Ambient Light Pack

I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Anyone got experience of retro-fitting one of these?

Is installation as simple as "2 screws plug 'n' play" as mentioned on vagparts.com?

Also what is the air-bag warning operation mentioned?

Any pics with ambient lights on would be appreciated to.

Cheers
Ron

I got mine from vag parts - best phone them and give your chassis number so you get the correct colour combination as they did not list my colour when i rang them

it is a simple and easy installation - just literally pop it off with a flat head screw driver and remove the essential bits from the current light and fit it to the ambient one - job done!

What does this have over the standard one? Is it just the map reading lights?

map reading lights and the two red LEDs.

I got mine from VAGParts too - simple 5 minute install as per boydie's comments.

the airbag thing is for if you have the key on the left hand side of the glovebox to disable the passenger airbag. I think this puts a light up on the overhead cluster to show that the airbag is disabled. If you don't have the key in the glovebox for disabling the airbag then you don't need to order the light pack with the airbag light.

Thanks to one and all for your replies. That's another job added to the "to do" list.

Cheers
Ron

I'mRonBurgundy? said:
Also what is the air-bag warning operation mentioned?

Any pics with ambient lights on would be appreciated to.

Some cars have the "airbag switched off" warning light next to the ESP off button and some have it mounted in the front of the roof light unit.

Here's a pic I pinched from TSN, it's an 8L though.
898958-Atnight2.JPG

and a fitting guide here You can get just the LED module and fit it to your unit, but if you want the reading lights too, then it's a new part.

Going to ask a silly question here when do the little red led's come on ?

Richard

How do these Ambient Light's work then?

Are these on when you put you headlights on, can you switch them off?

Hmm, I think they would **** me off a bit when driving if you cant turn them off. I seem to have all kinds of lights in my car, even the centre armrest lights up red when I lift the lid, but I dont have these fitted.

How much have people paid for the kit with the LEDs?

OK so what do you get for your £60 in the kit from VAGParts.com then?

I assumed that it was the complete unit (bulbs, the lot) but after some of your posts I'm thinking now it's just the plastic cover and I'll need to buy the LED's separate.

cost was about £40 IIRC from Vag Parts

took less than 5 mins to fit (did it last Sunday with a severe hangover)

allows me to skin up at the lights without having to switch the courtesy lights on

please note - only 2 of those statements are true

sleep envy said:
cost was about £40 IIRC from Vag Parts

took less than 5 mins to fit (did it last Sunday with a severe hangover)

allows me to skin up at the lights without having to switch the courtesy lights on

please note - only 2 of those statements are true

£52+shipping?

honestly can't remember as I bought it before Xmas along with a bunch of other stuff - bill came to over £1k as I had ordered parts for a mate's and my father's car

I've been in my car on many dark nights accompanied by the red glow from all the instruments and switches plus the softly diffused red illuminatiion from the light pack. I now know where all the U-Boat designers fled to at the end of World War 2.

dont the leds dim anyway, when you adjust the strength in the cabin?

The ones in my current car do. Any unless you stick your hand right under them you dont really notice they are on at all, just a soft glow projected directly down.