There is also no cutting or anything to be done as the apertures are already there to fit the lights straight into.

I have not done the puddle lights in the doors. I always thought it very strange that the S-Line doesn't get these as standard anyway.

marms said:
The parts required are exactly the same as those in the the guide.
Just make sure you get the heatshieled ones if you are going to put the in the seats for the rear footwell lighting otherwise you may end up with a fire on your hands.

Its a really cheap addition and looks very good when done. There is also no cutting or anything to be done as the apertures are already there to fit the lights straight into.

I have not done the puddle lights in the doors. I always thought it very strange that the S-Line doesn't get these as standard anyway.

The puddle lights (Door Entry Light) were the only bit of cutting I had to do. Not to sure if it's already cut out on other cars but mine obviously wasn't. Very easy to do anyway.

Thought about doing a guide but to be honest most of the info is on the fortitude links (Even though it is possible to route cables so they are not visible unlike link) The only problem anyone will face is working out how to removing the interior parts to route the wiring. if anyone has any questions on how to do this feel free to ask

Von Maximo said:
The puddle lights (Door Entry Light) were the only bit of cutting I had to do. Not to sure if it's already cut out on other cars but mine obviously wasn't. Very easy to do anyway.

Thought about doing a guide but to be honest most of the info is on the fortitude links (Even though it is possible to route cables so they are not visible unlike link) The only problem anyone will face is working out how to removing the interior parts to route the wiring. if anyone has any questions on how to do this feel free to ask

So were the connectors in the door loom ready for the puddle lights as I though that you have to replace the door looms in order to install the puddle lights (can't believe the A3 doesn't have them my Golf IV did).

I can't recall seeing them when I had the panels off to do my ICE install.

Paul

That is just what I was thinking.

I don't think the loom in my door includes the plugs for the active rear reflector or puddle light. I guess VonMaximo possibly just wired the puddle light into the footwell light circuit but that is not the way I would want to go.

The puddle lights should only illuminate when the respective door is opened. I had a look at finding the part number for the loom but didn't really get anywhere.

Hi,

Has anyone else managed to do this?
I wanted to include the lighting in the door triggers aswell.

Can you change the bulbs for the footwell lighting mod, so it's red like dash/inteior lights?

p

Thanks for your obvious research there Dave. I find the footwell lights rather garish. Something more sophisticated would be a major advance.

How much would you guys think that doing the retro fit of the interior light pack would cost?

Thats is... just the door triggers and doorlights aswell as the footwell lighting as the reading lights are damn easy to install.

I regret not having this in my A3! Actually its the most annoying thing thats bugging me as this is what i asked for and there was a mixup!

Grr.

Slightly OT but I have the interior light pack as part of the SE spec but noticed on here someone mentioned rear footwell lights - is this a standard part of the interior light pack as I don't appear to have them ? Have all the other stuff like the front footwells, puddle lights, front and back map lights and of course the ambient downlight but just wondering if my rear footwell should be lit ?

Anyone know ?

I have the lighting pack as well on my SE and there are no lights for the rear footwells. I did have a look the other day and there are cut-outs in the rear seats for the light units but nothing in them.

marms said:
That is just what I was thinking.

I don't think the loom in my door includes the plugs for the active rear reflector or puddle light. I guess VonMaximo possibly just wired the puddle light into the footwell light circuit but that is not the way I would want to go.

The puddle lights should only illuminate when the respective door is opened. I had a look at finding the part number for the loom but didn't really get anywhere.

Good guess marms, Thats how I done it. Although if you wanted to go down the OEM route you would have to either replace the door control unit with one that has the correct pin layout on the connector or adapt the one you have. And as the control box is a sealed unit I didn't want to run the risk of openning it up and damaging it just to get to a door switch.

Seeing that if you trace the power back to the main relay box you'll find that all the footwell and door lighting comes from the same output anyway So it seemed daft to go to all that expense of a new control unit just so it illuminated a door thats was open and not one that wasn't. Although if I had the money. . . .

drnutta said:
How much would you guys think that doing the retro fit of the interior light pack would cost?

Thats is... just the door triggers and doorlights aswell as the footwell lighting as the reading lights are damn easy to install.

I regret not having this in my A3! Actually its the most annoying thing thats bugging me as this is what i asked for and there was a mixup!

Grr.

£80 parts + Vag.com to switch it on + 4 to 5 Hours labour for fitting = Your answer

That included rear footwell lighing aswell!

ok got the parts for this, but have a really dumb question.

Which one is pin 7?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/mousejunior/DSC01022.jpg

I cannot find markings on this at all, just the Audi logo on the side. There is also no pin markings on any of the other plugs in those A,B,C etc blocks.
My RNS has the plug and the unit marked so it was easy to do the bluetooth etc installs, and I dont want to risk something here on this install.

Thanks!

sakkie69 said:
ok got the parts for this, but have a really dumb question.

Which one is pin 7?
[URL="http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/mousejunior/DSC01022.jpg"][/URL]

I cannot find markings on this at all, just the Audi logo on the side. There is also no pin markings on any of the other plugs in those A,B,C etc blocks.
My RNS has the plug and the unit marked so it was easy to do the bluetooth etc installs, and I dont want to risk something here on this install.

Thanks!

Not all the pins on the plug are marked. If I remember only pins 1,7 & 12 are marked. Think it's due to lack of space on plug.

I can tell you for certain that pin 7 is located on the far right hand side as you look at it in situ so thats narrowed it down to just two pins. If you can wait till tomorrow night I'll be able to tell you for sure wether its the front or back one.

The markings to identify the plugs i.e. A,B,C etc can be found on the main supply control unit itself. Just use a mirror to look up and you'll see them

Yeah the A, B, C etc plugs I found easily. But none of my plugs have numbering on it. Like you said, some plugs have the corners marked (1, 7, etc) either in the plug or the socket, mine has no markings anywhere bar an Audi logo and I looked at all the plugs (A, B, C etc)

So yeah, if you can find out which one is pin 7 that would be awesome. I assume it would be adding the pin instead of splicing existing one?

Hey Sakkie,

Pic below showing connector. On mine you can see the numbers 1, 6, 7 & 12 showing in each corner. Strange how yours doesn't have these markings but atleast you can use this pic to see from where the feed is taken from. Number 7 is the Yellow cable (Just in case! lol)

Have you already purchased this yellow cable/pin or "Repair cable" as Audi call it? As there will be nothing located in No.7 to splice onto.

Yeah I got all the cables/lights/etc for the install.

Thanks for the pic! Yeah, I was with my little flashlight upside down in the car looking all over but no pinouts to be found... I guess here in SA we get the "stealth" or cheap wiring looms :)

I'll see if I can snap some pics of mine to show it...

Nice effect, but it looks a right pain to sort out!!

Hi all how do you do the coding with Vagcom 10.6 theres no byte 00 theres a byte 0 cant work it out help please

Hi thanks that was a great help, the link let me work it out its not byte 00 its byte 0 were you need to do the change, didn't what to do anything and **** it up. Got it all working now apart from vagcom does not let me test the light level thanks again

and 5 hours of stripping interior down. so spent most of the time trying to feed the wiring through the trunking

Well worth the effort if you ask me.

It's an hour job and why did you go through the trunk. Robin A3 has a great DIY and I bought the kit and footlights work wonders