SQ5 034 Motorsport ARB (Rear Anti-Roll Bar)

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Remembering what an astonishing difference an 034 Motorsport ARB (Rear Anti-Roll Bar) made to our 8P RS3 (https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/034-motorsport-arb-rear-anti-roll-bar.287690/ ) I've ordered the same (Awesome GTI) 034 Motorsport ARB for our 2016 SQ5.

For many years and with regret I ignored them 8P RS3 owners that had made the swap 034 ARB swap earlier and now fully appreciate its effectiveness on the 'twisty stuff' and so here I am 18-months on with another 034 Motorsport ARB on order.

Now, I don't need the SQ5 to be any faster, it's fast enough, thank you; but quicker/sharper into and out of roundabouts and all of the other twisty bits is what I'm after.

Overall, I/we love this 2016 SQ5 machine but it is getting time to tweak/play.

Feedback later when fitted... :racer:

Last edited:
Reactions: Keef, -Ju- and paul wev
Have you got this yet John?
Interested to hear the results as it'll be on the to do list should I keep the SQ5.
The Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks have made a massive difference to body roll, one of these would compliment them.:icon thumright:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Interested to hear the results as it'll be on the to do list should I keep the SQ5.
The Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks have made a massive difference to body roll, one of these would compliment them.:icon thumright:

No not yet, Ju, a 'stock' item they need to order, lol.

For sure the 034 arb made/makes a huge difference to the RS3 - more 'pointy' at the front end and no detriment to ride - and so, with all the other exciting stuff we don't do, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'll let you know as and when...

PS: have to tried a RSQ3 yet? Cannot wait to hear the comparison, though much depends on how and where you drive but for us the/our SQ5 does everything we need; our other two would go first and that's for sure...

:racer:

No not yet, Ju, a 'stock' item they need to order, lol.

For sure it made/makes a huge difference to the RS3 - more 'pointy' at the front end and no detriment to ride - and so, with all the other exciting stuff we don't do, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'll let you know as and when...

PS: have to tried a RSQ3 yet? Cannot wait to hear the comparison, though much depends on how and where you drive but for us the/our SQ5 does everything we need; our other two would go first and that's for sure...

I had the 034 rear arb on the S3 8V so I know the benefits on the hatchback chassis.
No not been out in an RSQ3 yet.
I'm being ultra picky as I've decided it would have to be a performance model AND have the right spec or the SQ5 is staying. It's a downgrade in a lot of ways from the Q5 chassis so I want to make sure every box is ticked before I even contemplate a test drive.
There is a nice daytona one on Autotrader but its a private sale and slightly up on miles.
I still like the SQ5 and it's a flying machine since I cleaned that valve in the intake, I just wish it had a bit more steering feel when pushing on.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I had the 034 rear arb on the S3 8V so I know the benefits on the hatchback chassis.
I'm being ultra picky as I've decided it would have to be a performance model AND have the right spec or the SQ5 is staying. It's a downgrade in a lot of ways from the Q5 chassis so I want to make sure every box is ticked before I even contemplate a test drive.
There is a nice daytona one on Autotrader but its a private sale and slightly up on miles.
I still like the SQ5 and it's a flying machine since I cleaned that valve in the intake, I just wish it had a bit more steering feel when pushing on.

"I just wish it (the SQ5) had a bit more steering feel when pushing on."

Yep! The RS3 has that especially with the 034 arb and 255/30 MPSS front end rubber, hopefully the SQ5 will feel similar - or maybe I'd best start slowing down some... :sadlike:

For sure I don't see what you'll gain but you do need to go experience; for us both the TT and RS3 are on 1000 miles/year insurance and in the last few years neither has seen 500 let alone 1000 and I don't see that changing 5-pot RS3 or not. :racer:

Ju, have you viewed?:

I may (am) the wrong side of 70 (and NOT mph) but for sure I get it... :racer:

At looooooooooooooong last the 034 ARB has landed:
SQ5 ARB 0

SQ5 ARB 1

SQ5 ARB 2

The spanners are a-twitching.... :racer:

Reactions: -Ju- and paul wev
Damn you John, it even looks lush in the box lol.
There must be a better place to order it from?

Damn you John, it even looks lush in the box lol.
There must be a better place to order it from?

I would think but it's here now so just looking for the opportunity to fit; problem being unlike the TT and or RS3 this darn SQ5 doesn't fit the garage so looking at weather slot

Reactions: paul wev
All fitted, now to evaluate:

SQ5 ARB x 2

SQ5 034 ARB

SQ5 034 ARB mount

All good, love it. Does exactly that I'd hoped for. The back-end feels tighter but supple over the bumps and for me improves the ride by reducing the rear wheel deviations - as it did with our RS3.

As for the steering, oh yes, love it!

Evaluation run: home to Stafford over Cannock Chase Camp road/A34 and then to Uttoxeter (A518) and back via Abbots Bromley/Blythfield dam (B5013) to Rugeley and then (A518) home provide all of the road conditions I was after to explore turn-in and power through tight and twisting and undulating roads and bends.

This 75-year old is as happy as a Staffordshire bull terrier on a warm sofa having a cuddle...

Last edited:
But did you manage any oversteer moments? Is the question?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But did you manage any oversteer moments? Is the question?

A sensation of one, once, yes; but on a sharp-turning, off-camber, dropping-away, blind bend; and I was most likely/probably/certainly in excess of the 'then' speed limit and had already turned a blind-eye to the bend 'WARNING' sign, tsk! But it was quickly sensed and easily sorted - and I was/am mega impressed.

Or, thinking about it, Paul; maybe and more likely, I just 'over-steered' into it and had to correct!

And it is set on MAX stiffness for now. :racer:

PS: I reckon the weight of this bar is 3 x that of the OEM original, it may be only a tad larger in diameter but for sure it has a hugely increased (tube) wall thickness. Should have weighed 'em both, I know this.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on one of these John!
So in anticipation of its arrival, hopefully this week, have you settled on the soft or hard setting?

So in anticipation of its arrival, hopefully this week, have you settled on the soft or hard setting?

Hard, Ju, no point going soft - and still loving the bar, it's good :racer:

So this weekend, Ju? Has the 034 ARB beauty arrived? Looking forward to reading your review. :racer:

Was supposed to be here yesterday John and I had a nice early finish laid on to get it fitted. However its been delayed getting through the channel tunnel, even though I was under the impression it was coming from Manchester!

Was supposed to be here yesterday John and I had a nice early finish laid on to get it fitted. However its been delayed getting through the channel tunnel, even though I was under the impression it was coming from Manchester!

Tsk, seems the same as my own experience, see #3 above. It WILL be worth the wait though, of that I am 100% sure :superman:

I asked them before I bought it if it was in stock or special order and they had 3 in stock. What they didn't say is that was in their depot in Berlin and not Manchester!
Its been showing all week as delivered by Friday so was confident until yesterday morning :grumpy:

I asked them before I bought it if it was in stock or special order and they had 3 in stock. What they didn't say is that was in their depot in Berlin and not Manchester!
Its been showing all week as delivered by Friday so was confident until yesterday morning :grumpy:

The old ones are the best, Ju, gotta give 'em credit for that one...
6.gif

Hi, Does anyone know if the standard SQ5 ARB's are thicker than the 2.0tdi versions? just wondering if it could be a cost effective upgrade for models that don't quite have the SQ5 power punch! :grinning:

I can't see it being any different tbh, the SQ5 isn't the best handling when standard through the bends so I wouldn't think it would be a worthwhile upgrade if it is different.
I have a new 034 arb sat at home that may not be going on now if your interested

Hi, Does anyone know if the standard SQ5 ARB's are thicker than the 2.0tdi versions? just wondering if it could be a cost effective upgrade for models that don't quite have the SQ5 power punch! :grinning:

There are two rear anti-roll bars listed for the 2016 Q5: 4G0511301G @ 19.6mm dia and for the SQ5 8R0511305Q @ 22.5mm dia

See: https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+q5/aq5/2016-751/5/511-511005/ and item #14

The 034 ARB is 23.8mm dia but judging by it's weight at seemingly twice that of the OEM 8R0511305Q ARB then I guess the tube wall thickness is far greater and for sure is damn effective :racer:

PS: my 8R0511305Q is sat in my loft and I don't see it being refitted...

I can't see it being any different tbh, the SQ5 isn't the best handling when standard through the bends so I wouldn't think it would be a worthwhile upgrade if it is different.
I have a new 034 arb sat at home that may not be going on now if your interested

Ahem! "that may not be going on now"
5211.gif

I maybe interested?

Seen something green with an RS badge:whistle2:

:racer::yahoo::superman:
4721.gif

Mega happy Ju as I thought there may be other reasons.

Hopefully the change will be successful, otherwise these are always available on eBay:

RS badge

Last edited:
Its definitely not definite yet John as I need to get my head into it properly and get the right deal.
Very tempted though!

Its definitely not definite yet John as I need to get my head into it properly and get the right deal.
Very tempted though!

Unless it has a 4.0-litre TFSI twin-turbo V8 lump I think you'll overall/everyday motoring be disappointed, and that includes a 5-pot, but you know this already. Wishing you the time and 'availability' to choose. Each to their own and for sure what works for one doesn't work for all.

PM to follow...

the SQ5 isn't the best handling when standard through the bends/QUOTE]

Actually I find the SQ5 VERY chuckable and great fun.

Takes more effort/input than out TT and/or RS3 but overall I have ZERO complaint.

In fact, dare I say this, I love 'OUR' SQ5.

The 034 ARB has made our SQ5 more predictable i.e.' it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted! But that maybe just me, and maybe it's just the way I drive - and that's no negative comment on anyone else's driving style. But for me the 2016 SQ5/my SQ5/OUR SQ5 is more enjoyably challenging over the cars I/we already own, and/or any of the others I/we have considered purchasing/owning. SAD, I know.

Doesn't come close to an Elan mind, but then that didn't have 4-doors and/or 4-wheel drive, tsk.

But 'OUR' SQ5' is today 'OUR' preferred machine of choice - until I/we spot something else, of course, and I/we have looked others but generally hate their interiors and that after all is where I/we spend most of 'OUR' time while driving

Actually, I find the/my/our 2016 SQ5 VERY chuckable and great fun.

Takes more effort/input than out TT and/or RS3 but overall I have ZERO complaint.

In fact, dare I say this; it is more on-the-road FUN than both and I love 'OUR' SQ5.

The 034 ARB has made our SQ5 more predictable i.e.' it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted! However, that maybe just me, and maybe it is just the way I drive - and that is no negative comment on anyone else's driving style. But for me the 2016 SQ5/my SQ5/OUR SQ5 is more enjoyably challenging over the cars I/we already own, and/or any of the others I/we have considered purchasing/owning. SAD, I know.

Does not come close to a Lotus Elan (37-years of ownership) mind, but then that did not have 4-doors and/or 4-wheel drive, tsk.

But 'OUR' SQ5' is today 'OUR' preferred machine of choice - until I/we spot something else, of course, and I/we have looked others but generally hate their interiors and that after all is where I/we spend most of 'OUR' time while driving

Reactions: gratifi.me
I maybe interested?

I have a set of 034 ARB destructions available if you need, Paul, took some 120-minutes for me to fit so NO worries, lol :thumbs up:

Actually, I find the/my/our 2016 SQ5 VERY chuckable and great fun.

In fact, dare I say this; it is more on-the-road FUN than both and I love 'OUR' SQ5.

The 034 ARB has made our SQ5 more predictable i.e.' it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted! However, that maybe just me, and maybe it is just the way I drive - and that is no negative comment on anyone else's driving style. But for me the 2016 SQ5/my SQ5/OUR SQ5 is more enjoyably challenging over the cars I/we already own, and/or any of the others I/we have considered purchasing/owning. SAD, I know.

Does not come close to a Lotus Elan (37-years of ownership) mind, but then that did not have 4-doors and/or 4-wheel drive, tsk.

Hi 45bvtc,

I am so glad to have found your feedback on the ARB upgrade (whilst searching Google).

I'm not an SQ5 owner (yet), but am working towards becoming one, perhaps next year (fingers crossed).

I've previously owned a 300hp classic Scooby WRX and a remapped Bora PD150 Sport which was surprisingly torquey (enough to play with an RS6), but I'm older now, have kids and find myself looking at practicality and frugality. Having invested in our business and particularly my van, the car desires suffered and I find myself in a 105hp Passat B6 TDI, which is actually a good practical and very economical car, with surprising levels of grip as I recently discovered on twisty mountain roads in southern Spain.

BUT... I yearn for that raw Scooby launch capability and the effortless torquey pulling power of my Bora - hence my interest in the SQ5. My only real concern was regarding it's handling capability when pushing on (note that Scooby sat lower and weighed in at only 1200kg). So would a heavy SUV really delight as much??? Hence my search for "handling" upgrades.

Your feedback here has allayed my concerns somewhat.. not that without it I'd rule out the SQ5, but it certainly has beefed up my interest. Particularly when you state.. "it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted!". I'm not so much into playfulness - I want a car that sees a corner and tackles it with confidence inspiring zero-drama ease.

So would you say that your SQ5 is kinda "pointy" or "direct" when facing twisty roads.. and does it corner flat (or flatter) with the ARB? Are your opinions of the ARB the same now that you've had a little more time behind the wheel?

I dream of an RSQ8, but that's unlikely to happen. The SQ5 seems to tick all the boxes in terms of performance, practicality and economy (when driven appropriately) and would be within my reach budget-wise. I know it's a different class of car, but I have extremely fond memories of my Scooby's fast launches, huge AWD grip and deep burbly soundtrack. I know the SQ5 is fast and I know how it sounds.. but if you tell me an SQ5/your SQ5 (with ARB) can truly delight in the twisties, then I'm sold.

In any case, thanks for sharing you findings.

If you're concerned about the handling it may be worth checking out the 'plus' models which came out towards the end of 2015. Used prices don't seem to differ much from other models but they've got a bit of extra kit as standard including a sports diff. It's a great performance and safety feature which, IME, totally eliminates understeer.

Hi 45bvtc,

I am so glad to have found your feedback on the ARB upgrade (whilst searching Google).

I'm not an SQ5 owner (yet), but am working towards becoming one, perhaps next year (fingers crossed).

I've previously owned a 300hp classic Scooby WRX and a remapped Bora PD150 Sport which was surprisingly torquey (enough to play with an RS6), but I'm older now, have kids and find myself looking at practicality and frugality. Having invested in our business and particularly my van, the car desires suffered and I find myself in a 105hp Passat B6 TDI, which is actually a good practical and very economical car, with surprising levels of grip as I recently discovered on twisty mountain roads in southern Spain.

BUT... I yearn for that raw Scooby launch capability and the effortless torquey pulling power of my Bora - hence my interest in the SQ5. My only real concern was regarding it's handling capability when pushing on (note that Scooby sat lower and weighed in at only 1200kg). So would a heavy SUV really delight as much??? Hence my search for "handling" upgrades.

Your feedback here has allayed my concerns somewhat.. not that without it I'd rule out the SQ5, but it certainly has beefed up my interest. Particularly when you state.. "it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted!". I'm not so much into playfulness - I want a car that sees a corner and tackles it with confidence inspiring zero-drama ease.

So would you say that your SQ5 is kinda "pointy" or "direct" when facing twisty roads.. and does it corner flat (or flatter) with the ARB? Are your opinions of the ARB the same now that you've had a little more time behind the wheel?

I dream of an RSQ8, but that's unlikely to happen. The SQ5 seems to tick all the boxes in terms of performance, practicality and economy (when driven appropriately) and would be within my reach budget-wise. I know it's a different class of car, but I have extremely fond memories of my Scooby's fast launches, huge AWD grip and deep burbly soundtrack. I know the SQ5 is fast and I know how it sounds.. but if you tell me an SQ5/your SQ5 (with ARB) can truly delight in the twisties, then I'm sold.

In any case, thanks for sharing you findings.

I always thought the 2016 SQ5 was pretty darn good anyway but wanted a tad more. I had fitted an 034 to our 2011 8P RS3 back in 2016 and always regretted waiting 5-years to do so as the 034 provided more than I thought possible. My car ownership from the late 60's to 2006 were Lotus, Elan Sprint (45bvtc) and +2S130/5 and or Europa Twin Cam (MG Metro Turbo for her and for 17-years) and so my interest in cars was always 'agility/handling/braking' rather than 'straight-line speed'.

That I was struck by the 2015/16 SQ5 is well documented here on ASN and I can truly say my thoughts of an RS7/RS5 etc were truly dashed that day, see: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...-and-counting-down-to-a-place-near-me.386559/

It's all in there...

So, thoughts: with STD suspension springs and shock-absorbers, using 21-inch summer rims and 20-inch winters an 034 for our SQ5 was an obvious choice. Set up 'Max' (there are two settings) the difference was immediate and amazingly good and yes I can truthfully repeat "it follows it's 'nose' more and the back end is 'well' planted!"

I would therefore say that SQ5 now is more 'direct' than 'pointy' on twisty roads and for sure more 'chuckable' on the twisty stuff and for sure cornering 'flatter'.

And YES, my opinions are exactly the same, love it.

To add, on Monday last we took our RS3 (034 equipped) from Hednesford to Uttoxeter via Rugeley using the B5013 - it gets more interesting on the Uttoxeter side of the Blithfield Reservoir. OK, so the weight/mass of the RS3 is way lower than that of the SQ5 -as shown below; and for sure we love our 8P RS3 but jumping back into our SQ5 I was laughing, and that's me fast approaching 76-years of age.

RS3  SQ5

And while we've no intention of selling our RS3 and/or TT there's nothing in the Audi stable that I'd swap our SQ5 for: we are both very, very content with our 2016 SQ5

Hope this helps

PS: If I didn't have the 8P RS3 I might be tempted with an RSQ3 but don't tell Ju and our other ASN RSQ3 owner members here, lol - each to their own... :racer:

Reactions: gratifi.me and SteveMcB

PS: If I didn't have the 8P RS3 I might be tempted with an RSQ3 but don't tell Ju and our other ASN RSQ3 owner members here, lol - each to their own... :racer:
Haha John. Been out in the RSQ3 this morning over the tops above Queensbury and I'll be honest.......its brilliant.
Its great in comfort and auto but pop it into dynamic, the exhaust comes to life, the suspension stiffens up and it really steps up into another level that the SQ5 could never reach.
Depends what you want from a car though as the RSQ3 is just more focused but then not as refined as an SQ5

Haha John. Been out in the RSQ3 this morning over the tops above Queensbury and I'll be honest.......its brilliant.
Its great in comfort and auto but pop it into dynamic, the exhaust comes to life, the suspension stiffens up and it really steps up into another level that the SQ5 could never reach.
Depends what you want from a car though as the RSQ3 is just more focused but then not as refined as an SQ5

Yep!!!! I'm 100% with that!!! We're fortunate, in some ways, tsk, to have both our 8P RS3 and 8R SQ5 to experience and enjoy and deciding on which is best depends on use and I'm darn sure that's what you are saying, Ju.

I've a long standing agreement with our 8V RS3 owning neighbour that should he or I win on the Lottery or whatever than there's a 75 ft garage going between his house and mine and it'll be full of AUDI's - and it will happen, maybe double decked with a lift too, lol :thumbs up:

Just mega happy that you are where you're at, enjoy

Hope Helen is happy too, makes a nice car even more complete
5187.gif

Reactions: -Ju-
Helens happy if I'm happy......its the way she's always been!
She doesn't drive or go out much either so she see's it as irrelevant.
I dont regret buying the SQ5 for one minute and I'd keep it if I won the lottery and had the huge garage too lol.
Just a shame I didn't manage to get the 034 arb fitted to it

Unfortunate, for me, that you didn't evaluate the 034 ARB on your SQ5 mind, so I guess that invitation for you to evaluate BLUEY AND now SQUIFFY (big BLUEY) too still stands :racer: