Ipod Holder...

Ash B

Reaction score
Hi all :hi: Hope your all good and the cars.

Quick question just wondering if any one has done this before.
Where the ashtray is turned it into a ipod holder? and run the wires to the ashtray? Im a non smoker so it not much use to me. And would be quite good if my ipod could go on a holder by there. Im actually considering doing this myself next two weeks after i've sorted out my front bumper, grill and back bumper and lip and also my alloys which i get off a fellow member a week tomorrow. I dont think it be hard anyway.

Just wondering if any one done it? And could give me abit more info?

thanks
Ashley

sounds like the credit crunch is affecting you LOL

LOL!....Credit crunch hasnt done anything to me yet anyway!
So im ok at the moment :) I just thought if be a good idea
IF i decide to do it in the end will post(probably will)
See if ican find a photo see if any one else as done it(most likely have)

No worries just take your time with it and im sure all will be fine!

Yeah i will as i dont really want to mess any thing up inside the car. Wont be done though for 3-4weeks have other things to sort out on my car at the moment. Thanks again:thumbsup:

Sorry to resurrect this one again.

re: the above link... where is this guys cable leading to. from under the ashtray I guess it up and behind the dash into the back of the unit?

But how does it fix and where?

I ask as I currently run this (bodged) setup.

DSCN3032.jpg

the dock fits nicely with the help of two legs I made for the bottom of it, and doesn't move at all.

DSCN3034.jpg

It's one of those cassette to ipod jobbies. and although I'm content with the sound quality, I'm a stickler for clean and tidy cables etc..

I have a black cassette to ipod thingy on its way and black Ipod dock adapter too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5in1-Wireless...14&_trkparms=72:1300|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

i bought 1 of these and its a fantastic job, it charges the ipod while it is in use and the radio transmitter is also powerd by the cig lighter - no need for batteries! i can take a picutre of it in my car if you want to see how it sits - how much room it takes (basically none) worth a bit of thought anyhow b4 you start having to hide wires etc

Couple of options here

Aux in socket
It all depends how much you want to spend, one option is to intall the audi aux socket, instead of having in the centre console you could hide behind the dash. Im not sure which headunits are compatible with the aux in socket. I am not sure on the cost of this, you will need to do a search, I think a few on the forum have done this
edit heres the link for adding the Aux in socket
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57387&highlight=socket

Dension dock cable
another option is to get the dension lead, it plugs into the cdchanger port and also chargers the ipod. You can also use the track skip and the wheel on a multifunction steering wheel to change track.

Heres the dension kit, you need to choose the dock cable - £99.51
http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/i...Gateway_100_Car_Kit/Audi_ice>Link_Gateway_100

I recently added an iPod connection to my A3 using the Audi iPod interface kit. This ends with a iPod plug connection in the glovebox and control of the iPod is by using the radio controls (Symphony II+ in my case). It also charges the iPod and switches it off when it's not being used.

The kit cost around £85.00 from my dealer. I also got the dealer to fit it for me, which cost a further £60.00. Seems to work a treat.

When I spoke to www.ipodcarkidirect.co.uk about the Dension Gateway 100 (for fitting to my wife's new Polo) they said their no longer stock Dension kit.
I got mine from www.raysmith.co.uk who are based in Edinburgh. They service was excellent with the Gateway 100 direct from their suppliers within 24 hours and the cradle from themselves one day later.

The two units work in totally different ways and personally I much prefer the Audi interface using my Symphony II+. You can set up 5 playlists on the iPod and each one becomes a CD (7-11) on the radio, with CD12 being play everything.

I recently added an iPod connection to my A3 using the Audi iPod interface kit. This ends with a iPod plug connection in the glovebox and control of the iPod is by using the radio controls (Symphony II+ in my case). It also charges the iPod and switches it off when it's not being used.

The kit cost around £85.00 from my dealer. I also got the dealer to fit it for me, which cost a further £60.00. Seems to work a treat.

Origianally i bought the audi adapter but sold it on and bought the dension kit and cradle.
The audi kit takes over control of the ipod, it stops you using the scroll wheel and maps the first 5or6 playlists to discs 1-5. I used to hate this as you could never select a song. you can still skip to the next track but thats about it.

Whereas the dension kit has two modes - 1. similar to above 2. you get total control of the ipod as you would normally and still skip next track with the multifunction etc

Origianally i bought the audi adapter but sold it on and bought the dension kit and cradle.
The audi kit takes over control of the ipod, it stops you using the scroll wheel and maps the first 5or6 playlists to discs 1-5. I used to hate this as you could never select a song. you can still skip to the next track but thats about it.

Whereas the dension kit has two modes - 1. similar to above 2. you get total control of the ipod as you would normally and still skip next track with the multifunction etc

Yes that's right. But as I always want to play a complete playlist rather that select individual tracks it works well for me.

So far with the Dension 100, my wife cannot seem to get it to play individual playlists that are set up on her iPod (2nd gen Nano). Any ideas on how to do this? The Dension active cradle is excellent. She uses her iPod in the house and in the car and it's so easy to move it between the two, whereas my iPod stays in the car all the time, only coming out when I want to copy some more music onto it.

If you have the Dension set up to allow the iPod to control itself rather than the radio controlling the iPod, then you should be able to play any playlist you like Dave just by selecting it on the iPod. Have you tried a firmware update (think the latest firmware is dated April 2008)?

This is how I have it set up in my car as I prefer having full control from the iPod and agree with Matt over the limitations of the radio control.

I bought the wife a Dice iPod kit for Christmas for her Beetle - very similar to the Dension kit in that it attaches via the CD Changer interface and has an aux input jack, but there are dip switches that control if the radio controls the iPod or the iPod itself takes the control.

Very impressed with it I have to say - nice and easy to install and was cheaper than my Dension 100.

Hi all :hi: Hope your all good and the cars.

Quick question just wondering if any one has done this before.
Where the ashtray is turned it into a ipod holder? and run the wires to the ashtray? Im a non smoker so it not much use to me. And would be quite good if my ipod could go on a holder by there.

Just wondering if any one done it? And could give me abit more info?

thanks
Ashley

Yeah, I've already done this on a previous car. This link may prove useful.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=52430

I've actually removed it in 1 piece so if you want to save yourself the DIY, you can have mine for a few quid (no use to me anymore)
It'll only fit the ipod nano (1st generation)
PM me if you're interested

Yes that's right. But as I always want to play a complete playlist rather that select individual tracks it works well for me.

So far with the Dension 100, my wife cannot seem to get it to play individual playlists that are set up on her iPod (2nd gen Nano). Any ideas on how to do this? The Dension active cradle is excellent. She uses her iPod in the house and in the car and it's so easy to move it between the two, whereas my iPod stays in the car all the time, only coming out when I want to copy some more music onto it.

You must have it in the wrong operarting mode Dave, cant remember the exact process to change the mode, ill have a look for the instructions. You should be able to select the playlist and it should keep playing through it

If you have the Dension set up to allow the iPod to control itself rather than the radio controlling the iPod, then you should be able to play any playlist you like Dave just by selecting it on the iPod. Have you tried a firmware update (think the latest firmware is dated April 2008)?

This is how I have it set up in my car as I prefer having full control from the iPod and agree with Matt over the limitations of the radio control.

I bought the wife a Dice iPod kit for Christmas for her Beetle - very similar to the Dension kit in that it attaches via the CD Changer interface and has an aux input jack, but there are dip switches that control if the radio controls the iPod or the iPod itself takes the control.

Very impressed with it I have to say - nice and easy to install and was cheaper than my Dension 100.

As far as I'm concerned there is no way I would want Jenny using the iPod itself whilst she was driving. To me that would be as bad a using a mobile phone to send text messages and would constitute dangerous driving in the same way as the young lady who was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving in an earlier thread.

Far enough to set up the iPod, put it in the cradle and never touch it whislt on the move but any more than than and I would soon be removing the cradle. At least with the Audi (and I assume the VW interface) you ony have to click one of the large radio buttons to change playlists or skip a track.

What would ideal at the moment would be to be able to connect the mini-DIN plug on the Dension cradle to a VW interface kit.

As far as I'm concerned there is no way I would want Jenny using the iPod itself whilst she was driving. To me that would be as bad a using a mobile phone to send text messages and would constitute dangerous driving in the same way as the young lady who was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving in an earlier thread.

Far enough to set up the iPod, put it in the cradle and never touch it whislt on the move but any more than than and I would soon be removing the cradle. At least with the Audi (and I assume the VW interface) you ony have to click one of the large radio buttons to change playlists or skip a track.

What would ideal at the moment would be to be able to connect the mini-DIN plug on the Dension cradle to a VW interface kit.

Agreed - I set the playlist I want and away I go. I can still skip tracks using the skip track button on the RNS-E and don't have a need to touch the iPod.

However, my main reason for using the iPod mode rather than Dension mode is I like to be able to see what I'm listening to and as the Audi radios are pretty useless at displaying track infomation, the iPod is the only thing that displays it.

How do you change for full control? Once mine is plugged in to the denison you cant use any of the buttons on the Ipod itself. Is there a way fo changing it so you can. Its annoying having to unplug the ipod to change the playlist.

Thanks

I think you need to select CD 6 on your head unit in the car and then choose track 2 which should enable the iPod user interface.

Page 2 on the link below details the sources available from CD 6.

link

I have the bose symphony 2 unit quick question if i use the genuine audi i-pod adapter does that enable the in dash 6 disc player redundant? or is it some how switchable,because there is no aux button??

I have the bose symphony 2 unit quick question if i use the genuine audi i-pod adapter does that enable the in dash 6 disc player redundant? or is it some how switchable,because there is no aux button??

I have a Symphony II+ unit in my A3. I also have an Audi iPod fitted in the glovebox. To use the Symphony to play any of the 6 internal CDs I choice CD and select 1-6. To play something from the iPod, I have 5 playlists set-up and I have to press the CD button twice and select CD 7-11. Selecting 12 plays everything on the iPod.

I have a Symphony II+ unit in my A3. I also have an Audi iPod fitted in the glovebox. To use the Symphony to play any of the 6 internal CDs I choice CD and select 1-6. To play something from the iPod, I have 5 playlists set-up and I have to press the CD button twice and select CD 7-11. Selecting 12 plays everything on the iPod.

sorry this is phil76 again just at home but how do you select cds 7-11 or 12,not in the car at min but doesnt it only go upto 6 on the display?:confused:

sorry this is phil76 again just at home but how do you select cds 7-11 or 12,not in the car at min but doesnt it only go upto 6 on the display?:confused:

Double click the CD button. It only works if there is something like an external CD player or a iPod interface connected.

When I do that the display changes from 1-6 to 7-12.

If you have the manual for the Symphony, look on page 20 'Selecting a CD in the external CD changer'. If you have the iPod interface it works like an external CD changer with each of 5 playlists being equivalent to external CDs 7-11.

hi all... saw this on the stickies and thought it might help me... but im a complete 8p newb and dont know anything! so... i just bought a car with one of these:
d7877dbd.jpg
symthony II ? and one of these:
f94acaf1.jpg
Now how do i go about connecting a iphone to it, ideally for telephone calls and music, as it doesnt have any phone connections installed but it has got a mic and external ariel (aftermarket i presume). Needs to be descreet as possible, Dension kit perhaps? or would the RNSE unit allow me to do it all.

Another minor detail is that it has Bose

I dont understand why it has a multi function steering wheel but just says 'no function' when you press the mode or phone button

Thanks, James

Last edited: