SP51X (Hybrid K04-15)

docurley

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.co.uk
Well after buying a Dead K04-15 from Canada for $200 I now have a rebuilt Hybrid K04-15 SP51 nickname Outlaw.

And here she is

21052008002.jpg

21052008004.jpg

21052008001.jpg

Plan are to fit her in two weeks time before I go on holiday (finger crossed) and then when I get back to install my secondhand Stage III southbends Clutch ($100) providing I sort out a single mass flywheel.

Once this is done custon Exhaust will be on the cards before a Remap.

I have big hopes for the turbo so we will see how it goes.

Nice one.. bet you can't wait to get it all together and get out for a test run. Keep us posted.

This is very interesting, can not wait to see what figures you guys get!!

I want to eventually get an eliminator but may consider one of these if the numbers are good.

That turbo looks like a good spec doc will be good to see the figures from this setup. Did you not want to go for a larger manifold or a performance one for it at all?

This is very interesting, can not wait to see what figures you guys get!!

I want to eventually get an eliminator but may consider one of these if the numbers are good.

When I spoke to Jim at Star about the purchasing an eliminator kit, he said that he was having trouble with some that had failed within a period of being installed in customers' cars. Said the supplier was being a bit awkward by not shipping replacements out without the old units being returned.

Iirc, eliminators are turbos that have been rebuilt to a particular spec? Anyway, it put me off them.

N

afaik the eliminators are garrett GT series turbos which had turbine housings specifically designed to bolt directly to the standard manifold?

well I did want to build a GT28RS setup but funds are not there. But the K04 looked like a good cheap option with the SP51 and buying a dead K04 was even more appealing. So with the conversion I now have a turbo that is specked out to the TT225 K04 turbo which when chipped produces about 280bhp. The manifold may come later but as reports have shown it moves the power band so it may be an option later.

Have you guys measured the inlet on these turbos?

Here are measurements for comparison off Byzan's link above.

K04-15 - 28.25mm
K04-23 - 43.10mm

I always thought a K04-23 would not fit because they were different orentation, but looking at those pics they are the same so it could be fitter to the A4

This what I had done

Sean K:

At this point you will need a new K04 shaft unfortunately we have a slight waiting period since recently selling out.
There are 8 new K04-023 shafts arriving in 2 weeks and we will hold 1 shaft for this project at your request.

The upgrade I have in mind has our largest wheel options for the K04-015 and includes the SP51X compressor.
The "X" wheel will be tied to a K04-023 turbine shaft, this shaft is found specifically on Audi Motorsport cars.
This upgrade requires re-profiling of the turbine housing to accept the larger K04-023 turbine shaft.

The K04-023 has approximately 3mm larger inducer compared to the K04-015 sharing the same exducer.
In addition this upgrade includes the over-sized SP51X compressor wheel, updated Bearing Housing with "twin-feed"
oil canals and every CHRA that leaves this workshop is tested to the extreme.

David,

Your turbo is new, we don't use regenerated components on SP51 projects.
Everything is new except for the turbine manifold & compressor housing.

Remember try not to exceed normal EGT levels, the turbine manifolds on these turbos become brittle if you run to lean. If you have a "cherry" under the hood after a hard drive consider additional fuel. A "red" turbine manifold looks cool but its a time bomb that will need our services in the future.

Thanks,
Sean

So these are K04-23's then?? or a Hybrid of a 15 and 23?

Why haven't i herd of people using a k04-23 before? Seeing i'm reverting back to the standard k03 setup for a while, while i get my money back in order.. I'll be looking for a big upgrade like one of these turbos again prob before the year is out. :)

I think its a hybrid of the two, as they need to machine the compressor housing and the exducer/manifold housing. I hope its like my SP1 was before i blew it up and boosts a bit lower than my current K04-15, it means it will work better again with my gearing i now have

Mine is here now also, so i thought i would update the pics to include the compressor turbine shape and the machining on the exducer side.
100_1360.jpg

100_1362.jpg

100_1363.jpg

For shits and giggles, comparison between a k03 and the SP1x
100_1366.jpg

100_1367.jpg