007 dv and smoothing airbox

Kris6383

Ze germans are here
Reaction score
Hey everyone! What benefits can I gain from a smooth airbox and a 007 dv on a standard 1.8t? And what's the crack with drilling holes in the airbox? All help appreciated thanks

i wouldnt go buying bigger brakes to compensate

Reactions: JamieT_a3, :: blade ::, Alex C and 1 other person
Roughly translated no gains at all... drilling the air box just gives a bit more induction noise... was popular on the TT forums :)

<tuffty/>

Uprating the DV is a worth while thing, especially if you're getting or running a remap but drilling the airbag is a waste of time.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Please don't drill your airbag :witless:

Reactions: JonnyDerv, Lavis89, superkarl and 1 other person
i drilled my airbox just for the induction noise (dont drill hole too big or have loads of them either), no gains what so ever from it

Air is 150 odd degrees coming out of the turbo so irrelevant... thats what a decent intercooler is for

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JonnyDerv
Air is 150 odd degrees coming out of the turbo so irrelevant... thats what a decent intercooler is for

<tuffty/>

So why do we have cold air feeds and heat insulating air boxes even around cone induction kits ?

I drilled my air box for a bit more noise but only because I bought a panel filter, if I knew what I know now I'd probably try the s2000 cone filter instead.

The cold air thing is more applicable to NA engines than turbo engines

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JonnyDerv
pro - a little induction noise
con - lot of effort for a little induction noise

Fit a cone filter... be happy :)

<tuffty/>

The most important thing is to make sure it's not oiled.

S2000 is tested and proven + cheap, or jetex as you said
what would you suggest with fitting the cone filter? Taking airbox out completely, or cutting the airbox for the cone to fit in side?

Removing the airbox completely. Then make a bracket our of some strip metal to stop the cone flapping about. If you keep the airbox on, you wont get any more induction noise.

Alternatively you can buy a heat shield to hold it in place

Removing the airbox completely. Then make a bracket our of some strip metal to stop the cone flapping about. If you keep the airbox on, you wont get any more induction noise.

Alternatively you can buy a heat shield to hold it in place
excellent mate thank you. But.... What about it sucking in heat from the engine as people keep telling me.

the air coming out of the turbo is going to be 100+ degrees regardless of its temp entering the turbo. don't be worried about it, you will gain power from fitting the pod.

If you are worried about it, fit a heat shield

the air coming out of the turbo is going to be 100+ degrees regardless of its temp entering the turbo. don't be worried about it, you will gain power from fitting the pod.

If you are worried about it, fit a heat shield
thanks mate.

I fitted a heatshield with my Jetex cone to keep it in place and stop the maf moving about, as tuffty has pointed out the whole sucking hot air in from the engine is widely misunderstood with turbo cars, it's about getting as much flow as possible cooling is the intercoolers job.

Drilling your airbag will help the flow of air if you had a crash, worthwhile mod

I've used an s2000 filter and left the bottom part of the airbox in, couple of cable ties keeps it nicely in place.

I've used an s2000 filter and left the bottom part of the airbox in, couple of cable ties keeps it nicely in place.
any pics of your setup pal? And what s2000 filter? Looked on flea bay and there's a few.

White and red one, then painted it black so it matches evrything.

Personally I'd go jetex rather than s2000, I'm sure I've heard reports of people struggling to get over 300bhp on them, think someone here had that issue at Bill's or R-tech. I took out all the airbox but left in the stock air duct. Looks tidier in my opinion of course