a3 8p cruise control instructions & vagcom coding?

fizz

Reaction score
Hi guys, managed to buy the cruise stalk & cover from local stealer and read my steering ECU to make sure it was he right one, which it was. Im going to have a bash @ installing this myself and wanted to know if anyone has any instructions as I heard the kits ordered from vagparts contained instructions. The only instructions i've managed to find on the web are for the A4 (not sure if its a similar install). The coding for vagcom wuld also be appreciated. Thanks in advance

All now sorted, thanks to help from VRStu, for info the coding needed for vagcom on 16 (Steering) after the physical fitting is:

The only digit I changed on mine was the 2nd to last digit - from a 1 (Board Computer, No Cruise Control) to a 4 (Board Computer, Cruise Control).

After I did the following to login to the engine ECU:

select Coding II - 11
enter 11463 in to the coding

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation that I was in.

Reactions: Elliot5
Was it easy enough to fit the stalk and cover?

It's quite easy, but you do have to remove the steering wheel.

Was it easy enough to fit the stalk and cover?

yeh easy enought, however have to remove ECU which can be tricky as the PCB can get easily damaged if your not careful. Once its out its just a case of unclicking the old Stalk and sliding on the new one.

Just to point out you don't remove the ECU as in the Engine Control Unit, you need to remove the Steering Control Unit which is located on the steering column.

Fizz - Juudging the fact that you mention not damaging the PCB leads me to believe that firstly you didn't get my reply to your PM in time last night and secondly you removed the Steering Controller by taking it apart which is very definately not the way to do it ;)

The 11463 login only applies to the TDi, S3 and TFSi will use long coding.

I 2nd that one, dont remove the bottom plastic of the steering module, you need to have a thin piece of metal to slide into a slot & push to side or up etc to make the tab loose so you can lower the front then rear you need to push in a tab with your finger to remove this module, removing trim 1st can break the contact pins & then you're well & truly fecked trust me as mine actually came of when I was pulling my module downwards purely accidental, luckily had another

****** hell looks like I was lucky then. I got the pic Stu but thought thats what it meant - as in take PCB out

Yep it's a 2.3mm drill or similar you need, push that through the little hole in the front to release the front clip and then use your finger to release the other one from the rear.

Yep it's a 2.3mm drill or similar you need, push that through the little hole in the front to release the front clip and then use your finger to release the other one from the rear.

Aha now it makes sense. I guess I must have panicked seeing as I was due in at work in the morning and had a car without a steering wheel lol

Yeah funny enough I used a small drill bit aswell, lol, there's a knack to it but once done few times you'll be a pro, lol

Can someone help by getting all the info from their controller. I have coded it correctly, but as I fitted a controller from a US golf gti, I think i need to make changes to the other boxes ie workshop number etc? As such my DIS only has a few functions as before and my cruise has gone all wierd, still works but won't resume and us activated by pulling forward then down?

I'd be very grateful

Can someone help by getting all the info from their controller. I have coded it correctly, but as I fitted a controller from a US golf gti, I think i need to make changes to the other boxes ie workshop number etc? As such my DIS only has a few functions as before and my cruise has gone all wierd, still works but won't resume and us activated by pulling forward then down?

I'd be very grateful

If you have installed a steering module with a reference starting 1K0 then that is the reason.

When I fitted cc to my car it had a module 1K0 rev AF and worked the same as you describe.

Pull towards to activate, flick down to set speed, flick up to increase speed, down to reduce speed.

After braking or changing gear the cc dis-engages - to 'resume' just flick up again to re-engage and it continues to the previously set speed.

When you push away from you to cancel you have to pull towards you again before you can reset.

I think the only way to have the cc operate in accordance with the labels on the stalk is to fit a steering module beginning with 8P0 (midline) .

If you have installed a steering module with a reference starting 1K0 then that is the reason.

When I fitted cc to my car it had a module 1K0 rev AF and worked the same as you describe.

Pull towards to activate, flick down to set speed, flick up to increase speed, down to reduce speed.

After braking or changing gear the cc dis-engages - to 'resume' just flick up again to re-engage and it continues to the previously set speed.

When you push away from you to cancel you have to pull towards you again before you can reset.

I think the only way to have the cc operate in accordance with the labels on the stalk is to fit a steering module beginning with 8P0 (midline) .

I'll put the old one back in then! (AH, came with car) cruise always worked fine, I bought a 1K0 953 549 AG to make my FBMFSW controls work,thinking I would work ok, think I'll put my old one back in and just fit the harness for now so at least it will light up :(

Thanks again for your help mike

I tried and failed!!!
Took the steering wheel and lower trim off without much probs.
But could not take the steering ecu out.
Any one got pics or info how to unclip what from where.
Aslo does the clock spring mech need to be taken off to before the stalk removed?
If so how's that done?

Ta in advance

I tried and failed!!!
Took the steering wheel and lower trim off without much probs.
But could not take the steering ecu out.
Any one got pics or info how to unclip what from where.
Aslo does the clock spring mech need to be taken off to before the stalk removed?
If so how's that done?

Ta in advance

A little research before you started might have been a better idea !

A search on this forum found this which you should have checked first:-

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...sis/111696-cruise-control-retrofit-guide.html

Thanks for the the ticking off and link to very informative write up.

If you get stuck, I'm up towards that area soon doing some installs, so could pop along & fit for you.

Thanks for the offer. What sort of timescale/cost would I be facing?