fitting fmic - any info please

mattm

BLACK EDITION
Reaction score
does anybody have or can give some info on fitting a fmic? i get the general idea but need some info/tips/pics of them being fitted/and fitted :)

heres a few pics of mine i did and i was able to get the fogs in unlike sum people that have done theres.

26052008098.jpg

26052008099.jpg

26052008097.jpg

hope this helps give you any ideas on what you need.

nice one mate

do the hoses go into the engine bay at all or just as far as i can see them on that pic?

:) cheers

Danclarke, do you know the dimensions of your intercooler? Also did you manage to get the crash bar back in?

Go to the bottom of the page here under the graph click here for the full fitting instructions to the forge one.

Fitting look very easy and straight forward, i think the hassle will be getting hold of the pipes to do it and having it to fit right. Whatever you do i think the crash bar does need trimming as, this will always be a problem with custom FMIC, i think that the case is if you can manage to fit your FMIC behind the bumper and crash bar without trimming then it'll be too small and not worth changing anyway.

I want one done soon so I've done a bit of research, if you have money to waste, buy Forge or similar, if not buy a universal one of ebay ( £100 max ) and get some pipes made up (£200 max) and be prepared to cut the crash bar but in all honesty a crash bar is only £40 so if it goes tits up buy another one!

what kind of fmic is that Jim? where did you get it?

Danclarke: Nice fit, where did you got yours?

ebay again i ended up getting 2 sets of intercooler pipe work off ebay but you prob wont need all that much as i ran back to the turbo and the throttle body

I would go for the route with the pipes at the bottom and ditch the fogs.That is the area with the best airflow to the intercooler and less bends.

It depends if you are prepared to have great big pipes showing or if you want the stealth look.

It depends how efficent you want the intercooler to be.
The air going through the intercooler will choose the path with least resistance,straight across inlet and outlet,and will then move further out as you up the boost.If you have the path at the top it will be alot hotter as there is virtually no air flow going through the core to cool the tubes but at least you will have foglights.

Ok, I understand the argument but I am going to try and have the best of both worlds. Pipes at the bottom but keep the fog lights.

be interested in how you get on, dont feel like spending more than couple hundred on 1 of these things myself....

Whats peoples views on keeping the SMIC's, i think it was Glen who said that he had kept one of these when he fitted his Forge kit

Glen's wasn't a forge kit it was a custom Star Performance one. I think the core was very thin 50mm or so compared to the thinnest ones I can find which are 65mm. As it was thin it didn't have a huge capacity and so one of the side mounts was kept to increase capacity.

just been looking and think i can make up a front mount for around 280 just like jim s3, im going to order everything tomorrow and hopefully do it next week

going for this one 600*300*76

I think that may a tight squeeze and will probably involve cutting a large bit out of the crash bar. Is that core size or the size of the whole intercooler? Also what size are the inlet and outlets?

thats the whole cooler, i did a serch on here and found this to be the size most people use when doing there custom made, im pretty sure the inlet and outlets are 76mm to forgot to put the link to where im getting it from opps here we go http://www.amber-performance.co.uk/info.php?i=278

umm that ths type 4 looks better might get that one actually im conferdent thats the size everyone uses and im also willing to chop the crash bar a little, lol well if i bite the bullet and order it then ill fit it next week as im doing my clutch and my car will be at work on the ramp all stripped out for the week as only allowed to work on it on saturday

Kev, where are you getting the pipe work from? those ones you found look good, i might go down that route, as i am defiantly not paying £800+ for a proper one!

to be honest there isnt much crach bar left plus got intercooler spray fitted to the crash bar. to spray the intercooler to cool things down even more.. i will try get pictures up later

oooh i dont wana be messing around cutting the C bar..... arent there many FMIC's available to fit without having to buy the FORGE or Star kits....im thinking maybe a smaller unit to wack between the two SMIC's

does anyone no the size of the standard boost hoses that go down to the side mount coolers as this is where im going to have to join the 76mm hoses from the new fmic

its not that bad cutting the crash bar its really easy if you have a grinder. i think the pipes are 2.5" but im not to sure and i cant be ***** to walk down the garden in the rain to measure sorry..:cold:

its not that bad cutting the crash bar its really easy if you have a grinder. i think the pipes are 2.5" but im not to sure and i cant be ***** to walk down the garden in the rain to measure sorry..:cold:
doh lol, looks like im in need of some reducer pipes then maybe ahhh

oooh i dont wana be messing around cutting the C bar..... arent there many FMIC's available to fit without having to buy the FORGE or Star kits....im thinking maybe a smaller unit to wack between the two SMIC's

You can pick up a genuine Evo 7,8,9 intercooler same as the FQ's for around £80 off MLR and a pipe kit off ebay for around £70.These are rated at over 400bhp on them.
Heres one i fitted to my GT4.
Core size 490mm x 290mm x 70mm
With endcaps 630mm at the widest point.
pipes.jpg

thanks guys..... have grinder etc, just dont want to cut the crash bar for safety reasons.... if i had an accident and that could have had an impact...id really kick myself (if i still had legs), however unlikely that may be:salute:

Cheers James, only problem i have with that is the flow of air being less fluid than that of the flat bottom connections.....however will measure up once i have the bumper off to check the feasability as may well be the best fit....:beerchug:

will i benefit by keeping my SMIC's

could anyone measure the space behind the crash bar, so we could find the largest cooler that would fit inside without major modifications..

heres the one i made a couple of months back fits in perfect and i got all the grills back in, the reason the forge one fits the fogs back is because they use 51mm inlets and piping. where as the majority of us folks use 63-71 piping mine was 63mm. core measured 490x230x65. plenty big enough
DSC00102.JPG

FMIC-finished.jpg

this core did fit without cutting the crash bar yet i felt there wasn't enough room for it, so i cut the back lip. I run mine with centre grill missing looks cool and draw attention but not too much!