BBC iPlayer

Caesium

My BM is fixed!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
god damn it, it wont install on xp64!

What is wrong with software developers, the xp64 OS is not new ***!

Yep, it's not new, but it's almost dead in the water now mate...

You and I both know that it was always under-developed, and application support was therefore always a little shaky. Microsoft didn't really plough much resource into it because basically they were pushed into it. AMD jumped the gun with 64-bit (because the mainstream still doesn't need 64-bit address space) and everyone else had to get onboard or appear 'behind' to the masses.

The problem you're up against now is that XP64 is coming to the end of its lifecycle and Redmond is way too busy trying to fix Vista than to be worrying too much about a product that's getting a bit long in the tooth and never span so much money for them.

So, are you trying to use some sort of standalone iPlayer business? I thought you can view the content if you have Media Player 11 (and maybe Silverlight too?)?

Regards,

Rob.

Shame, because its such a solid operating system. I never have any issues with it.
except drivers n/w that is.

slightly OT, but dont you need a 64 bit OS to benefit from more than 8gb ram?

nerd.gif

Ok I googled it,

in 9x/me max was 512mb that it could utilize effectivly

but win 2k and xp 32bit OS is 4gb due to allocation limits and anything over 4gig you need a 64bit OS, so are we to assume a 64bit OS can only handle a max of 8gb

Apparently any one program can only run 2gb in its address space on xp.

:tumble: Can we talk about beer now or something please?

Whats a beer? Behavior Expectation, Erroneous Results??

Just to clarify things a little further for those of us interested in the geekier side of things... 32bit Operating Systems/Applications have a physical limit of 4GB's worth of address space. Windows XP (or any other 32bit OS) will allow for up to 4GB... You can go beyond 2GB. The main issue after around the 2GB level is caused because every bit of hardware in your machine takes up some of the address space. So, if you imagine the memory controller, I/O controllers, hard drive controller(s), graphics accelerator, sound chip, and everything else, will all have a memory address assigned to them so that applications can 'talk' to them via their drivers. This is where you hit problems, because all these addresses are deducted from the available 4GB range first and what's left is available for actual physical memory. So, you can have 4GB available in Windows XP, but only if your machine has no hardware at all, a basic machine might get as much as 3.5GB, but realistically with todays specs you're looking at between 2GB and 3GB depending on how complex your hardware setup is.

BIOS Memory-Remapping can go some way to get around this problem, but it's very Mainboard-specific, on some of them it will make a positive difference, others negative, others still none at all...

Regards,

Rob.

so are we to assume a 64bit OS can only handle a max of 8gb

I forgot to answer that one...

Theoretically no...

In a 32bit environment, 4GB is the theoretical maximum address space... With 64bit addressing, the theoretical maximum is 16 exabytes; which equates to a tad over 17 billion gigabytes (17.2 to split hairs). However, that's only theoretical. In practical terms it comes down to what OS coders are prepared to write their kernel to do. In the case of Vista 64bit Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions, that's 128GB. In the case of Home Premium it's 16GB and so on...

Regards,

Rob.

I forgot to answer that one...

Theoretically no...

In a 32bit environment, 4GB is the maximum theoretical maximum address space... With 64bit addressing, the theoretical maximum is 16 exabytes; which equates to a tad over 17 billion gigabytes (17.2 to split hairs). However, that's only theoretical. In practical terms it comes down to what OS coders are prepare to write their kernel to do. In the case of Vista 64bit Ultimate, Enterprise and Business editions, that's 128GB. In the case of Home Premium it's 16GB and so on...

Regards,

Rob.

:wacko: I have absolutely no idea what your talking about :thumbsup:

PS of the 10 types of people in the world I am the second type :faint:

Binary is friggin easy, it clicks and then its a doddle.
signed:
00000100Quattro

hehehe