Regal Autosport Vf Engineering RS/S S3

jonnyc

Reaction score
Hey

The car is now ready for me to collect from Regal tomorrow, had a good chat with Chris today about the work carried out and he's extremely pleased with the results and the installation!

The car is running perfectly, Regal have spent a long time adapting the kit for the 8P S3 and perfecting the map along with GIAC to have the car run safely and within the limits of the standard engine internals, power and torque figures were important but not the main aim of the project, overall drivability and reliability were paramount!

I will be posting up full logs and graphs later on today once I have them but to give you a quick idea of what affect the conversion has had on the car here are some before and after power/torque figure comparisons..

With all the mods on the car previous to the conversion the car made

358bhp
348ft/lbs

With the Regal Autosport Vf Engineering RS/S kit the car made

417bhp
385ft/lbs

Although the top end figures are impressive, Chris tells me that one of the most noticeable differences is in the mid range pull, so the car is going to feel like it has a lot more than the power increase suggests!

Picking up the car tomorrow, ill nick my brothers camera for the day and get a load of pics of the conversion too.. My god, I cant wait!!!

Full review of the car tomorrow, ill have a good long drive back from Southampton so should have a good idea how well it goes after that!

Update 1:

Here is the dyno graphs comparing the car when it drove into Regal and how it is performing now..

You may notice the noise in the lines past 5500rpm on the Big turbo plot, this is the car trying to jump out of the dyno!! cool ey!

You can run a filter on the results to get rid of any noise in the graph lines but Chris wanted to see a true result from the plot, notice just how smooth the lines are and the shape of the torque curve!!

Its making 340bhp & 380ft/lbs at 4500rpm!!!!

This is going to be amazing!

(Dashed line pre RS/S - Solid line after conversion)

RSS_S3_JC_compare_bigpower-1.jpg

Update 2:

So just got home from driving the car back 300 miles from Southampton, I have to say the car feels very very different after the conversion, even more so now its two cars in one!

Cruising back at normal motorway speeds I achieved 31.9MPG which is better than usual, I put it down to a couple of things, the mapping has been 100% tailored to my specific car so no wasted fuel and also with the car now having a bigger turbo, at cruising speeds in 6th the car is not creating any boost, therefore needs less fueling!

Anyways im sure you all want to hear about the performance, well.. Its pretty stunning to be honest!

Even smoother power delivery than the K04, and all the way to the 7k rev limit, the car has been mapped such that the turbo boost is progressively introduced from 2500rpm so when you accelerate you ride a super smooth wave of torque and power, it feels less aggressive than the K04 kit, but its firing the car down the road much quicker!

Bit cliche but its really one of those cars than anyone could jump into a drive and not even be aware that its running over 400bhp! Very much the feeling you get from a big engined car really!

So all in all its pretty amazing, im extremely pleased with the results and cant wait to come accross some 'fast' cars!:D

Oh.. And it sounds AMAZING!!

Pics and video to follow in the next few days!

Update 3:

So had a chance to drive the car in a few different conditions today, what keeps on impressing me is how smoothly the car comes onto boost and accelerates, really feels like a standard car, but not, if you knwo what I mean! :)

From the engine bay things look pretty much the same as before, I chose to retain my Evoms intake, it had to be cut down very slightly before the MAF housing to fit but it enabled me to keep the cold air feed that I had spent a lot of time sorting out!

IMG_5426.jpg

Heres a quick picture of the PCV mod that I have been talking about, this blocks off the inlet manifold and you run the hose from the PCV to atmosphere, in certain conditions you will prevent yourself loosing 1-2psi boost when the PCV opens with this mod..

IMG_5425.jpg

On a side note I have also fitted the facelight tail lights, at the same time I installed the silver rear indicator bulbs which really clean them up! Look so much better than the non-facelift lights, they are tinted slightly, think thats what does it!

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

Also the Lamin-X headlights, they need a while to settle in, looks like they have conensation behind them at the moment but that will burn off over time, really pleased with the look of them, pretty mean!

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

Next step for the car is to get the Low compression forged pistons and forged rods in, de-cat the exhaust, go with bigger FSI injectors and re tune the car to suit, should be able to achieve 450bhp and 400ft/lbs after them modifications and run the car a little bit more aggressively on the boost in the mid range..

IMG_5420.jpg

Big thanks to all the guys at Regal, top job once again!!

Jonny

Wow that sounds like a monster of note! Very interested to see this. Please post detailed updates and reviews :) Well done

What exactly is part of this kit to get it to those figures?

Also on a side note, being part of the development of the EVOMS S3 CAI, do you have any idea of when it will actually be ready?

Apologies for the ignorance, is this a big turbo conversion youve just had done?

WOW, that's just stunning!

The first 8P S3 i know with new turbo kit. Can't wait for your first impressions :icon_thumright:

P.S. Do you use stock injectors / fuel pump ?

Yes its the Big turbo kit, ill post a full spec list along with the graphs and logs tonight..

Basically the kit includes what you see in the picture..

GT2871R .86 AR TURBO
VF INTAKE PIPE WORK & BILLET RECIRCULATING DUMP VALVE
VF ENGINEERING CAST EXHAUST MANIFOLD
VF ENGINEERING EXHAUST ADPTER PLATE
VF ENGINEERING HIGH FLOW FSI INJECTORS
AUTOTECH HIGHFLOW FUEL RAIL PUMP
LOTS OF OTHER BOLTS, BRACKETS, OIL/FUEL LINES ETC ETC

Jonny

This car is a project so will be fitted with all of the latest development parts as soon as I can get my hands on them..

Next aim is 450hp..

Jonny

wow that sounds awesome jonny cant wait to see the pics and ur first impressions.....:yum:

Ha ha ha ha - Jonny - what are you doing on Saturday.... THIS I have to see!!!!
:hubbahubba:

You and S3IZZO are leading the way on the 8P - hat off to ya mate

Hummm, Impressive!
I'd like to know how it drives and MPG in different situations.
Have you uprated the haldex on ur S3? (not that you need to, just wondering).

Jonny I hate you....

Bagsy shotgun.. lol
NOW go find them RS4's.... Ha ha

Jesus, that will be fast, seriously fast, that must be easily sub 4 seconds to 60??? **** looking for RS4's you need to go 997TT hunting!!!

Amazing stuff Jonny. A piece of engineering art that. I reckon this engine and chassis will handle 400+ easily. 450 definitely possible. It will be an EvoX/STi beater that thing. Would it beat your old Civic in its current form ??

With the K04 the car would have been quicker than my Civic, because of the superior traction, the Civic would have had the edge over 100mph though..

Now with the RS/S kit, it would have no chance at all! Infact, most things would struggle..

That's pretty sweet!

So it's just a plug-n-play kit? Was anything done to lower the compression ratio?
Can you tell me more about your "custom" PCV as well?

Though, I have to say I like your old setup better, for city driving :(
Losing 50 lbft @ 3000rpm doesnt sound like a good idea when you are crawling along at rushhour speeds, which is what I have to go through almost daily.

Yowsers!

It looks like Johnny's upped the ante again,it looks like all will be watching his tail lights fade into the distance with those mods!

Nice one Johnny!!!!!!:respekt:

COMEONNNNN GET HOMEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate u got 417 hp u should b home by now !!!!!

Oh my god!!! Its just amazing, need to get out and drive some more!!

Update 2 added! :)

I can't wait to see it mate!
I'll give you a bell tomorrow :thumbsup:

sounds truely amazing jonny, cant wait to see it in action now....

That does sound good!
Just one thing, not wanting to put a downer on it. But when I had the turbo fitted to my R32 the injectors were replaced with 550cc ones. Now although the car DIS said I was doing 36mpg etc I only really got max 200miles out of a tank of fuel. At best I think I was getting 18mpg and about 5mpg at worst. Once you've driven it some more you may notice this. I presume the injectors were replaced.... One reason why I sold it! But if it really is doing that MPG I can see myself bypassing the Revo treatment!

The car is running the standard S3 injectors at the moment as running with this state of tune there is no need to run larger injectors, when and if you do run the larger injectors the dash is re programmed to account for the increased flow rate so that the DIS is still accurate:)

The MPG on the long run is just a real bonus to be honest, the car is just so effortlessly fast now, amazing!

Jonny

Hummm, thats interesting. Quite impressive really!

O dear this could get expensive!

So managed to get a quick vid, for those who want to see it just drop me a PM, im not going to post it up for obvious reasons..

Car is amazing!!

Got the facelift rear lights on yday too, doing the Lamin-X fronts today hopefully once the weather takes a break!

Jonny

and what a vid it is. Jonny has a rocket ship! :applaus:

that thing shifts and sounds very impressive...

For those that have seen the vid, discuss on here if you like:)

Hopefully have some more pics tomorrow, weather is so bad I havnt managed today!

have you done anything to the brakes?

Worn them out..;)

Na im planing on getting some 6pot Alcons on the car in the future, as a stop gap ill be using some RS29 Pagid pads and hopefully some up rated front discs..

Jonny

sounds awesome,goes like a rocket!

:scared2: hohoooollly @#!*? dude!! that was awesome .. but like all the awsome things "the end" came very fast lol.. get some longer vids for us please...

it sounds great to me... it seems to be pulling like hell!!

Nice job mate..