Rough 1st to 2nd gear change

Sem

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm having problems getting a smooth gear change from 1st to 2nd.

Every time I select 2nd and lift my foot off the clutch then apply the accelerator the car jerks.

The car has done this since new but I thought i'd get some miles on it before booking it in to the dealer (I suspect they would have told me the clutch needs bedding in).

Are they all like this or should I book it in and get it checked? Car has 3000 miles on it now.

They aren't all like that at all. Yours is defective and needs to be sorted by Audi.

sounds like a clutch prob or my golf did something similar and it were the clutch switch..

back to audi...

hope they get it sorted...

Cheers, I will get it booked in today.
If I try very hard I can get a smooth gear change, this involves releasing the clutch very slowly and then applying the accelerator very gently.

Clutch/Flywheel mate. Mine does the exact same but it gets worse over time. Reversing is nightmare

Booked in tomorrow, Audi are sending a tech out to my work to test drive the car as I can't make it over to them until next week. Never expected them to send someone out to me so I have to say i'm quite impressed with my first warranty experience.

Will update the post when I get the diagnosis.

Update:

Audi tech reckons it's normal and can be prevented by applying accelerator before the clutch is fully released.

I disagree, he also suggested it may be a problem with the factory mapping.

They are arranging an hours test drive for me in another vehicle, if this exhibits the same problem then I have requested a software update be raised with Audi.

What do you reckon guys?

A good idea to drive another same spec as yours.

How can they say its normal then say it could be a problem with the map???

It's either right or wrong.....

Update..

Drove another A3 with the same engine/transmission and it did exactly the same.

Audi UK said it's the first they have heard of any such issue.

I'm not prepared to ride the clutch just to get a smooth gear change so I guess i'll just have to wait until more people report the problem before they make any progress on this.

There is nothing wrong with your car. I got an Audi A4 S Line 2.0TDi and I know exactly what you talking bout.

You gotta change to 2nd when you accelerate, and on the peak of the rev you change down rapidly to 2nd gear.

Its a technique you need to master but you gotta change it like a Pro driver.

mine does exactly the same i have a 1.6fsi but its worst when its cold

There is nothing wrong with your car. I got an Audi A4 S Line 2.0TDi and I know exactly what you talking bout.

You gotta change to 2nd when you accelerate, and on the peak of the rev you change down rapidly to 2nd gear.

Its a technique you need to master but you gotta change it like a Pro driver.

Looks like i need to learn to drive again then!

Mine does this too,i'm glad it's not just my driving.

Could part of the problem be how short 1st is? You build a lot of revs without much speed very quickly in 1st and then change up into a longer 2nd that bogs down. You can drive around it, but I'm usually on the power before I'm off the clutch anyway. Bit of heel and toe on the way down and jobs a good'un :thumbsup:

Yeah I initially thought something was wrong with mine also. But I studied my cars reaction. Noticed it changes in smooth on my prev comment early.
Looks like i need to learn to drive again then!

Mine does this too,i'm glad it's not just my driving.

You should be on the throttle a little as you lift the clutch to match revs.
If you come right off the throttle, let the engine drop to idle, then pop the clutch you'll get a horrible jerk as the clutch forces the engine to spin up to match the wheel speed.

Yup - My 1.6 FSI Sportback does this as well...

Only to me mind you, leaving the girlfriend commenting on my poor clutch control! :blush:

Glad to see I am not alone!

I dont know what you talking bout fam! Thats why you getting the jerk which will make you look like a rookie and get left at the lights. You have to change down to 2nd rapid when you mash down the X from 1st.
If you come right off the throttle, let the engine drop to idle, then pop the clutch you'll get a horrible jerk as the clutch forces the engine to spin up to match the wheel speed.

:iagree:

Sustaining gear changes - Matching road/wheel speed to engine speed.

But this is normally only an issue when going down the gears as you have to add revs to match. So I guess it is a pretty sensitive clutch set up*.

It wont be riding the clutch as all you are doing is just releasing the clutch under control. In fact, I would suggest it will prolong clutch life.

*[insert appropriate technical term]

If you match the revs properly it makes both your clutch and synchros last longer.

I sometimes have this problem, but I've managed to get it smooth most of the time, but only if I put a bit more revs in.

But, I've got another issue with 1st to 2nd gear. Does anyone else here sometimes find it hard to shift quickly from 1st to 2nd? It's happened a few times but I thought it was just down to driver skill, but sometimes when I launch quickly from 1st and then quickly tried to switch to 2nd, it grinds really badly like I haven't pressed the clutch down fully. It happened earlier today when I was trying to get out a junction quickly, went out in 1st and then I had my clutch firmly planted down into the floor and it grinded really badly. But after a few seconds it just slided into gear. I didn't release the clutch after it had grinded, I just took it out of gear and put it back in. Think my description is a little confusing.

I don't think the standard map is ideal for fast gear changes. I have a problem where the engine is almost stuttering momentarily and does not pick up as quickly I would expect if I am very quick/aggressive with gear changes whilst generous with the throttle, I suspect this is something in the standard map to stop shock loadings on the clutch as if I'm slower or more gentle with the gear changes it's absolutely fine.

Certainly if you're having grinding sounds i'd suggest it needs looking at by a garage, could be something clutch or linkage/selector related at a guess.

I noticed this with my 2.0 fsi as well.
It's not a massive jerk, but definitely noticable and more than I have experienced in any of my other cars.
But as pointed out, it only happens if I change from 1st to 2nd without pressing the accelerator a bit.
The change from 1st to 2nd is totally smooth if I up the revs slightly.
But if I give it too many revs then the car lurches forward.

I find 1st to 2nd is quite sensitive, and it's a very fine line between jerky/smooth/lurching gear changes.
Took me a bit of time to master it.

Yeah that will happen is you get over excited and pull down to 2nd gear before steppin on clutch in time. Just that slight delay in mashing clutch before gear change could f*ck up the motion.

I sometimes have this problem, but I've managed to get it smooth most of the time, but only if I put a bit more revs in.

But, I've got another issue with 1st to 2nd gear. Does anyone else here sometimes find it hard to shift quickly from 1st to 2nd? It's happened a few times but I thought it was just down to driver skill, but sometimes when I launch quickly from 1st and then quickly tried to switch to 2nd, it grinds really badly like I haven't pressed the clutch down fully. It happened earlier today when I was trying to get out a junction quickly, went out in 1st and then I had my clutch firmly planted down into the floor and it grinded really badly. But after a few seconds it just slided into gear. I didn't release the clutch after it had grinded, I just took it out of gear and put it back in. Think my description is a little confusing.

yep , same problem as my 54reg 3.2 v6 aswell! so i m not the onlt one then...