Update time

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Ok after my baby feeling sorry for herself while i saved to buy her what she needed, well the clutch arrived on Tuesday but needs special bolts so have ordrered them and the new gearbox mounts for the 6 speed :hubbahubba:
100_1116.jpg

While the engine bay was empty i thought i would install the gear linkage,

old one
100_1105.jpg

new one
100_1106.jpg

Linkages side by side
100_1111.jpg

Only pitfall is i lose the Quick shift, ahh well !!:wtf:

Differences between boxes, not a lot in length but the six speed must be at least 20kg heavier
100_1104.jpg

The reverse switch was different so i hacked it apart to access the connectors to mount the old wiring on.
100_1110.jpg

100_1109.jpg

Now i am stuck as none of the 3 sets of shafts will work and i have no idea which ones would go straight in if any, so i am going to try to get the 130mm inners that fit the box machined to fit my original shafts. Anyone help here??:sos::sos:
100_1107.jpg

seems like its about to stop here, it seems its impossible to get shafts remade for decent cost etc etc, and tbh i cannot afford to just keep buying shafts till one fits.

Anyone please??

are using a fwd a4 1.8T clutch with the 6 speed box? also std flywheel?

is it worth using diesel gearbox, driveshafts and then changing the hub carrier to match? would that match up to the rest of the suspension? just a thought?

simon, 1.8t LWFW and clutch.Diesel 'box and i was gonna use the inner CV's from the v6 box i have but they wont fit the shafts etc .

So i either get 2.5tdi uprights,bearings,flanges and shafts or set fire to the ****** thing,lol

On a good note i stripped and cleaned the APU engine and it does have a new oil pump fitted as hoped and i made sure all of the gunk was as clean as it could be. Also found out it has an AEB head on it, only the guy i bought it from spent a small fortune buying "the right" head for it,and all someone did was smooth out the AEB marking, he he

tbh i dont know. I know the ones in the 1.8t box are a press/push fit and the 6 sp looks like it has an allen screw in the centre. I can get custom shafts made for 187 each, thats not too bad as i guess it means i done lose my new wheel bearings and the like.

I have a phone call to make tomorrow to see if the all seeing eye can help point me in a different direction before i take the plunge

I found out waht the rattle was on my old engine

Bits of shell in sump.
100_1119.jpg

Shells welded to journal
100_1118.jpg

State of the journal
100_1117.jpg

Number one journal is the best one and that has picked up slightly so i suppose the "rattle" i had was bottom end . My head was telling me it was, i just thought it cant be etc etc etc

good news about the head then. not so good news about the old engine. but hey you have a spare block to build up.

let us know how you get on with gearbox stuff, this i maybe interested in as mine is past best and clutch and flywheel need doing as well.

not convinced gearing is going to be suitable though.

If the gearing wont work its too late now,lol

I believe we have overcome the shaft problem, after various conversations it would appear there are some 108mm output flanges available that will fit this 'box.

Just to see where i need to re mount the box mounting point i shoved it in the car ( my back now broken)

Whole box
100_1128.jpg

Passenger side, see how the gearbox mount is too low, i aim to get a drivers side subframe mount cut off and weld it to my frame in the right place. Any spare subframes kicking around?
100_1129.jpg

Drivers side
100_1130.jpg

On a positive note, i can select all of the gears with the linkage loosly assembled and it looks like my slave cylinder will fit also

so what was the gearbox out of again?, would it not be better to make a custom bracket for the mount, instead of chopping subframe?

2003 Passat 130 TDi. 01E box,
If i had not just spent a fortune buying brand new OEM gearbox mounts maybe i would have done, but i think i could weld a new mounting point onto the subframe easier than making a mount to bolt to the box ect

I dont really understand the question, but i hope to have a working gearbox, all be it a six speed and a working engine as mine self destructed. All on the smallest budget possible

I don't understand - why is the gearbox mount on the passenger's side sitting underneath the subframe, or is that how it's meant to fit?

its not supposed to be there, its hanging from that long bolt to just see where things lined up. I aim to use a drivers side subframe mount and weld it to the pass side in the correct position for the box to sit on. At the mo it wants to sit on top and forward of the mount as it stands.But i would be unable to use the mounting rubbers etc properly so i am going to cut it off and weld a new one in place as soon as i get one ;-)

Subframe moddified with the same type of mount thats on the drivers side. I thought this was easier to do than trying to make a gearbox mount seeing as i had just bought an OE one anyway,lol
100_1131.jpg

i tell you now your going to have fun with that clutch mate :)

mine isnt even a paddle but **** me its hard you need big legs if you running a single mass flywheel

im on the stage 4 DXD with flywheel also you get a lot of judder in gears if your not going fast or if you down gear.

wahhoo, i gotta get one, it feel like i'm driving a track car. j/k :)

So where you able to buy the mount for the subframe or did you get another right leg and cut it off ?

Ok she is running and driving now, i ended up getting V6 uprights and shafts ( although one is wrong, more in a min) So the APU engine seems to pull strongly and the box changes cleanly, but you guys were right about yhe clutch, its a right pain !!!!

Ok i was given the shafts and one was about 4 inches shorter, so i went back to the breaker and got a replacement, it was longer and seemed to fit ok. I found out by looking that its the same one as is already on the car, so puts pressure on thye flanges causing a grumble, so i have not driven far. I have on the right 8d0 407 272 bb (dt)
and the same on the left,i think the left should be 8d0 407 271 bb (DT) But i cannot be sure as i have no way of checking the lengths. I need the left one to be slightly shorter as per OE i think anyway. Anyone have a spare V6 Drivshaft set kicking around they can measure?
Oh at 80 in 6th its running 25:puke2:00 ish but dont want to push it till i am sure of this shaft etc etc

Nice one thats wicked news mate, im going to rip all the info and part numbers from this for when i do it :)

You welcome matey, i just gotta sort this driveshaft thing out and i will list everything i can think of that i did etc etc

EDIT : Just checked the old shafts and although its not much difference its obviously enough, If i was OE ride height i bet i wouldnt notice
100_1135.jpg

Thats it i am going to cry !!! I got the right shaft, fitted it to the passenger side ( left??? ) Assuming i have that right. And the Whine is still there when driving, its full of oil, anyone any tips?

Trust me to buy a dud !!

I will make a recording later for shits and giggles, but am am proper ****** off. Does anyone here rebuild boxes??

I do not understand your comment, I have an APU engine with an AEB large port head,K04-15 turbo, decat, 3 inch stainless exhaust, Custom remap, coilovers etc ect so I do not aim for any more power than that why do you ask?????

My car is being used as a Guinea pig to try different things and i have learnt a lot that i was trying to share with anyone thats interested,if you are not interested go post elsewhere

Oh at 60 in 6th its running 2800 ish but dont want to push it till i am sure of this shaft etc etc
Are you sure. It seemd very high revs for a 6 speed box. My 5 speed sits at 60 at 2400rpm

My car is being used as a Guinea pig to try different things and i have learnt a lot that i was trying to share with anyone thats interested,if you are not interested go post elsewhere

Thanks mate for taking the time to post everything you have done. Especially the pictures. This is what forums are all about:friends:

Couldn't really hear much from the video.

Is the whine present in all gears? Does it reduce / stop on overrun?

What are the correct part numbers now for the drive shafts you used ?

Also there is a very loud noise there dies it go up and down with the revs etc? Does it dissapear when the clutch is depressed?

gets louder with speed, no difference on overrun. maybe a very slight difference when full acceleration. It doesnt dissapear with the clutch sadly. Now i have either damaged it myself by driving 2 miles with the wrong length shaft fitted, and that in turn put pressure on the output fanges of the box.

I have the right side as 8d0 407 272bb and the left as 8do 407 171 bb, i also took right to be drivers side and left passenger, thats right isnt it?
Oil is full, i will be draining and changing tomorrow anyway just to be 110% on that.

At the end of the video the noise is most prevelent, she drives ok just has this annoying noise,lol

Any chance you have killed your wheel bearing with the longer shaft?

Cheers for the above i so want to do this to my car :)

stick with it good buddy, we are all learning here. bit or moral support needed???

Indeed, you so close mate to having an awesome car just how you want it stick with it :) you are the pioneer for us.

Mate this has been a great project costly at times but great. I would carry on using the car till box gives up the gost and look for a spare in the mean time.