Another B5 down

Broken Byzan

Photographic Moderator
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was travelling home from my mothers and the GF started havig bad pain again in her stomach after having been discharged from hosp only the day before,So i was rushing to get her to the closest hosp, i just pulled offof the motorway and the car didnt feel right, kind of lacked power, she made a squeel noise and suddenly there was no boost. I thought ok i will continue as we were only a mile fromthe hosp, but in that mile the car was smoking badly and also missing slightly. We limped into the hosp car park , i parked and fortunatly had my dog and son with me, so my son had to stay to keep an eye on the dog till i knew what was gonna happen to the GF.When i cam back out i found the car smouldering and my son with a burnt hand after extinguishing an under bonnet fire with 2 litres of Cherry Coke. Had i not had the dog with me my son most probably would have came in and lord knows what would have happened.

So i have so far this year lost my house, job and car, and also the GF is in hosp in agony, What a ****** year !!

Night time carnage pics
DSC00583.jpg

DSC00584.jpg

I think unless its simple( yeah right) i am gonna break her, it will break my heart, but i cannot see a way around it.
I will follow up with more pics in daylight, as i have just go bak from the hosp and ned some shut eye

Lord no!

Do you think the 12V feed to the coil packs got trapped / shorted out somewhere?

Or an oil leak / spillage was ignited by the manifold?

Either way, I wouldn't break her, she must be fixable.
Hope your girlfriend's ok.

Its a cost thing tbh
I think it was an oil spillage/spray from the dead/dying turbo
I will look in the morn, i at least need an engine loom and some pipe work, and probably a throttle cable, just from what i can see, oh and a turbo too i think. you shoulda seen the smoke, it was still in the air 45 mins after when the car was being recovered

Ah yes. Oil on hot manifolds is a lethal combination.

There's a fair few 1,8T's breaking on here, I'm sure ASN'rs would all do their best to donate to the cause.

I was more concerned with getting the GF to the Hosp, to worry about the car!

Indeed hindsight would have had me park up and maybe call an ambulance, the underbonnet soundproofing is toast too,lol

signal died on the phone mark.. you are quite welcome to my old engine. take the lot or what ya want. Free to you of corse mate.

Hope stacie gets better dude.

****! I hope your missus is alright. Is she out the hospital?

As for the car, i'd imagine fixing it is going to cost less than buying a new car etc?

looks like a lot of oil round the engine/turbo area... But maybe thats just burnt cherry coke?

Whats the oil feed line to the turbo like? Perhaps thats split causing the oil to get onto the manifold and killing the turbo at the same time? I cant see how the oil could have got out of the turbo even if it completely disintegrated internally, it might all end up down the exhaust, but i cant see how it would have got onto the exterior of the turbo?

Coil 2 looks funny, i cant tell if its melted/gone on fire and thats whats killed the throttle cable, or if the throttle cable melted first and has just dripped onto the coil making it look ********.

You did the right thing getting your gf to the hospital.
As for your car thats bad but at least your capable of fixing it.
Hopefully the New Year will get better for you.

OMG very sorry to hear that, well you should be very please with the car as it got you to the hospital which is what needed to happen so her job was done.
I think you will have to repair her just becasue she did that for you and did not leave you a mile down the road.
Hope the GF is on the mend.

Thanks guys, I am going to see the GF shortly so will report later, however the car on the other hand.....
The turbo is mullered and was literally pumping all my oil out of the exhaust as far as i can see, i also set fire to the water feed heat shroud and god knows where the oil came from on the outside of the turbo but there is plenty there.

The coils seem ok, but the loom is toast, especially the temp sender connection and the coil connections, so i at least need a turbo and an engine loom.
I also found out the oil pressure problem was due to the turbo having dumped most of the oil,the pressure light only came on as i was parking, so hopefully no real damage there as today when i started her she sounded quiet and smooth and the pressure was back to normal after 4 litres of oil(GULP) I still cannot believe she consumed that much in the short time she was smoking, it was however like a proper 007 style smoke cloud.

I have some pics i will stick up later

you sure its actually oil outside the turbo and not just caramelised cola?

Sounds like the turbo bearing/shaft has disintegrated, perhaps the hot oil that was leaking into the exhaust housing was burning off in there, creating enough heat to set the heat shield on fire and thats whats burnt the loom?

Hope the missus is ok and you get the car sorted out!

Mark what can i say hope she is feeling better. quick thinking of your son mate! this has really been a bad year for if there is anything you need dont hesitate, ill contact you soon

LETS ALL HELP MARK IN ANYWAY WE CAN if he wants it of course

^^^I'm with Ras on that.

First thing is, Mark needs to make up a list of what's needed.

Then a general list of what can be rebuilt / repaired, then things can move on from that point.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Mark, I hope the missus is ok, we all know you will soon have that A4 back to good order again. :salute:

If I can help shout up mate, were in the uk are you? (your sig gives nothing away)
not got to many parts laid around but if your local i'll try and give you a hand

Sorry i removed my location and mods after Docs car went missing, i didnt fancy anyone shopping as it were, Not that they would get far,lol

As far as i can see i need
1-Engine wiring loom for a 1998 AEB turbo engine ( i have the later type ECU not the early 96-97 rect smaller alloy one)
2-Throttle cable, its obviously taken a kicking and now sticks
3-Various vacuum hoses( i probably have these)
4- maybe DV Not sure how the heat affected it, it looks pretty charred
5-Turbo and oil feed pipe as that has taken some heat !!!
6- And 2 litres of cherry coke ( i miss my coke,lol)
7-Germolene for my sons slightly burnt hand ( brave lad)

Its not an exhaustive list, but on first dismantling( half hour earlier) its what it looks like
DSC00601.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

So what failed Mark?

Did the oil feed to the turbo rupture?

A dead turbo would dump oil into the exhaust, or intake. Not sure how the oil came to be on the outside.

I have some stock inlet hoses and DV's if needed.

Get Alpines two turbos and we can build one good one from the two as i have seen the potential in them.

I think Doc may have an engine loom from a late car left still??

Oil feed would prob be best to buy new unless you can find a S.H one.

sorry to hear that mark, hope mrs is ok, hope you fix it though, to much work has gone in to that car to break it

So what failed Mark?

Did the oil feed to the turbo rupture?

A dead turbo would dump oil into the exhaust, or intake. Not sure how the oil came to be on the outside.

Its hard to tell, it deffo dumping oil into exhaust, well pretty much all of it,lol.
It has pierced the silicone TIP with the chip thats missing from the turbo, i can only assume it sprayed from there as there are traces of oil in the throttle body, more than should be. I would need to remove the FMIC to check and clean.
The DV is actually ok, i have just cleaned and checked that, so thats good news.

I think once it heated and caught fire it also ruptered the oil feed as its only a hose with braiding at the end of the day on the turbo end iirc

As for the cause, i am not sure, i am hoping to send it to Scroll products for analysis/verdict and go from there

I have some standard hoses vacuum hoses at the back of my shed (buried deep) if you let me know any your in need of I will have a tunnel in. may still have standard plastic dv too.

We are getting there mark your B5 might be down but defo NOT out matey,

I am regularly in contact with Mark TBH this is not the half of what he has been through this year lets all try and help out (no pressure) one way or another.

I am sure we will somehow get Mark through this one way or another, as i am sure ppl on here who have been in contact with Mark in the past would agree he would almost do anything to help with a drop of a hat.

AND for the help you have given me in the past and as a token of my thanks to you I am glad you have accepted my gift to you.

Hey guys im writing from my hospital bed(thank god for wireless) Thank you all so much for your kind words and the help and support you are all offering. As many of you know we have had a bad year and this is the cherry on the icing on the cream of the ****** cake.

Im doing ok eating jelly beans and drinking sprite and being given loads of antibiotics so hope ill be on the mend in no time. Not sure I can say the same for the car!!!

And to top it off mark was driving home from the hosp tonight and got pulled in my car for illegal number plates for **** sake LEAVE US ALONE!!!

Anywho thanks again guys and girls we apreciate it so much

Luv Stacie
:salute:

Im doing ok eating jelly beans and drinking sprite and being given loads of antibiotics so hope ill be on the mend in no time. Not sure I can say the same for the car!!!

Luv Stacie
:salute:

My god Stacie is that what the NHS sorts ppl out with now days Sprite and Jelly Beans must be a medical breakthrough lol

Hope you get better soon and no doubt i'll see you sometime soon:icon_thumright:

Sorry to hear all the trouble you have had this year mate. If I remember right I live pretty close to you. If there is anything I can do to help pm me. Even if its makin the tea while you do the work LOL

I'm very sorry to hear of all your troubles. Stacie, hope you will get well soon, and Mark, hope you get your car sorted out.

My god Stacie is that what the NHS sorts ppl out with now days Sprite and Jelly Beans must be a medical breakthrough lol

Hope you get better soon and no doubt i'll see you sometime soon:icon_thumright:

It is the answer and cure to all ills, super NHS:superman:lol

Im sure our paths will cross soon enough ****** fooking car :Flush:

Remember the days when my wife was stuck in hospital with gall bladder pains (was told it was pregnancy pains for the latter part of 4months) anyway pains continued after birth of my son and she was finally diagnosed with gall bladder stones and they removed it there and then due to her having stitches from c section. Hope yours isnt as serious stacie. Also is the hospital your in like a shopping mall? cost me a ****** fortune in parking and tv/telephone tokens. My local hospital is like walking in a shop and not a hospital anymore, anyway, hope your ok hun and get well soon.

Stacie and Mark, sorry you've had a bad year.

Just wishing you guys in advance, a very Happy New Year, may all your wishes be granted, and all your dreams come true.

@ Andy: I was talking to David today - he does indeed have a late wiring harness, but it's no good on anything other than a facelift car.

Engine bay wiring is different, and the connectors that link to the ECU and main dash harness are totally different in pin size / configuration and the color codes are different too.

I had the same issue when I originally planned to install my 2000 MY S4 motor and engine harness.

Looks like something has been sucked into the turbo. Can't imagine the compressor blade could get that badly damaged just by the oil feed failing.

When one of my K04's shat itself a while back it also gave off monster plumes of smoke, but the blades weren't shagged like that. Good luck with getting it back together.

Remember the days when my wife was stuck in hospital with gall bladder pains (was told it was pregnancy pains for the latter part of 4months) anyway pains continued after birth of my son and she was finally diagnosed with gall bladder stones and they removed it there and then due to her having stitches from c section. Hope yours isnt as serious stacie. Also is the hospital your in like a shopping mall? cost me a ****** fortune in parking and tv/telephone tokens. My local hospital is like walking in a shop and not a hospital anymore, anyway, hope your ok hun and get well soon.

Thanks for the well wishes. It wont be gall stones as i had my all bladder and spleen removed last year!!! to be honest there aint much left inside me that it can be lol.

As for the prices your right thats why i have the lappy and internet so i dont have to pay £3.50 a day just to watch tv!! I went to the chip shop last night cus the food was so rubbish it was great.

Thanks again I hope i get better soon too I hate hospitals :sos:

Luv Stacie

Mark, sorry to hear about this fella, just seems to be one thing after another for you this year. As others have already said, hope you can get it all sorted. The only way id up! Oh, and you weren't the only one who got pulled by the Fuzz for your plates either - they got me on Friday night!

Stacie, chin up, you'll soon be on the mend!

Thanks again guys. The ****** plates aint even that bad, its just she has a Betty Boo logo on them and the 3d effect proper size and spaced fonts. Probably didnt like my attitude :shutup2:

She is home with me now, still a tad weak, packets of drugs but home . It looks like between everyone we have the bits sorted, loom is sorted, or at least the section i need is and also the throttle cable,supplied by the Doc, the turbo is gonna be a k03 supplied by Alpine, and rebuilt by AndyB.
Postage supplied by Ras A4 ( many thanks mate)

So in summary thanks to the kind members on here she will go again, i cannot thank everyone enough for the help and support, we never realised how many people cared etc.

Are we satisfied that the tuning will work i have, or should i look at using my bogo standard ECU to avoid complications?

I am 90% that the engine is ok, as i filled the oil back up and started her the other day althogh she smoked like a pig, there were no rattles and the pressure was good. Smoke was even coming out of the intake as well as pilling out of the exhaust

Just found the thread after being away for a few days...

Firstly, Mark and Stacie, hope your bad luck run doesn't continue, and that the two ladies in Marks life both get well soon.

Secondly, I'd like to say what an amazing forum this is. I don't think I've ever found a forum with this degree of cameraderie. I've been watching from the periphery and haven't met anyone yet, but i'm really proud to be a member, and love the lack of ego this place has.

Maybe it's an excess of caffiene affecting my brain, but you guys are awesome. Keep it up.

Oh no!!. not been on the internet this weekend but just read this thread.

Really sorry to see your run of bad luck Mark and as many others have said on here you are always the first to offer a hand when anybody is in need.. always seems that **** things happen to the nicest people. If there is anything I can do then please let me know.

I hope Stacie gets well soon too.

Seems like you have all the parts you need covered but I have a standard DV valve, a Bailey atmospheric that'll fit and a used K03 too. Also got various hoses if you need any. Let me know if you need anything mate.