how to polish your fog lights....

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Dear all,

Thank you all for providing many usefull guides and explanations for all things auid. I must have saved a bomb.

As a thank you and an early xmas present, i thought i would share my experiences of fog light polishing... i think you'll agree it makes quite a difference to the appearance.

PC070048.jpg

As you can see, the fogs were looking a little tired after over 100K of stone chips.

PC070046.jpg

so a little restoration was required.

Obviously to begin with remove the fogs, exceptionally easy, and i didnt even draw any blood doing it.

Next i needed to sand the glass aggressively to remove the majority of the dents and chips, i used a dremmel with an fairly abraisive sandpaper. Try to use uniform pressure or youll end up with slight marks which are really hard to remove...

PC070049.jpg

then you end up with something like this...

PC070050.jpg

Next i used two grades of wet and dry sandpaper (with water obviously) The first was 250 the second 1200, obviously any variation of these grades would be fine, the idea is you start rought and progress to smooth... :eyebrows:

PC070051.jpg

Next i used a rubbing compound (which got from halfords) i used a felt bobbin which came from the polishing pack (see later). The guide in the polishing pack recommends using a drill speed of about 1000rpm as a balance between getting the job done quickly and not covering yourself with crap from the drill.
I used a pillar drill because im lazy and its hard work...

PC070052.jpg

This is what it looked like at this stage...

PC070053.jpg

Next i used the powder provided in the polishing pack. I got the pack from Screwfix (just search for glass polishing kit). It is basically a light powder you mix with water.

PC070054.jpg

Then just keep going....

It took about an hour per light to do - it was very cold and i could feel my fingers.. !

The result is worth it and its cheap (about £20 for the polishing pack). I couldnt get all the chips out - only about 95%, still not bad.

Hope its of use to someone.

Cheers

PC070043.jpg

PC070055.jpg

very very good work, cheers for the guide..... dunno if i can be ***** just yet but deffo worth a go

Looks good. How much are fog lights new? lol

Havent really noticed how my own ones are but they are covered in salt just now and Ive only done 25k miles...

I paid a fiver for a new unit when my old one got smashed by a stone, on the bay

Good work, dont really put my fogs on, unless its REALLY foggy, and not had much of that recently, lol, to be honest, dont even know what condition mine are in.

Good work all the same, well done :)

yeah I thought so too!

I got a call from Oxford CID a little while ago about a bluetooth module I had bought off eBay, turns out it was from a stolen car! oooops!

This is also a good headlight polishing how-to, different car but same procedure.
http://www.bmw-sport.net/showthread.php?t=259

the end result is amazing

a new fog light from VAG was about £70 i think, i managed to find a used one for £20, which at the time i thought was a bargain, not so now that ive heard you got a new one for a fiver.

Anyway the used one was scratched as well hence why i polished them.