04 A4 1.8T Quattro dies

Karl90

Reaction score
Hi, the past few weeks iv have been having proublems with my car. First it all started with on day I was driving and at a stop light and when I went to go it sputtered and the ECP light came on and idled higher than normal. **** the car of at my destination came back out, went to start it and didn't start, cranked over like it wanted to, let sit for about 5 min fired right up like nothing happened and not lights on dashboard came back up. Drove it home just fine. A few days later it did the same thing but this time the when I **** it off it started right back up no lights on dashboard again. Drove fine for another week. Now today I drove it and was running fine and when I was in the parking lot at work with the car running, it just shut off, no warning lights nothing came up, when the to try to start it back up and didn't start but was cranking over like it wanted to, let it sit for a few min and started right and still no warning lights on dashboard. The only thing was when the car shut off, aka stopped running, that the battery light came on, I just put a new battery in, just a few days before all these problems started. So when I was done with work started up just fine drove home about 10 min away when I got home I just let the car run to see if it would do it again and it did after about 10 of just sitting as it ran, again I let it sit for about 2 min and started right back up no warning light on dashboard at all. The other day I haved brought it to the local Auto parts store but no codes were saved to let me know what went wrong. Pleas help with any suggestions to what it might be!! Car has 120k and when I bought it about 6 months ago I had taken it to the Audi Dealership and had about 1500$ of repairs to it. I'm just at a loss as to what it might be.

Something very similar happened to my B6 1.8t quattro, it turned out to be a very small CCV valve situated under the inlet manifold that had failed and was letting in air, hope this helps

Reactions: Karl90
Yes I cleaned them with steel wool before I put the new battery in, and they are snug on there Dan, thanks for the reply.

I'm going to be taking it in to my local repair shop that deals with forine cars, they have a VAG COM that they will be hooking it up to to see if they can get a reading when I shuts off. Dan was it hard to fix the CCV valve, and it it somthing I can look at on my own?

List of parts I had repaired on car when I bought it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 115
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
The crank angle sensor is a common failure, intermittently at first, then becoming progressively worse, then hard starts and finally complete failure, buy a new one and replace it, simple enough.