03-05 New Keys - Enlightening if want new style

NHN

Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well in my wisdom & I dont tend to give up that easily along with my many an hour checking the keys systems & relevant immo chips etc I decided maybe there's an easier way to get the newer 05 onwards style key for my 04 car, now I did actually buy 2 keys of the bay & audi couldnt code them, which was strange cause they did the same for my S4 B6 & worked, so couldnt understand why, so I decided to take my immo chip out of my old keys & stick in top of the new keys, managed to do one key but broke the other chip given they're glass & the glue used in top of old keys is solid as hell, but had one key anyway & programmed remote for locking systems so one key worked fully only cause of chip swap.

So after my many calls to key pro's, emails, readups etc I discovered that the keys are VIN encoded & brand coded from audi germany, then sent to the stealers to finish the coding with the car & other keys over the net, also there are varying immo versions that have had more & more security added by audi on each new version, along with different version megamos 48 immo chips, it just became a headache but I finally got answers for my many questions, infact 2 stealers couldnt answer me, whats new there huh, even master tech didnt have a clue why wouldnt work.

So basically I thought outside of the box here a little, ok etka shows the newer style keys under the 8P from 05, it uses the same frequency as my car, immo systems on the 8P havnt changed so effectively I should be able to order it for my car, parts guy was optimistic & he knows when I ring to throw my vin number out window as nothing I order generally is for my car, lol.

So he ordered the new style key with my key number & vin expecting it to come back as invalid order, low & behold he said unbelievably the new key has arrived, precut & its the new shape aswell, couldnt fecking believe it, old 04 style car can order a newer style key, think was about £50 odd & then coding by stealers which is 30 mins top.

I ordered the 8P0837220D which is a 434mhz remote which covers 433-434, check your remote frequency, I'm going on saturday to get key & coding done, I'll confirm 100% it works then or not.

But just goes to show if you try your luck on things sometimes the shortest path is the easiest & quickest, very shocked it worked out as knowing audi systems I've come across for years thought was gonna be an impossibility given the key listed for the car was old style.

Not gonna count chickens just yet but I'm 99% sure its gonna work given audi would have tested the key & it wouldnt have got to stealer if wasnt coded to a degree, audi can be thick on somethings but generally on these things they're **** hot, so cross fingers new keys sorted for older 8P's.

Old key:
oldkey.jpg

New Key:
newkey.jpg

Hold on a sec, the newer A3s have a new key? Any comparison pics?

tbh, I prefer the look and feel of the old key... the new one when I've used them (courtesy car during servicing) just feel horribly plasticy.. but maybe that's just me....

Nah I prefere the old one as well.....

Yeap exactly, so another bonus for using new, those 2 part ones are expensive to say the least, frenchy knows his stuff, again kudos & doesnt expect anything in return.

Lets hope saturday coding works, again not counting until done, lol

You guys are having a conversation over the aesthetics of a car key.... ave a word!! :lmfao:

You guys are having a conversation over the aesthetics of a car key.... ave a word!! :lmfao:

Given the old keys are 2-3 times as much as the new style, I'd say that answers your comment slick.

So how much does this key "conversion" cost? I like the new ones too and my old ones are looking tatty but i was always put off byt the £200+ cost for replacements

Im talking about the people saying "i like that one", "naw dood, i like that one, it looks sexier"

I was ******* myself!

We are all a sad bunch at times :yahoo:

****** hope not mate, lol, I prefer to laugh at stuff than cry tbh, in the face of adversity is the phrase, never give up & always someone worse of so I cant agree Mr K.

Not at all mate, I know yer, I think, so you're far from matey :friends: damn ****** smileys keep moving positions again

will be keeping an eye on this one as i only have one key also!!!

so come on NHN, use the force and make it happen!!:meeting:

oh i forgot to add that them new keys are so sexy...............:hubbahubba:

(just for you wizbit!!)

lmao, thats called an English Ale stance, lol, cause in those days that all they had wasnt it, lol

god u think this is funny, you should of been on the vagcom one earlier, that was hilarious man

i want that one no wait i want that one awwwee yeah ano
little_britain_lou_andy_tribute.jpg

10317-car-chip-keys-key-programmer-auto-accessory-1.jpg

lol, you boys, screw the pedalling until tomorrow lads, up at 7.30 today, god thought I'd **** the bed, went to audi, dropped car of, got courteousy car, went to opticians, dropped of glasses, went to cafe bought audi guy breakfast since was doing me favour & free coding, bought receptionist milky bars, she's fairly fit, lol, then went back to audi, dropped of food.

Voila, one key coded in record time, so new shape key ordered, cut & coded to my car, so all happy.

Key cost £56 supplied cut & precoded from germany, then I got free coding at dealers given they owed me one, but I suspect £40-£50 for coding if that tbh, the 2 part key is 2-3 times cost fo these new ones, so for me its a no brainer.

Hence I dont take responsibility for your cars, but I took a chance & luck was on my side, I cant see any reason why you cant order as I did from the dealer, if they say its not for your car, just insist they order that key for your car, simple as that, same immo systems & should be same frequency for remote functions, check current against the D version I bought, should be 434mhz.

Happy man & good start to saturday morning, but wish these bleeding contacts would sort themselves out, got 2 pairs of contacts to try & new pair of glasses, all this until can have laser, fun, notttttt, I keep going to push glasses up but feel like a right numpty when I realise they're not there anymore, dohhhhh idiot

nice work nhn,

more money you have saved me.......or have you made me spend some i wasnt going to !?

top job m8!!!:applaus:

You should know by now that us AS members like spending eachothers money, lol.

Its funny cause I bought 2 keys on ebay back when I had my S4 that were the newer style, took them to audi & they were able to code them, this was on an S4 03 avant, but when I did same on my 8P, they couldnt code, it was then my journey that started a year or so ago to find out why, it would seem the later newer cars like the 8P had immo chips that were once only programmeable, so that would explain that, I would say given my experience that the B6/B7 can do 2 things, 1st reuse keys but have to match specifically for the A4 & 2nd that you could probably order the newer keys from audi as I did given pretty much same systems, but given if you order & they find an issue audi germany would throw it back, its at your risk but tbh I reckon B6/7 are same tbh. Like I said I can only tell you of what I've done & know, so upto you if you want to try on the A4 mate, but I cant see why not to give a go given it worked for me.

Nah I cant do them tbh as it requires vin encoded chips from what I have been told & tbh for what it costs from audi I'd rather they did it, you can code keys with skc but the issue could arise of it needs vin & also branding eg. audi on the chip from what I've been told.

Note though, newer style keys as per image are different for 8P & B7 & maybe others, make sure you get the correct keys with correct part numbers & frequencies to match your cars remote locking etc, they're different I can assure you even if they look the same.

How would one know what frequency their key is?

I have an 03-05 plate and only one key. So I really need a spare and the newer style is a bonus.

What exactly do I need to do?

Cheers, Dom.