1.4 petrol or 1.6 diesel

quattrogone

Quattro Back!
Reaction score
Hi, I've had pretty much most of Audi's range of models at some point over the last 20+ years but not an A1
To keep it brief the situation is that my 19yo daughter is buying her first car, she going to be in for around 5k on a loan so want to try an eliminate as many potential problems as possible lol.

2 choices, both around the 6/6.5k price.
1. 2013 1.4 sport petrol 82k miles and very tidy
2. 2011 1.6tdi s-line 68k miles also tidy and well spec'd
I know all the differences with trim levels e.t.c. she's already driven a 13plate 1.4 with 6 speed box and got on well with it.
The tdi is advertised as having just had 4 new injectors, I can't seem to find info on what variant of engine the 2011 would have, is it CR? If so aren't these a bit of a mare?
I know the 1.4 petrol can have turbo issues but not overly common apparently.
Anyone on here had any real world experiences with either one or maybe both?
Thanks in advance to anyone that has the time to impart any knowledge.
Darren

My opinion is go with the petrol.
the government is heavily taxing diesels and forcing it out especially after diesel gate. being a 2011 it won’t be euro 6 compliant and with more and more cities having low emission zones these non euro 6 cars will be fined or charged a fortune to enter.

Reactions: JohnM100
What will be her yearly milage? - if below 15000 km than choose petrol, if above than diesel.
Other than that - both engines reasonably reliable if maintenance was carried out in time.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Her mileage will probably be around the 10-12k per year, and mostly a/b roads.
I was leaning more towards the petrol for that reason, also like you say the government is going to start hammering diesel driver's, just like they told everyone 20 years ago to get in one now they will start forcing everyone out of one...
It's too easy to get drawn into the wrong choice when it's got all the kit and looks nicer too.

Her mileage will probably be around the 10-12k per year, and mostly a/b roads.
I was leaning more towards the petrol for that reason, also like you say the government is going to start hammering diesel driver's, just like they told everyone 20 years ago to get in one now they will start forcing everyone out of one...
It's too easy to get drawn into the wrong choice when it's got all the kit and looks nicer too.
Government already hammering diesels with duties and high benefit in kind for company car drivers. Only electric is really getting a break but that will all change when the national grid struggles to charge all these electric vehicles the government is pushing us to buy.

Thanks for the input people's, petrol is a go go. Just to curb my enthusiasm and not get her into an S1 or the super rare quattro version :tearsofjoy:

Thanks for the input people's, petrol is a go go. Just to curb my enthusiasm and not get her into an S1 or the super rare quattro version :tearsofjoy:
Thought the s1 was the only Quattro version
Only ever seen 1 around, definitely rare.
Insurance won’t be cheap for 19 year old.

Yeah quattro was a special with only 7 in the country apparently, then they did the S1 which was only 2wd I could be wrong though!

Yeah quattro was a special with only 7 in the country apparently, then they did the S1 which was only 2wd I could be wrong though!
S1 was a Quattro using haldex. Similar to the s3 setup if not the same. Think it was 220 or 240bhp.
don’t think Audi has made an s/rs car that wasn’t Quattro.

Ahh right so not proper quattro then :tearsofjoy: I was only joking really about the S1, my daughter bless her would probably put it straight through a hedge :blink:

• Haha
Reactions: AlS3BE
Looks like I've found a bang tidy 1.4tfsi sport 2011 literally just 8min drive from where we live, it's with a dealer as well so have that back up if anything goes wrong within the first 6 months :icon thumright:

Reactions: Sibmets and AlS3BE