000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) Fault

midgelfc

Reaction score
Having a bit of a hard time finding any information on this error.

2007 Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro 170

Basically the car has been running sluggish for a few weeks, taking longer to turn over in the morning and a bit jittery/shaking at low revs until the car warms up.

Then yesterday after being out in it during the day with no issues i went to get in last night and the car wouldn't start, had the engine light and glow plugs light on the dash followed by low oil pressure warning in the DIS, though i reckon this was because i kept trying to turn it over... to me it seemed more like a battery issue as it just felt like it didn't have enough juice. Anyway removed the battery and charged it over night and it started grand the next morning. When i ran a VCDS scan it reported back 000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28) fault.

I've looked here and online and can't find any definitive answers regarding this error. I rang my local Audi dealer and gave them the part number and they said it wasn't showing anything in their stock and that it was for a VW Passat.

Anyone able to shed any light?

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-018-BMN.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 018 DN HW: 03G 906 018 DN
Software Coding: 0000172
Work Shop Code: WSC 06314 000 00000

1 Fault Found:

000801 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P0321 - 006 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 104674 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.11.08
Time: 19:30:27

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 160 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Raw, Form. N/A: 000 000 000
Raw, Form. N/A: 000 000 000
Raw, Form. N/A: 000 255 000
Bin. Bits: 00000001

I assume that you've Googled for this and reviewed Ross-Tech wiki? Always a good starting point for me:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16705/P0321/000801
Yes mate, sure did. Car has some of the symptoms from that wiki page. My issue is trying to find the part associated with my car. Doesn't seem to be much reported here about a Engine Speed Sensor, my local dealers say's its a VW part not present in Audi A3 8P :S.

Only other article i have found is this guide but it's for an A4 - http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/enginespeedsensor.html

If yo uare just after the correct part, then raise a part request via the form in the forum menu above. Based on what you described, here's what I would do:

Clear the code and monitor to see if it comes back - if it does, then it's nothing to do with the battery being drained
Check the wiring on your sensor - a plug may have just come loose or wire damaged
Raise a part request with Mike - see link in the menu at the top. He is a top bloke and will help you find the correct part for you car at a good price
Replace the part, then clear the code

Reactions: mjr901 and midgelfc
If yo uare just after the correct part, then raise a part request via the form in the forum menu above. Based on what you described, here's what I would do:

Clear the code and monitor to see if it comes back - if it does, then it's nothing to do with the battery being drained
Check the wiring on your sensor - a plug may have just come loose or wire damaged
Raise a part request with Mike - see link in the menu at the top. He is a top bloke and will help you find the correct part for you car at a good price
Replace the part, then clear the code
Cheers Leshkin, i've cleared the error code from the other night, so will do a rescan tonight and see if the error returns.

Thanks for your help

engine speed sensor is the crank sensor which youor car definately has . if it has a sporadic error then you will find that sometimes it will struggle with intermittent starting etc ,to a point that one day it will no longer start till the part is replaced.

Reactions: midgelfc
engine speed sensor is the crank sensor which youor car definately has . if it has a sporadic error then you will find that sometimes it will struggle with intermittent starting etc ,to a point that one day it will no longer start till the part is replaced.
Cheers for the info Hollow, would you happen to have any info on the crank sensor? I gave the part number from the VCDS output to audi parts dept but they said it didn't exist for my car!

easiest and fastest way to find the correct part would be to eneter your reg number on eurocar parts , then select sensors and select crank sensor . should be in stock anyway

easiest and fastest way to find the correct part would be to eneter your reg number on eurocar parts , then select sensors and select crank sensor . should be in stock anyway
Cheers for the advise, left the car in with the local mechanic and he says he thinks it's the battery that needs replacing, will go down this route and see.