Prosport Rolling road day results

phantom

On Boost
Reaction score
ScannedImage.jpg

As you can see the Std car's are making well above " book " figures.

I'll leave you lot to chew on it for a bit , i'm going to bed! :bye:

Thanks lads , it was a great day , and a bit thanks to Prosport too!:applaus:

leon

which cars had the GIAC hammer map do you know?

That's really interesting!
Did we find out who was using what fuel????
This may have talked me out of going down the chip route now.... unless you're going to the effort of jonnyc the gains are minimal!

Yeah nice to meet ya'll :)

Was kind strange seeing so many 8P s3's in one spot!!

G;ad you had good day, shame I was working :(

Would be interesting to know which had the hammer remap...

I'm going to be ordering my EvoMs intake asap :)

interesting.

Bluefin not looking too good, explains why some people say they cant feel any difference from a standard map.

Revo, GIAC and CC all looking pretty decent.

Might get booked in for a revo remap now.

Interseting results there chaps.. Looks like the rollers read about 10bhp over what Awesome's do going by Phantoms, Zboyd (run his 3 times at Awesome recently and all around 304/5bhp) etc.
Looks like the Bluefin query has been answered then.. lol No more than standard power (explains why that lad's was the same as a standard one when on road)..
Also looks like the S3's are gaining about 20-25bhp from a decent map (Revo ;)), as apposed to Cupras/Ed30's making 50bhp (but mapped less standard). Still worth doing though, so long as it's a decent map..
Nice results though chaps, especially for JonnyC (had a feeling it'd make near 340bhp too)..
Some nice standard powered S3's out there too.. ;)

Good fun today, was cool to have a chat with you guys and see so many S3's in one place!!

Pleased with the results from the day, good to see the graph from my car, would certainly benefit from a fuel pump in the midrange comparing my trace to the Cupra that was there.. Although, it would also benefit from a GT3071R turbo:eyebrows:

Now get some pics up asap!! :)

Jonny

Phantom (Leon)

Thanks for organising a great meeting. And thanks must also go to Prosport who have a really professional outfit there, very friendly guys too.

Me and my brother-in-law (yes the young lad with me was my wifes brother) had a great time. We couldn't believe how many S3's were there - best turn out of S3's I've ever seen. Great to meet you all too.

As for the results, of standard cars, the figures don't lie but....I can't help feeling a little sceptical. No offence to Prosport or anything. It just doesn't feel like there is 291bhp under my right foot. Perhaps knocking 10bhp off might be about right.

I did some tests ages ago with VAG-COM measuring torque and air-mass, and rough calcs brought the car out at around 270bhp. So you could do a mental average of the two.

But I'm happy, and I'll look forward to the next meeting!

Cheers

AL

To all you guys that made the trip to sunny? Stockport today.

Thanks from all at Prosport for an enjoyable event.

Hope you all enjoyed it as well, and had safe journies home.

Cheers

AndyD Prosport

Great day Prosport...... and thanks to Leon for arranging........:o.k:

now where did i put my 15-25bhp:moa:

Has anyone uploaded any pics yet? saw quite a few being taken - get em up:thumbsup:

But who has more power at the wheels!Ben and zboyd!

A fascinating day - and great to put faces to some names (Kontraband doesn't even look like a drugsmuggler !). Cheers Leon.

My thoughts coming away were these: £450 gets you Bluefin - which offers ZERO gain over a standard S3. £600 gets you GIAC which offers around 11bhp over standard (compare Kontraband's and QuickNick's results). These figures suggest that remaps just aren't worth it unless you "do a jonny" and go the whole hog with different intakes and exhausts. Jonny your car was phenomenal - over 40bhp above Standard and WHAT A SOUND !

I came away thinking 2 things:

1. Remaps on their own aren't worth the small gains on show - you HAVE to mod further.

2. I wish I'd ordered white !! It is THE best colour.

Cheers for a truly fascinating day !

A fascinating day - and great to put faces to some names (Kontraband doesn't even look like a drugsmuggler !). Cheers Leon.

My thoughts coming away were these: £450 gets you Bluefin - which offers ZERO gain over a standard S3. £600 gets you GIAC which offers around 11bhp over standard (compare Kontraband's and QuickNick's results). These figures suggest that remaps just aren't worth it unless you "do a jonny" and go the whole hog with different intakes and exhausts. Jonny your car was phenomenal - over 40bhp above Standard and WHAT A SOUND !

1. Remaps on their own aren't worth the small gains on show - you HAVE to mod further.

Yeah I was surprised as to how little the mapped cars offer in peak figures but I can assure you that before and after mapping (without any other mods) my car was much faster, certainly puts a chunk of extra power and torque in the mid range and makes the car much more drivable and flexible..

Still think that a re-map is well worth doing, GIAC especially IMO..

Yeah it did bring a smile to my face seeing my car on the dyno, sounded ace I thought, not to everyones taste im sure but I love it:)

Jonny

I would take a " guess " that the Prosport rollers are very accurate mayself.

Vorhees had he's RR last month and got " bang on " the same figures.

Jonnyc ran a 350bhp on a local ( to him ) RR , today he got 237bhp , so in that case the rollers are not over reading.

The same can be said with all the mapped cars ( apart from SI3ZZO ) who got a tad over what REVO claim.

The GIAC cars were down on what the Tunner claims.

A couple of the 8L lads got less than expected.

So i really don't think the rollers were generous.

Which brings me on to the Std cars , 285-294bhp seems a lot , but what we witnessed later/above of cars not making expected figures we can't say the rollers were over reading!

I think we need to accept it now that Std cars make well above book figures.

p

Yeah I would agree with the Prosport rollers being fairly conservative.. I wouldnt say that they were over reading at all..

Standard cars are making very good power for sure, pretty impressive considering the 265hp book figures..

i couldnt make the RR day, so went myself with 4 different maps to test on my 2.0tdi

my car has a decat downpipe and pipeworx custom exhaust, and in addition we ran 4 maps:

1) standard
2) bluefin
3) celtic tuning 0.25 bar boost
4) celtic tuning 0.35 bar boost

we did a lot of runs cos i just didnt believe the results, which are

1) standard - 187hp, 324lb/ft
2) bluefin (0.2bar) - 204hp, 360lb/ft
3) celtic 0.25 bar - 206hp, 366lb/ft
4) celtic 0.35 bar - 206hp, 360lb/ft

each run was done twice and came within a fraction of 1 hp, so the RR was very
consistent.

either something was wrong with the RR on the day, or my car is a lot more powerful
than i thought (i dont believe that) - the factory chip said 187hp but i can believe 150-155 after reading around, and the bluefin only added about 20hp.

being a diesel, extra air from a decat and fancy exhaust isnt going to give me any extra hp unless its remapped to do so, and the bluefin and standard chip certainly werent designed to do that.

It may have only increased the bhp by 11 or so, but a gain of about 30 lb/ft of torques (as Jeremy would say). It's far better to drive now than standard, which I knew as soon as I'd had it done.

IMHO, remaps are worth having done on their own -it improves the driveability of the car no end.

I'm glad I stuck with silver - Ibis/Phantom/Sprint are far too common these days! :moa:

Gutted for you mate ( honest :thumbsup: ) i think i will still get a remap ( in time ) not so much for the peak figures , but for the extra Oooomhp all over the rev range, faster spool up/hitting peak torque sooner and holding it longer.

I'll just wait till i'm flush and start getting a bit used to the Std power

p

Even if the GIAC remap isnt making the bhp that they claim, the way it alters power delivery as well as the proven power increase above it is worth it...

...I've put mine back to stock for now and the difference seems big.

Next on the list for me is APR Fuel Pump & an EvoMs Air Intake :thumbsup:

hmmm, not that impressive peak figures with the hammer map I must say. It feels so much faster than stock so I was expecting more.

I guess it feels faster thanks to all the extra torque and mid-range power.

Well done for organising a great day Leon, nice to put names to faces, It was good to see so many S3's lined up with a derv stuck in the corner. Its a same I had to shoot before grub time as I had to get the car to the stealers. Managed to get there 2 minutes before service department closed and pick up the loan car (great big A6 Sline)

My 2.0TDI produced 209bp on the RR
Its got the Upsolute map which claims to produce 173hp and 291 ft/lb so happy with the figures.
Would of been nice to get a torque reading but the RR machine couldn't seem to pick up an RPM reading from my alternator. another run was offered but I had to get away

My Plot...

scan0001edt800x600.jpg

We still seem to be focused on peak power figures. Looking at AL_B's stock plot it's 284 ftlb @ 4590 rpm. In comparrison my (GIAC) made 309bhp peak ...... not great i hear you say compared with some good stock figures, however the mapped car reached max torque of 317ftlb @ 3210 rpm. So the figures are mapped makes 33ftlb torque extra 1380 rpm sooner. The remap offers a small overall gain in bhp but beefs up the smile factor range all the way up to peak figures. In short the mapped car is not phenomonaly faster than stock but has a broader power band making the car a better drive. I'm not trying to defend nor sell the remap but just giving feedback as i see it for you to make an informed decision.
The choice is yours :uhm:

Anyway, great day out. Big thanks to Leon for organising and Prosport and their service which was spot on. Good to see some faces.

Kris

Great day everyone, nice to meet you all. Whens the next meet?

GIAC remap here I come.

Any pics / videos guys?

David:yellowrs4:

Ok, well ive got some photos to post.

If u have an issue with reg plates showing then let me know and i'll pull them down asap (Does it really matter)??

Forgive me btw im shitfaced and its 4am. (what am i doing at my PC @ 4am??) well i was acutally planning to shut it down after Dlling Debbie does dallas whilst i was out but couldnt resist a quick glance at as.net so :p

P1010104.jpg

P1010105.jpg

P1010106.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010109.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010116.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010119.jpg

P1010121.jpg

Spin in the background, still trying to flog that carbonio!! Ive got 50 notes here mate :)
P1010122.jpg

P1010123.jpg

P1010125.jpg

Great pics Leon – white still looks best !
Let me put my point another way – I think anyone contemplating a remap needs to be aware that the gains you will make (whether its bhp or lb/ft) are not the gains the companies selling you the map will claim.

Take Phantom’s standard car and compare it with a GIAC remapped car. The facts are these:

Power (bhp) gain: 4% (294 up to 305)
Torque (lb/ft) gain: 8% (306 to 332)

GIAC themselves quote:

Power (bhp) gain: 17% (261 up to 306)
Torque (lb/ft) gain: 25% (258 to 323)

What any prospective re-mapper needs to decide is whether the ACTUAL gains of 4% and 8% are worth the investment.

My torque has a got a spike in it ( it's been there on all my plots ) so the 306lbft dosen't last long.

What are you planning on doing now Iggu?

p

Great pics Leon – white still looks best !
Let me put my point another way – I think anyone contemplating a remap needs to be aware that the gains you will make (whether its bhp or lb/ft) are not the gains the companies selling you the map will claim.

Take Phantom’s standard car and compare it with a GIAC remapped car. The facts are these:

Power (bhp) gain: 4% (294 up to 305)
Torque (lb/ft) gain: 8% (306 to 332)

GIAC themselves quote:

Power (bhp) gain: 17% (261 up to 306)
Torque (lb/ft) gain: 25% (258 to 323)

What any prospective re-mapper needs to decide is whether the ACTUAL gains of 4% and 8% are worth the investment.

For me the gains _felt_ a lot more than 4/8%. If you are thinking of shelling out 600 notes on a remap I recommend asking for a ride/drive in one of the mapped cars on as.net first to help you decide it is definitely worth it! ;-)