04 Audi 1.8T Flooding

Alvin Kaufmann

Reaction score
Hi folks have a 2004 audi 1.8T. A month ago the check engine light came on. I didn't get to the shop to check the code. The next day I went out to start it. It wouldn't start. Crank but wouldn't fire. After getting it to the dealership. The timing was fine, they found fuel in the oil and we ended up changing the plugs. It was badly flooded. We just got it back took two road trips with it and then went to the grocery store this morning and it did the same thing without the check engine light. It does fire but dies right away. 100% its flooding again.

1) Any tips or tricks to get it going ?
2) what is causing this?

I live in Canada so its cold -9F without windchill

Get the codes read, I’m thinking it’s the crank angle sensor, this usually causes hard starts intermittently then progresses to non start, it’s a cheap and easy part to replace.
Repeated starting attempts would cause the overfuelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did have the codes read you think the dealer would have picked that up?

It doesn’t always log a code.

That’s the joys of an intermittent fault, sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not. Next time it cranks but doesn’t fire, watch the Rev counter, if the needle doesn’t move then that confirms the crank angle sensor/ engine speed sensor. Cam sensor failure cuts the fuelling off so that can be dismissed.

Last edited:
Found this in another forum think this would get it started or any side effects. I did put it to the floor and it kept it running at a very low RPM for awhile but it would continue past that =(. I have a 74 chev thats more reliable a little disappointed in the Audi right now =)

So I thought I would share a tip for solving this frustrating little no-starty problem:

1) Remove the fuel pumpfuse
2) Crank the car until all that boat load of fuel inside the cylinders gets burned off by the spark plugs. The engine should fire up a bit and then stutter and stop.
3) Replace the fuel pumpfuse.
4) Crank the car. The engine should start normally now.

Found this in another forum think this would get it started or any side effects. I did put it to the floor and it kept it running at a very low RPM for awhile but it would continue past that =(. I have a 74 chev thats more reliable a little disappointed in the Audi right now =)

So I thought I would share a tip for solving this frustrating little no-starty problem:

1) Remove the fuel pumpfuse
2) Crank the car until all that boat load of fuel inside the cylinders gets burned off by the spark plugs. The engine should fire up a bit and then stutter and stop.
3) Replace the fuel pumpfuse.
4) Crank the car. The engine should start normally now.

The coolant temperature sensor could have failed, reporting a cold engine when it’s hot would result in overfuelling.
Sounds more likely, it’s difficult to diagnose without the codes.
Overfuelling can be caused by coolant temperature sensor, mass air sensor or the 02 sensor.
I hope this helps you out.

just looking at my past bill coolant temp sensor was replaced. Would there be a reason why it would go again?

Unlikely, look at the other components mentioned. Would be helpful if you can get it scanned, then clear the codes and see which ones come back.