⚠️Have you checked your rear tie arms lately?⚠️

16Klappe

Man Boost!
Supporter
Reaction score
Morning all,

Doing a bit of work on the S3 yesterday and I came across this.

53792490_2254842594730909_9215023780072521728_o.jpg

All four were just as bad.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that you thoroughly check over your car, especially if it is new to you.

I've done about 250 miles since November in my S3, any one of those miles I have been a pothole away from a major mishap.

If I can miss something as in your face as this then anyone can, so I'd really suggest adding a tie arm inspection to your to do list/service routine.

Happy boosting.

Reactions: silestanix, voorhees, beeitch and 5 others
Lucky.

I have the cookbot lower arms on mine and I check them regularly as no matter how tight I get the locking nuts, they seem to eventually slacken themselves.

Jeez those are bad, No way that should have passed an MOT I can't imagine it's suddenly got like that in the last 12 months. When I replaced the lower arms on my TT I found one had a small hole in it but nothing like you have. Chip that rust away and it will look a lot worse.
DSC 2907

Always worth checking them, this happened to me in October last year on my TT, this was the result of a seized bush but the result is the same, scary!

b0158ba03c2543177189798490b803d4.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Always worth checking them, this happened to me in October last year on my TT, this was the result of a seized bush but the result is the same, scary!

b0158ba03c2543177189798490b803d4.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
How fast were you going when that happened?

Mine when I changed them. Well worth checking.

My shocks were worse off so check those out too!

IMG 0031

Jeez those are bad, No way that should have passed an MOT I can't imagine it's suddenly got like that in the last 12 months. When I replaced the lower arms on my TT I found one had a small hole in it but nothing like you have. Chip that rust away and it will look a lot worse.
View attachment 177408
second that....Was there at least some kind of advisory on last MOT?
If this was undetected on my car on the last MOT and something happened , it would be in the hands of a lawyer.

second that....Was there at least some kind of advisory on last MOT?
If this was undetected on my car on the last MOT and something happened , it would be in the hands of a lawyer.
So do you want the MOTer to chip away at any rust on your car to inspect it ? Could be very time consuming

Damn. I'd better check mine. The underside of mine is fairly crispy. I was planning on replacing all 4 arms with adjustable over the super when I go fitting coilovers. I've already got a bit of camber on the rear with stock suspension.

Happend to me today reversing into parking space at work. Think my silver project tie bars had been on for 4 years.

Glad it happened while reversing.

This happened to me two years ago, i was reversing out of a parking space at work. I change the lower sway bar (correct me if it is the wrong technical term) on the left side at the same time. The lower sway bar on the left side was very rusty as well.

Morning all,

Doing a bit of work on the S3 yesterday and I came across this.

53792490_2254842594730909_9215023780072521728_o.jpg

All four were just as bad.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that you thoroughly check over your car, especially if it is new to you.

I've done about 250 miles since November in my S3, any one of those miles I have been a pothole away from a major mishap.

If I can miss something as in your face as this then anyone can, so I'd really suggest adding a tie arm inspection to your to do list/service routine.

Happy boosting.

Hi Mate,
This happened to me 5 years ago and I got new rose bushes and new tie arm as it broke. It passed the Irish version of the MOT 2 weeks ago and the car is dry stored for 9 months of the year. Should I re bush the rear again? I keep thinking that I could have been killed that day and am always nervous if my parents for jumps into it ! Car has been faultless since. Thanks for your advice. Naoise

Happend to me today reversing into parking space at work. Think my silver project tie bars had been on for 4 years.

Glad it happened while reversing.
how were those silver project ones? they're a pretty low cost compared to others out there. Im an apprentice so money is abit tight at the mo but im in dire need of some lower tie arms.

Hi - is this a garage only job or can all 4 be replaced on the drive?

Hi - is this a garage only job or can all 4 be replaced on the drive?
Yes it can be done on your drive but its a bit you might be a pencil pusher with zero mechanical experience in that case no.
It will need the geometry of the wheels set afterwards.

Yes it can be done on your drive but its a bit you might be a pencil pusher with zero mechanical experience in that case no.
It will need the geometry of the wheels set afterwards.
Thanks. I have mechanical experience to a level but I don't have a garage or full set of tools. Will get a quote or two.

Reactions: voorhees