Altering time for ch/lh lights

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Had a trip to see Robin A3 who has very kindly set up (via vag com) my puddle lights and footwell lights to work. Although they are not actually fitted yet I can go into the DIS and there is a function to alter the brightness of the footwell lights.

At the same time Robin also enabled the coming home/ leaving home lights and they work with out using the additional earth wire. (Have been reading up on all this from the forum).

Can either Robin or one of you guys help me with altering the time these lights stay on. From reading other posts it should be able to be done through the DIS on my car? Or does vag com need to enable this function before it works through the DIS.

Thanks again Robin, it was great meeting you and I look forward to receiving the wiring looms.

I have a 2008 1.9TDI S-Line Cabriolet

They can be altered via the DIS (know mine can) from memory its some thing like set and then down arrow to show the additional ones and then its in there. Time can be changed in increments of 10 secs.

Richard

No I've been although my DIS again (unless I've missed something obvious) but the only thing which is different now is that I can alter the brightness of the puddle lights. Thats what made me think whether vag com needed to activate something on the DIS menu. From memory Robin checked a box via vag com which enabled ch/lh lights. I'm by no way brilliant on these matters though. Thanks

If you had the auto-lights option then you'd have the setting in the DIS. With it enabled with VCDS you won't have it. You'll need to change the time with VCDS.

Ah I wonder if the extended DIS setting have not been added or not taken. I dont have the auto lights and have the CH / LH lights enabled and I can later them via the DIS.
Deffo need the extended DIS enabled to be able to alter the CH /LH lights periods.
Are the CH / LH working ? as some option do not appear if they dont work - know this through experience.

Richard

Neil if you can't do it through the DIS you know where i live so pop over and we'll tinker with it via vagcom.

Ah I wonder if the extended DIS setting have not been added or not taken. I dont have the auto lights and have the CH / LH lights enabled and I can later them via the DIS.
Deffo need the extended DIS enabled to be able to alter the CH /LH lights periods.
Are the CH / LH working ? as some option do not appear if they dont work - know this through experience.

Richard

Is yours a facelift?

No its a 08 model - but with Vagcom you can enable the extended DIS which I have done & can adjust the CH /LH lights via the DIS, as well as the brightness of the footwell lights.

Richard

I have enabled extended options too and can set the footwell lights, DRLs, wipers etc but CH/LH isn't an option for me

Just checked my DIS, under the extended options, lights, External lights I have daytime lights, coming home lights and leaving home lights as options.
To set the time its under Coming home, leaving home takes the same value and is simply on or off.
The earth cable on my LH/CH is permantly connected to earth - maybe it needs this to get the DIS to recognise the option ?

Richard

Just checked my DIS, under the extended options, lights, External lights I have daytime lights, coming home lights and leaving home lights as options.
To set the time its under Coming home, leaving home takes the same value and is simply on or off.
The earth cable on my LH/CH is permantly connected to earth - maybe it needs this to get the DIS to recognise the option ?

Richard

I was thinking, I dont have CH enabled so maybe it's something to do with that. I didn't do the wire thing by the way. Just did the coding and it worked.

Wonder if it would work if you got the CH enabled ?

Richard

Richard

Yeah it could be. The two bits you enable are written differently aren't they? As if they're not actually just the same option for the 2 things. If you get what I mean?

I'll try it out tomorrow so at least we know.

I have an 08 pre-facelift S3 that didnt come with the light and rain sensors package. Enabled the CH/LH function with VAG-COM as well as the extended options on the DIS without using the repair wire and it works perfectly. Can change the CH/LH timing on the DIS now too. So should work for you unless theres some other unknown difference between South African and UK spec

I have an 08 pre-facelift S3 that didnt come with the light and rain sensors package. Enabled the CH/LH function with VAG-COM as well as the extended options on the DIS without using the repair wire and it works perfectly. Can change the CH/LH timing on the DIS now too. So should work for you unless theres some other unknown difference between South African and UK spec

If your 07 that does a needle sweep on startup, you got the 08 cluster which should support these options, as the 08 cluster was fitted after the July 07 builds. There is no difference between the UK and SA ones.

Richard

Right I have just added CH and I now have the option on my DIS! :icon_thumright:

Although it doesn't help me much as it doesn' let you change the time for LH and I don't want CH lol, but it's nice to know for the future.

Hi Guys, alot of info on here about this.:respekt:

Before I venture over to see Robin again, Leon - am I correct in understanding that now I have ch/lh lights enabled that there is a function relating to DIS which needs modifying within vag com which will then alow me to alter the times using the DIS afterwards. As I said before, I am now able to alter the brightness of the footwell lights via the DIS.

I'm getting confused with the difference between ch and lh. lh is when you unlock the car - the lights come on and when you open the door the lights go off. ch is when you lock the car and the lights stay on for 30 secs.

Many thanks for all your help:beerchug:

(Scorpious refers to extended options in the DIS - is this what needs to be changed in vag com.)

I'm a real novice on this so sorry to be a pain

Right I have just added CH and I now have the option on my DIS! :icon_thumright:

Although it doesn't help me much as it doesn' let you change the time for LH and I don't want CH lol, but it's nice to know for the future.

Whatever time period you set for the CH - it uses this value for the LH. Vagcom might be able to set different times - I'm not 100% sure on this though.
Suppose its Audi's logic you can only set options thats are actually enabled on the car ! I noticed this when I noticed extra features appeared when I added the footwell lights for example.

You could set the time for the CH and then disable this function either by Vagcom or by the DIS.

Richard

PNS2007 - the ability to change the time of the CH/LH lights via the DIS is dependant on the year of your car, mines is a 08 so I can do it, Mitch78's for example is a 07 car and cant do it - yet both cars are pretty much identical !

my take on the LH/CH lights is to ignore the home bit as to me it makes more sense - but I might have it the wrong way around !
LH - leaving home lights - ie lock car, lights go on for a time and then turn off
CH - coming home lights - ie unlock car (to get in) and lights turn on for a bit and go off when open a door.

Why Audi called them this I have no idea and why it cant be grouped under one name such as convience lights !

Richard

Whatever time period you set for the CH - it uses this value for the LH. Vagcom might be able to set different times - I'm not 100% sure on this though.
Suppose its Audi's logic you can only set options thats are actually enabled on the car ! I noticed this when I noticed extra features appeared when I added the footwell lights for example.

You could set the time for the CH and then disable this function either by Vagcom or by the DIS.

Richard

No it uses different values mate. I set the CH at 5 seconds and they stayed on for 5 seconds of course but the LH stayed on for the full 30 seconds i.e. until until the car relocks itself.

I haven't adjusted the times with VCDS by the way (which you do in adaptations), it's still at the default setting since I enabled them both in the first place.

I'm suprised this hasn't worked for PNS2007 though as he has a newer car with DIS.

Ah that interesting, when I did the LH/CH install I did not specify a time via vagcom, maybe I should have done ?
I just reduced the time period via the DIS (from wahtever default it was) and for me setting the time for CH (via the DIS) also sets the same time for LH.

Richard

Ah that interesting, when I did the LH/CH install I did not specify a time via vagcom, maybe I should have done ?
I just reduced the time period via the DIS (from wahtever default it was) and for me setting the time for CH (via the DIS) also sets the same time for LH.

Richard

That is strange yeah, as I say I didn't change the time with VCDS though. You might as well give it a go though!

I'll have to go home and check exactly which bits I've set to enable on the DIS but I remember checking the earlier thread started by MarcQ for advice on which bits to set and it worked. I havent changed the CH/LH timing from the default 30secs as it works well from me but from the options on the DIS I can change them independently. I know I had this in my MkV GTI and they worked exactly the same and I had different times for both.

My undestanding of CH/LH is thus:
CH - coming home - you arrive at whatever destination and when you open the door the lights will come on to light the path in front of you. You can switch off the engine, take the key out, unlock but the lights only come on once you open the door. It stays on for the default 30secs from the time you close and lock (I'm not sure if its from the time you close the doors or from the time you lock the car as I lock immediately after closing the doors)

LH - leaving home - this will bring on the lights to light the way when you're getting to the car to leave. As you soon as you unlock with your keyfob the lights come on for the time set.

Afternoon all,

I have received my A3 S-Line 170 today and i can't stop smiling!!

I am slightly disappointed that i don't have the CH/LH enabled from the factory. Is this something that can be enabled by the dealer or someone with a VAG-COM setup rather than spend the cash on the cable and software myself?

Thanks.

It can be enabled with VCDS yes. It's not enabled from the factory as without auto lights you have no light sensor or switch to turn them on and off.

Where abouts are you?

I'm in the west midlands, not a million miles away from J3 of the M5.

Too far for me mate. Maybe someone else lives closer.

No worries, it got to back to the garage anyway, I found quite a few scratches on it when I washed it today!

Sorry to be dim, but how do you turn on the 'Extended Options' in the DIS? I can not find it in VCDS - I'm not what you would call a VCDS expert! :unsure:

Am I correct in thinking that a July 2008 pre-facelift (just) car should be able to have this enabled?

All that I have in my DIS under SET is:
Clock
Computer
Speed warning
Language
Units
Indications
Parking Aid

Thanks

Sorry to be dim, but how do you turn on the 'Extended Options' in the DIS? I can not find it in VCDS - I'm not what you would call a VCDS expert! :unsure:

Am I correct in thinking that a July 2008 pre-facelift (just) car should be able to have this enabled?

I'm pretty sure it's in Central Conv (if not then Cent Elect). Go into coding then long coding helper. It's one of the bytes near the end and you'll see the label. Easy peasy.

It'll be the cluster that needs swapping. I've got one of the early cars without the needle sweep on startup.

Not quite. We (07 cars) have a revision F Central Electronics unit. 08 cars had a revision K unit fitted which gives you the extra DIS options. Now if these units are a direct swap I can't tell you. I know Nige (NHN) was looking into swapping some of the controllers in his car, not sure if this was one of them though. I'm sure he'll be along in a while to let us know.

I've just checked mine and I have Advanced Comfort Menu Active (Byte 23). But the DIS still doesn't give me the option to alter the ch/lh lights.

As I have a 58 plate A3 should it be in the DIS menu as others have stated above. Am I missing something here!!:uhm:

If its something I've got to live with does anyone know how I change the time for them via vag com.

Cheers Guys

Neil

I've just checked mine and I have Advanced Comfort Menu Active (Byte 23). But the DIS still doesn't give me the option to alter the ch/lh lights.

As I have a 58 plate A3 should it be in the DIS menu as others have stated above. Am I missing something here!!:uhm:

If its something I've got to live with does anyone know how I change the time for them via vag com.

Cheers Guys

Neil

I honestly don't know mate. As long as you have BOTH CH and LH options ticked (which was my problem of course) and the advance menu ticked then I don't know why you wouldn't have this enabled.

Thanks Staz100

Just to make sure I've activated by ch and lh can you tell me exactly how you did it. Which codes etc.

Sorry to be a pain buts its bugging me.

Thanks

I'd have to look at it tbh and I can't right now.

They're both on the same byte which is 0 or 1 whichever is first. But it may be different on your anyway as not all cars have the same things in the same places.

ok Thanks mate.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I notice anything different.

If you do get chance I'd be very grateful