Speedo not right

ash_pearce

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A3 1.8t sport 5 speed 1997.

My speedo is reading about 5 to 10 mph out. Looks like someone has had the clocks to bit before as the abs led is missing. Realating back to an old mot failure it seems someone has removed the abs light just to pass the mot.

Moving on...

Could someone please tell me what rpm they are doing to a certain speed?

Or 5th gear at 1000rpm what speed are you doing?

Or where does your needle sit when the ignition is off,

i think i've made this sound complicated as always.. lol

thanks in advance

its easy to find out if the clocks have been tampered with. Take out the speedo from the dash and look on the back of the clocks. There should be a paper white seal were the back white plastic meets the front black bit. If its brocken then i would say they have been tampered with. The red needles should sit on the zero when the ignition if off.

its easy to find out if the clocks have been tampered with. Take out the speedo from the dash and look on the back of the clocks. There should be a paper white seal were the back white plastic meets the front black bit. If its brocken then i would say they have been tampered with. The red needles should sit on the zero when the ignition if off.

I've had them apart thats how i know the led is missing. Clearly someone has messed with them in the past. Vagcom is showing front right abs sensor, anoying that someone has messed the speedo up for a £15 part.

Mine reads 70mph in 5th gear at 3000 rpm any ideas if that is right?

there must be someone who can tell me what speed they are doing in 5th gear at 3000rpm please! or any other combination of speed/rpm

The red needles should sit on the zero when the ignition if off.

Actually thats not true, they should sit at zero when the ignition is turned but car not started, they sit below the zero lines when the keys are out

Actually thats not true, they should sit at zero when the ignition is turned but car not started, they sit below the zero lines when the keys are out

really? I guess these are brocken then.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-S3-INSTR...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

BQoJCZ2kKGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYjRBJ54V9WLM.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S4-Dash-...9|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

7b29_1.jpg

I've dealt with several clusters & none of them have sat at zero when keys are out, bottom line is as above they should sit exactly at zero when the ignition is turned, so work of that

No disrespect but you're quoting from pictures of ebay & given how small of a percentage they could be out & they are known to be between 5-10mph out anyway from factory, if you look close at these the needles on the speedo side are actually below the zero line & I hazard a guess when the clusters you show are installed in a car they sit above the zero line, also the S3 one fuel gauge is below the line, be factual not fictional & quote from a working cluster not of ebay links then I'll accept what you're saying as a fair comment.

I've dealt with several clusters & none of them have sat at zero when keys are out, bottom line is as above they should sit exactly at zero when the ignition is turned, be factual not fictional.

heres a pic of mine with keys out.

IMG_1226.jpg

Even your rev counter isnt level & speedo slightly of the mark, what about when ignition turned?

Edit: you removed your post while I posted so amended mine.

Specsavers mate, I'm not a mod

Huh?

its about 1mm below, just like the S3 one.

mine
fdc.jpg

ebay`s
BQoJCZ2kKGrHgoOKjcEjlLmYjRBJ54V9WLM.jpg

both mine with ignition on and ebays with ignition clearly off are the same. rev counter on the dot and speedo 1mm below.

Well yours is different to my previous cars clusters then & the new 09 facelift white cluster I now have, but speedo should be spot on & no doesnt mean they're broken just not spot on correct, then again most speedo's are not 100% correct anyway, but if when ignition is turned on & they are all on the actual zero line not below or above then your closer than most, but to help the guy asking just make sure they're on the line then see if you still think they're out, even the smallest amount makes differences given the dial measurements of speed, clusters seem to be non uniform tbh when you'd expect them to all show same characturistics interms of where the needles sit etc, but alas.

there must be someone who can tell me what speed they are doing in 5th gear at 3000rpm please! or any other combination of speed/rpm

Checked this earlier and speedo read 73mph (private road of course haha)

My cars got 18" TT's on which would make a difference but thought I would post this as a start :sm4:

Checked this earlier and speedo read 73mph (private road of course haha)

My cars got 18" TT's on which would make a difference but thought I would post this as a start :sm4:

thanks mate looks like i'm not far off then.