de-badged advice

alzo999

Audi Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to be taking off the badges on the back of my 08 plate s-line 2.0tdi, any ideas/tips on the best way to take off the rear badges without causing paintwork damage etc. Thanks

Heat the badges up with a hair dryer to soften the glue, get a string of dental floss and use it to remove the badge from the glue/paint. Finish off with some Polish or Road grime remover to get rid of glue residue on the paintwork.

cant give much more advice than that - if you have a buff at hand, go over with that also

autoglym tar remover is good enough to help get the crap off

you can also use an old credit card!

no matter what anyone else says about this, white spirit cleaned it of mine like **** of a shovel, it might make the lacquer a tiny bit dull which is normal, so just rub it down with some nice polishing compound from halfords which you use for scratches or t-cut afterwards which brings lacquer back to the shine, use a tiny bit of spirit on a kitchen towel & it basically disolves the sticky residue left after removing the majority of the badges/sticky tape 1st, didnt affect the layer of lacquer or paintwork on my cars, as long as you dont coat it in spirit, my mates a paint guy & he says its the quickest way to get of as long as use small amount on the towel then wash it straight after with soapy water, done it number times never had problem

My experience is similar to the previous posts; if it's not a hot day (which it won't be in the UK this summer) use a hair-dryer, then dental floss behind the badges in a gentle see-saw motion to cut the adhesive. I wouldn't use fingernails in case you break the badge - you might want it again in the future, or even to sell on eBay!

Nigel is right about white spirit too - it removes the adhesive residue very easily but don't use too much. If the car is a few years old then you'll see a slightly dull finish in the paintwork where the badge once sat, so a touch of T-cut or other cutting component is needed and then polish it out.