Hmm, droning noise coming from front....

dieselfitter251

Blow ma own trumpet?
Reaction score
between 25ish to 60mph....It's almost like a low toned wind noise, like blowing gentley over a beer bottle, (ahhh beer, it's been too long). I think at certain speeds I can feel a very faint harmonic vibration through the footwell although this was happening at the end of a drive back from glasgow at 1am after a 3hr rehearsal so it may have been me vibrating.
I've had a waggle at the wheels and I don't think there's any play. ANy thoughts? Inner CVJ's? I need to get somebody to sit in the back to see if it's coming from the rear, not always easy to work out where these sounds come from....
Only wheel bearing replaced in my ownership (65K miles) was the left rear. Recent front end work includes all the belts and alt. tensioner. I'm due to check my pads and discs on the front at some point this weekend, is there anything I should look out for?

the blowing over a beer bottle you describe does sound kinda bearingy

You'll find it hard to detect play unless they're properly gubbed, espeically as your front brake calipers will hold everything pretty tightly.

Ours had a similar noise from the front, which became more pronounced on fast corners, in one direction only, and vanished on fast corners in the other direction, obviously due to the loading on the bearing.

Swapped both front bearings when i did the arms and the noise went.

It's what I'm thinking too, although I'm mostly noticing it in straight lines just now.

you can hear bearings when you spin the wheels out of gear (on a jack).
make sure you are hearing the bearing and not the drive shaft turning stuff inboard, but if they sound at all rough they probably are

try steering left/right and see if the noise changes?

WAs just out, definately more noticeable after a good nights sleep, more pronounce when turning left and less so when turning right. Is it a big job? Last wheel bearing I change was on the rear of a '89 Jetta!

Cool. £18.60 from GSF, once more into the unkown :O)

If only my ABS was so simple :keule:

Maybe my ex mrs is caught under the car, she made a constant droning noise......

Seriously

Front wheel bearings are Press fit on these, and depending on age could have circlips holding them in or could just rely on the tight tolerances to hold it in place

yer, you will need a big vice or a hydraulic press, and a selection of drifts/sockets/large bits of metal to ensure your only applying pressure on the race, and not applying pressure to the rollers.

I did mine with a vice, and being the press-fit only bearings with no circlips they were REALLY tight.

You could always take the knuckle off and take it to a garage to press it in.

Trying to work out which side it is can be tricky, you say turning left makes it worse, turning left would load up the right hand bearing more, so it might follow that its the right one thats gone. Probably an idea to change both though.

AYe, probelms are worse than I thought. I was just on my way back from DUmfries and the noise got really loud. Pulled away from a set of temp. traffic lights and it felt as if my car had no power (no jokes please you guys ;O) ), there's also a more noticable pull to the right and harmonic vibration through the foot well. I'm waiting for my laptop to charge to go and check VAGCOM just incase I coincidently have a boost issue but I'm thinkin the bearing is about to collapse or sieze or both. I've felt the hub of the wheel and there's no heat but I know that doesn't really count for much.
My main issue is that the one garage I trust is 15miles away and I jus don't have the tools. I've got breakdown so I'm guessing I'll just have to chance it.

sounds very like the bearing has siezed or is very close to seizing if your actually getting problems moving off.

I personally wouldnt drive the car, what can happen is the bearing siezes and the hub turns inside the inner race, drive very far like that and either a) the whole lot welds itself together or b) you wreck the hub itself.

Jack the corners up and see if you can spin the wheels by hand. If not, get the car to a garage, by recovery truck, and get the bearing changed.

Aye, a job for the morning light I think. I believe that once I get this sorted, fix the abs and finish sorting the sciffy paint work I'm going to sell it. I'll have to be without my transport for a while but I'm losing a fortune on her. Sad to see her go but when there are cars like this out there http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...cleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=03

I think it'd be the best option.

Check all four corners and they're rotating happily enough... however, I did scan the scan just to check nd found this....
VAG-COM Version: Release 303.1

Chassis Type: 8D - B5 Audi A4
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,25,35,45,46,55,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 028 906 021 GL
Component: G00SG 1446
Coding: 00003
Shop #: WSC 06325
1 Faults Found:
00519 - Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor (G71)
28-00 - Short to B+
Readiness: N/A
Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8E0 614 111 A
Component: ABS/EDS 5.3 QUATTRO D00
Coding: 0273004284
Shop #: BB 24334
3 Faults Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Left (G46)
35-00 - -
00287 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor: Rear Right (G44)
35-00 - -
Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8L0 820 043 B
Component: A4 KLIMAVOLLAUTOMAT_D73
Coding: 04144
Shop #: WSC 06325
0 Faults Found:
Skipping Address 15-Airbags
Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8D0 919 036 A
Component: B5-KOMBIINSTRUMENT__D12
Coding: 00440
Shop #: WSC 19411
0 Faults Found:
Address 25 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 4A0 953 234 F
Component: IMMO AUZ9Z0V5202312 D77
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00665
0 Faults Found:
Address 35 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 8LO 862 257
Component: ZV-Pumpe, DWA, Funk
Coding: 10184
Shop #: WSC 65535
0 Faults Found:
End -------------------------------------------------------

Just to show, does the part number in this case refer to the G71 unit or the longer G number?

part number?

The only part number there is the part number of the controller, which is the engine ECU.

As you suspected, it was a conincidental issue... Check the sensors plugged in ok?

Aye, have to find it first! Is the G71 teh same thing as the N75 on the petrol cars, maybe located roughly in the same place?

N75 isnt a MAP sensor, its a boost control valve.

1.8T B5's dont have a MAP sensor, so no idea where it would be mounted. Just have a good look around the boost pipework and follow any vacuum lines you find.

Aye. It's like spaghetti junction on acid!!! I'm surprised some of these vacuum lines haven't failed yet, they're just about disintigrating.

Right then... According to Audi I can get a new sensor from them for 25quidish?.... Wheel bearing will be next week....
...but. The map sensor is mounted on the air pipe which runs to the intercooler, I've had the pipe off just to see how easy it is to get to the sensor and I've notice quite a bit of oil inside the pipe(s).... I know I've been burning a bit fo quite a while now but what involved (if I do decide to keep the car) in fixing this issue, I'm guessing it would be a similar fix on a petrol engine as it's more of a turbo issue rather than a petrol or diesel specific issue.

Its actually pretty normal to find oil in there tbh.

I presume it comes from the turbo, but you find that even on petrol cars.

I wouldnt worry about it. Perhaps give the intercooler a flush if you feel like doing something.

Cool. When I move up to East Lothian I'll make a point of swingin by Bo'ness and buying you a pint mate. Thanks again.

SHe lives!!!!!!!!!

Offending unit on the right. £70ish from GSF for a new one. Car pulls great now. I've replaced some of the small vaccum pipes and will continue with this as time goes on. I need to get a larger diameter for some other pipes but I'm quite pleased I've got it sorted. Looks like it'll have to go in to get the wheel bearing sorted.