01317 airbag pain!!!!!!!!!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi everyone, today I set about replacing the rear mid left parking sensor on my b6 1.9 quattro as it was faulty but upon replacing it the system would still not work and upon putting the car into reverse still only get the long bleep then nothing so I connected the car up to vcds lite and was rewarded with another fault saying (01547 mid right (g205) open to short to ground ??, so I also removed the rear mid right sensor and checked the wiring connector but found nothing wrong so I put all back and left it for a further think!!!, while I had the car connected up I stumbled across another fault saying ( 01317 control module in instrument cluster (j285) ) so I googled it but was still unsure what it actually meant, this afternoon whilst driving my airbag light came on and stayed on but went out a couple of times and came back on, can anyone shed any light on where the problem is ?, is it a faulty airbag ? Or the sensor under the driver's seat causing it ?, not bothered about the parking aid thing but need to sort out this with the airbags, not had this car long but seems dogged with faults, my 15yr old b5 seemed much better, kind regards, andy

I had a similar issue not long ago, turned out if knocked the plug for the crash sensor, unplugged, and plugged back in and worked fine ever since! Had to scan it first to decide which sensor was at fault!

Thanks for your help greg-s3, where is the crash sensor located ?, I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the sensor under drivers seat as problem only started yesterday after I pushed the seat right back so I could get into the car with the laptop as it was a tight fit!!, and wondering if doing that if it's pulled on the airbag cable and connector under the seat ?, think it might register on vcds as a different code though ??

Front crash sensors are on the back of the front panel In between the rads and headlights, yellow plugs.
Possibly under the seat may be an issue, pull the black cover up on the floor under the seat and have a gander

Yeah, had both front crash sensors off near radiator and cleaned but to no avail so I managed to get to the passenger side crash sensor the one that shows up as where the fault is I removed the foam underneath the seat belt reel and foam was very slightly damp but nothing really, removed sensor but looked OK, checked wiring but again looks OK, so I've managed to source another secondhand sensor but has not arrive yet, I've checked/wiggled the connectors under both seats but they seem OK but not removed them as don't want to create another problem!!, see what happens when the new sensor arrives, keep you posted

the wiring connector under the driver seat is a comon problem with a4s. had my air bag light come up. turned out to be the driver side air bag. in seat. so i cut both plugs and solderd the wires. and touch wood all seams good.

Reactions: Welshquattro
As Neil above has said the connection under the driver seat is a known problem. Mine only plays up if I move the seat back. I'm thinking of getting a connector from a breaker with some of the loom still attached and joining it to the one in the car making the loom longer than normal and see if that helps.

Well having pulled both n/s and o/s airbag covers off under the seats the connectors look like they've never been touched before and I didn't want to start levering them out to check any further incase I make the situation any worse however I am still waiting for the n/s side crash sensor to arrive !!!, however if this does not solve the problem I will take both underseat connectors out and have a close look, do they just lever out ??, I did try to pull on them slightly but they seemed quite fixed in situ, I think up to now the most difficult part of this job was removing the A/ B pillar trims to get at the crash sensor, I'm driving about at the moment with all panels off and laying on back seats, going back to your thread Neil i originally thought this was where the problem started as I moved both seats fully back to clean inside and after this I then seemed to noticed the airbag light on and thought it might of overstretched the airbag cables pushing seats back, keep you posted

Last edited:
to remove the under seat connector. you just squeeze the lower part of the connector and pull the upper part out. then to remove the lower connector from the plastin stay you need to push it down towards the floor as it is on guides.hope you sort this issue.

Well good news!!!!, I received the replacement sensor today and upon fitting it the airbag light went straight out without having to erase the error code, for some reason I struggled to refit the seat belt unit as it locked and would not release but then realised you have to have the seatbelt at the right angle for it to release, lost nearly an hour messing about with it (must be getting old-er!!!!) Anyway in the end thought this job was a straight forward job I suppose but also a bit of a faff mainly due to figuring out how to remove the A and B trim panels without damaging them and also thought the sensor itself looks cheap combined with the foam (wet) that audi use, thanks ever so much for all your help with this guy's, MUCH APPRECIATED.

Reactions: neil ratcliffe and Welshquattro
Cheers Neil, I forgot to mention but if anyone is having the same problem let me know and I can help you walk through the trim removal, andy