⚠️ALL S3 8V OWNERS COOLANT LEAK!!!!!!

Tell them still leaking, issue not fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They will be getting more than a talking been back 5 times now ready for getting rid of car,had nearly £4000 spent on it in 6 month

Mine is due in two weeks to be looked at but I am due to London from the north west but I am a bit worried that I am going to cause damage as it is still leaking water and was thinking of ringing them to take it off me now.

While installing my JB4 I took the below pictures. A week before this I got a low coolant warning a hot day while driving slow in heavy traffic for about 20min. I added two cups of distilled water when I got home and haven't had the warning since and the coolant doesn't seem to disappear.

What do you guys think? Car has done 22k miles and is from september 2017.

Upload 2019 5 22 11 20 33

Attachments

• IMG_2003 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2003 (Custom).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 503
  • IMG_2002 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_2002 (Custom).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 510
It was only a matter of time!

God dammit.... I think I’ve been pretty unlucky with this car so far - they do recognise my face at the local Audi shop though :whistle2:

Reactions: oli356
Lehn,

Those wet greasy spots on the undertray and the position of the residue on the plastic oil pan was exactly the symptoms I had in mine. I confirmed the leak on the thermostat housing, which seems to happen only on longer drives on warm days, probably early stages. I ordered the parts from ECS (thermostat housing, water pump, hose couplers, O-rings) at half the price of the Audi parts dept.

Hi all,
Well got car back again,it turns out the pipe off the thermostat housing was leaking as well and the mechanic decided to put some silicone round it to stop it leaking,after kicking off with the manager over it they have changed the plastic part and the 2 pipes going to it free of charge,car seems ok so far but only done 40mile they have done 50 in it so fingers crossed now,oh and been told the thermostat housing is an updated one so won’t suffer the same problem again,the old one apparently splits near the bleed nipple.
Would just like to thank the above people for all the advice it’s much appreciated to you all.

I am amazed at the amount of write ups I am seeing here about this issue. I have a 2015 A3 - 8V....I bought the car from a Audi dealer 5 months ago. 27K miles. 2 weeks ago I had a check engine light and the code came up Low coolant flow / performance. I have a scan tool so I cleared code hoping was a fluke. I had no light come on for low coolant level as my tank was just above min line. Well, 4 days later code came back and like a knucklehead I cleared and next day brought to Audi. They would not look at car because it had no visible engine warning light and would not go on my word alone as to what I believe is going on. I have had vw's with the 2.0 and coolant is a nightmare with them. After the 2nd light I filled coolant in tank to just below max line and have not had a engine light in 2 weeks now....Question: Where the hell is this coolant going?, no leaks on ground, none visible in engine bay that I can find.....Periodically I do smell "rotten eggs"......

I am amazed at the amount of write ups I am seeing here about this issue. I have a 2015 A3 - 8V....I bought the car from a Audi dealer 5 months ago. 27K miles. 2 weeks ago I had a check engine light and the code came up Low coolant flow / performance. I have a scan tool so I cleared code hoping was a fluke. I had no light come on for low coolant level as my tank was just above min line. Well, 4 days later code came back and like a knucklehead I cleared and next day brought to Audi. They would not look at car because it had no visible engine warning light and would not go on my word alone as to what I believe is going on. I have had vw's with the 2.0 and coolant is a nightmare with them. After the 2nd light I filled coolant in tank to just below max line and have not had a engine light in 2 weeks now....Question: Where the hell is this coolant going?, no leaks on ground, none visible in engine bay that I can find.....Periodically I do smell "rotten eggs"......
I had same thing,turned out to be thermostat housing,it leaks where the bleed valve is but takes a while to go to where you can see it,mine took 4month before Audi huddersfield found the problem,they also ended up changing the plastic pipe what goes to it,hope you get it sorted buddy cost me £945

Thanks Sag!...Did u have a check engine light appear as well?.....
No engine light mate I was checking water level daily as I told them it smelled of antifreeze so I kept an eye on it till they found problem just topped it up every now and then,the new thermostat housing is different now as they have changed design of it to stop this problem apparently

Reactions: TIMOTHY CLARK
Depends...The dealer specs allow 3.5 hr for swap......Doing yourself may be longer

Reactions: s5joe
No engine light mate I was checking water level daily as I told them it smelled of antifreeze so I kept an eye on it till they found problem just topped it up every now and then,the new thermostat housing is different now as they have changed design of it to stop this problem apparently

Do you know what the new part number is at all ?

Depends...The dealer specs allow 3.5 hr for swap......Doing yourself may be longer
I was not going to do it myself it’s just I don’t think mines been changed due to the fact the screws are not shiny and how quick they rang me to say it was completely done and I am still loosing water I need a mirror to have a look really

Had a slow coolant leak for 2 weeks. Went on holiday for a week came back and all coolant on the drive and under tray. Took it to a local garage today the leak coming from the thermostat housing. I’m having the water pump replaced as well as it all fits together. 3/4 hours labour I’ve been quoted roughly £600.
The amount of Audi’s that suffer with this they should be recalled in my opinion.

Have you brought to dealer? Here in the states I was still under warranty....Very known issue with engine. We also have an EPA warranty that covers for useful life of engine because it is related to emissions. 15yr/150k miles......

Have you brought to dealer? Here in the states I was still under warranty....Very known issue with engine. We also have an EPA warranty that covers for useful life of engine because it is related to emissions. 15yr/150k miles......

I haven’t taken it to a dealer no because my car is TD1, I assume they’ll somehow blame the defect on that even though it is impossible to be related!

Reactions: TIMOTHY CLARK
My Wife got the dreaded 'turn off engine check coolant' warning light 40 mins into her hour commute this morning! She sat for a bit & then continued to work. I popped over to have a look & the level in the expansion tank was about 10mm under the min mark. I topped up with G13 ready mixed coolant. I did take a brief look for any sign of a leak or antifreeze crusting but couldn't see anything obvious. I'm aware of the fragile nature of the thermostat housings on these engines as my previous GTI mk 7 suffered from it. I will get Audi to have a look because it's under an approved used warranty. Can anyone who's had their housing replaced give me an idea how long Audi had their car? Thanks

mine was a week but first time they said nothing wrong, then took it back and they finally replaced it after i caught them lying saying they had taken the car our for two tests drives when the tracker showed it hadnt moved all day. Could be my dealership in rayleigh essex, but put me off buying another audi after id just spent near on 25k with them. They not going to go bust without my money but local dealerships might get a rocket if they dont meet sales targets if

Just got low coolant first drive after being parked in my garage for a month, floor wet underneath, well below min, topped up then drove a few short journeys to have the warning pop up again,have topped up again. Car 37 months old so just out of warranty. Phoned Audi UK for any goodwill/leeway but was told that if it was 1 day over the warranty was finished. They advised me to take it to dealers and they might be able to help. Phoned dealers but similar story but they might after they do a diagnostic check to see what the problem is....Nov 4th till a courtesy car is available, can't wait for the drivel/crap they will come out with. Both were totally unaware of this historical problem happening to an Audi S3 stating that there was no recall on this issue. Got 2lr coolant in boot just in case. Garage even said that they will recover the car to them an spouted off collection fees etc! It's all about the money. I did mention that they should look at the forums/google this fault but they didn't seem to be interested. Will report back in a few weeks.

I had my issue on a 2015 A3 Quattro, SULEV warranty. Make sure you let AUDI know this is an emissions related warranty if they say u are not covered if you are out of warranty. Luckily I made the original warranty by a few hundred miles. SULEV vehicles are covered 10 yrs / 150K....They replaced the coolant pump and thermostat within 4 hrs. of the day I dropped it off.

Just got low coolant first drive after being parked in my garage for a month, floor wet underneath, well below min, topped up then drove a few short journeys to have the warning pop up again,have topped up again. Car 37 months old so just out of warranty. Phoned Audi UK for any goodwill/leeway but was told that if it was 1 day over the warranty was finished. They advised me to take it to dealers and they might be able to help. Phoned dealers but similar story but they might after they do a diagnostic check to see what the problem is....Nov 4th till a courtesy car is available, can't wait for the drivel/**** they will come out with. Both were totally unaware of this historical problem happening to an Audi S3 stating that there was no recall on this issue. Got 2lr coolant in boot just in case. Garage even said that they will recover the car to them an spouted off collection fees etc! It's all about the money. I did mention that they should look at the forums/google this fault but they didn't seem to be interested. Will report back in a few weeks.
What make and model is your car?......SULEV covered?.....AUDI is 100 percent responsible for this replacement.

What make and model is your car?......SULEV covered?.....AUDI is 100 percent responsible for this replacement.
Am in the UK so I think it's different over here, it's one of the early fl sportbacks. Will still try my hardest to get something out them but am not holding my breath!

Am in the UK so I think it's different over here, it's one of the early fl sportbacks. Will still try my hardest to get something out them but am not holding my breath!
My bad.....Sorry, didn't think of out of USA.....Good luck pal.....

My Wife got the dreaded 'turn off engine check coolant' warning light 40 mins into her hour commute this morning! She sat for a bit & then continued to work. I popped over to have a look & the level in the expansion tank was about 10mm under the min mark. I topped up with G13 ready mixed coolant. I did take a brief look for any sign of a leak or antifreeze crusting but couldn't see anything obvious. I'm aware of the fragile nature of the thermostat housings on these engines as my previous GTI mk 7 suffered from it. I will get Audi to have a look because it's under an approved used warranty. Can anyone who's had their housing replaced give me an idea how long Audi had their car? Thanks

I got the low coolant warning and I could see by looking down from above that the undertray was wet. I took that off, dried everything and started the engine until the drips started to appear from the thermostat housing and took photos of it. I took the car in to Audi Warrington and emailed them the photos. Car was repaired and back with me in under 9 hours, I think. They even washed and hoovered it! All done for free as it was still just within the warranty period. It isn't anymore.

I got the low coolant warning and I could see by looking down from above that the undertray was wet. I took that off, dried everything and started the engine until the drips started to appear from the thermostat housing and took photos of it. /QUOTE]
Excellent result , any chance of putting one of the pics up to help us see where it actually leaks from

If the part is sub £150 for genuine, how the hell are people being charged £900+ for new ones fitted?
Im paying attention to this thread as worried I will become a victim to another VAG "scam" that should have been a recall but unless I'm missing something this is a relatively straight forward DIY job *apart from bleeding the system afterwards*

If the part is sub £150 for genuine, how the hell are people being charged £900+ for new ones fitted?
Im paying attention to this thread as worried I will become a victim to another VAG "scam" that should have been a recall but unless I'm missing something this is a relatively straight forward DIY job *apart from bleeding the system afterwards*

Just to add to my comment, and a side note : does anyone remember the ABS pump issue that the old A3, Altea, Golf, TT platform had? where the bosch micro switch seized inside the pump throwing the ESP light? I had an Altea FR and Seat covered the job fully on a 7 year old car with no Seat history, my mate in his pride and joy FASH A3 at 4 years old got nothing and cost him £500 plus for a new unit ---- go figure F... Y.. AUDI!

I got the low coolant warning and I could see by looking down from above that the undertray was wet. I took that off, dried everything and started the engine until the drips started to appear from the thermostat housing and took photos of it. I took the car in to Audi Warrington and emailed them the photos. Car was repaired and back with me in under 9 hours, I think. They even washed and hoovered it! All done for free as it was still just within the warranty period. It isn't anymore.

Could you tell me exactly where & what to look down at, as I may try this with my Audi dealership! I've got the car booked in on 31st of this month. Thanks.

Could you tell me exactly where & what to look down at, as I may try this with my Audi dealership! I've got the car booked in on 31st of this month. Thanks.

+1 for this as my request got lost in the quote above;
'Excellent result , any chance of putting one of the pics up to help us see where it actually leaks from'

Reactions: CraigM
I got the low coolant warning Friday evening - Checked it and it was low - I've had a musty smell a couple of times in the morning when I open the garage so assumed it must have the issue that lots of others on here have had. All my Audis I've never had to top up coolant

So topped the coolant up Saturday and booked it in

The car went into the dealership today (2018 S3 so still under warranty) - No sign of any leaks on the Thermostat Housing or Water Pump - Nothing in the under tray

Pressure tested it all morning and nothing

Going down as unexplained at the moment

Nothing I can do obviously but I hate these situations where you have the warning, the smell and the level is low but answer is we don't know (not their fault I know) - Where did it come out from and go?

Watch this space

Just had the warning telling me to switch off the engine and check the coolant level. Still in warranty so it’ll be a call to Audi tomorrow I think.

Sorry, I only just saw this request. Here is the best photo a could get, the coolant seemed to be coming from around the groove of the rounded-rectangular piece, that is almost in the centre of the photo. This is looking from underneath with the undertray off.

Attachments

• 20190422_182342-1.jpg
    20190422_182342-1.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 440
So..... first time poster, long time Lerker!
Had my 65 plate sportback S3 for few months now but other week got ‘Low Coolant Level’ on dash and low and behold was quite below min level.
Topped up 100ml and all good and today been to get service at Audi and get told thermostat housing leaking and Audi wanting £780 .
3.5 hrs labour at 180 per hour (inc VAT) - They should be wearing a mask as daylight robbery!!

My question is, should I replace water pump, thermostat and belt together?
And, is thermostat and housing all one unit?

Thanks