Facelift 1.4 TFSI CoD (150) and 2 cylinder mode & VC

Ayy3

Reaction score
Hi all, since the first initial test drive at the dealer ship I have yet to ever see "2 cylinder mode" come back up on the virtual cockpit...

Had the car about 2 weeks now and simply never ever seen it come back up, I've been driving like a nanny and tried all drive select modes but doesn't seem to want to show up again :blink:

Tried every possible view/screen on the VC too showing MPG etc still can't get it to show up again like it did on the test drive...

Do you need extremely specific circumstances for it to show up? any help would be appreciated :thumbs up:

Just drive carefully and it will kick in. Normally flat or downhill.
It only shows up on one of the menus, can’t remember which but it’s in the manual or someone will jump in and tell you.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it because it makes little or no difference to anything really, and you can’t normally feel or hear it.

I used to have that menu option up when I first had the car but haven’t looked at it for years. Prefer the digital speedo option.

Without going out to look I can't remember exactly but if you put the mpg in the extra info box then the message about it being in two cyclinder mode on the other screen doesn't show any more. But if you have the extra MPG display then if the bar is fully green it's in 2 cylinder mode so you can still tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without going out to look I can't remember exactly but if you put the mpg in the extra info box then the message about it being in two cyclinder mode on the other screen doesn't show any more. But if you have the extra MPG display then if the bar is fully green it's in 2 cylinder mode so you can still tell.

Thank you so much, I had enabled the extra MPG info in the little window and it was driving me insane what I had done differently. Cool to know the 2 cylinder mode was still kicking in then cause i did see the bar go green a lot :racer:

cheers boys

Reactions: B33r
Same question I had a few days ago in this forum on my Q2 happens exactly the same the 2 cylinder message has not showed up more.. .

I had the mpg bars as a extra info box in one of the dials.. not sure if that will b the reason..

Nevertheless the bar going green is just the battery regeneration nothing to be with the 2 cylinder mode.. this should display in the middle of the vc and saying ‘2 cylinder mode’... so mistery continues on why message doesn’t appear more even driving very carefully.
Will try tomorrow in the motorway with the cruise control on and doing 60mph in 6th see if will appear the message while I have in the middle of the vc the mpg info..

Same question I had a few days ago in this forum on my Q2 happens exactly the same the 2 cylinder message has not showed up more.. .

I had the mpg bars as a extra info box in one of the dials.. not sure if that will b the reason..

Nevertheless the bar going green is just the battery regeneration nothing to be with the 2 cylinder mode.. this should display in the middle of the vc and saying ‘2 cylinder mode’... so mistery continues on why message doesn’t appear more even driving very carefully.
Will try tomorrow in the motorway with the cruise control on and doing 60mph in 6th see if will appear the message while I have in the middle of the vc the mpg info..

I think when the bar goes to the very end (and just the last section is green) that's battery regen (and all 4 cylinders still active). When the whole bar is green then it's in 2 cyclinder mode. If the bar is fully green and also goes to very end then it's both battery regen and 2 cyclinder mode. That last scenario is most likely to happen if it was already in 2 cylinder mode and you started going downhill and had cruise control on.

Happy to be corrected if anyone can find literature that proves otherwise but the sections of my regular journey where I used to see the '2 cylinder mode' message (when I had the MPG display off) the bar now goes fully green in exactly the same places now I have the MPG display turned on (and don't see the written message any more).

Try removing the MPG display, I'm pretty certain you'll then start seeing the written message again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raul_sbd
When you say to remove the mpg display you are referring to the one in the middle between the 2 clocks on the VC showing just all the mpg data in numbers or the one you can set as extra inside of one of the clocks were indeed shows the current mpg with the green bar?

Thanks

When you say to remove the mpg display you are referring to the one in the middle between the 2 clocks on the VC showing just all the mpg data in numbers or the one you can set as extra inside of one of the clocks were indeed shows the current mpg with the green bar?

Thanks

Yeh the extra one, the bar display. Don't think you can remove the ones in the middle.

Yeh the extra one, the bar display. Don't think you can remove the ones in the middle.

Ah ok.. I will try tomorrow.. and then in the middle doesn’t matter what you set? Clock, mpg 1 or total mpg, radio... as I think I recall someone saying if you set the navigation in the middle between the clocks the 2 cylinder message will not appear neither.. am I correct?

Ah ok.. I will try tomorrow.. and then in the middle doesn’t matter what you set? Clock, mpg 1 or total mpg, radio... as I think I recall someone saying if you set the navigation in the middle between the clocks the 2 cylinder message will not appear neither.. am I correct?

Yeh, you won’t see the message when on the media, phone or sat nav tabs. I think it only shows on the MPG1 display.

But that's only if you don't have the extra mpg bar display enabled. You'll never see it then.

That's why I've now settled on having the extra bar in the middle of the rpm display, doesn't matter what I have in the middle then, can always see the current mpg and if its in 2 cylinder or not (if it's working as I think it is!)

Yeh, you won’t see the message when on the media, phone or sat nav tabs. I think it only shows on the MPG1 display.

But that's only if you don't have the extra mpg bar display enabled. You'll never see it then.

That's why I've now settled on having the extra bar in the middle of the rpm display, doesn't matter what I have in the middle then, can always see the current mpg and if its in 2 cylinder or not (if it's working as I think it is!)

Many thanks!! I will let you know tomorrow when I test!!

Had a look this morning, when you turn on the additional consumption display you lose the middle consumption display and it’s that one which displays the written ‘2 cylinder mode’ message.

All good now.. you were 100% right.. the extra consumption display off on the gauges and then set the middle display to display mpg bar and voila.. 2 cylinder in demand back to display.. although seeing this I prefer now have the extra display with the mpg bar and leave the middle for something else like the mpg displays where give u all details.

thank you so much

Reactions: B33r
All good now.. you were 100% right.. the extra consumption display off on the gauges and then set the middle display to display mpg bar and voila.. 2 cylinder in demand back to display.. although seeing this I prefer now have the extra display with the mpg bar and leave the middle for something else like the mpg displays where give u all details.

thank you so much

To give you an idea how well the COD works, I've even managed to get it when towing a caravan on the flat at about 55mph. I couldn't believe it.

Colin

Cool, glad all sorted, just looked back and yeh I responded on your thread also.

It took me ages to work out why I’d lost the message, it’s not very intuitive, it should either leave the one in middle when adding the ‘extra’ consumption display or make it obvious you are ‘moving’ the display. Don’t think it says anywhere in the manual about the different colours or states of the bar and what they mean either.

On a slightly different note, I wish we had a little more control over the COD, like a sensitivity option or a switch to disable it if you want like the start-stop. Both start-stop and COD seem to start working way too soon for my liking, surely can’t be good for the engine doing them when it’s still cold. Sensitivity would be useful as there is a few spots on my journey where it goes a tiny bit uphill and back down again, enough to cause it to switch back to 4 cylinder for a few seconds and then back to 2. I know it would be absolutely fine staying in 2 cylinder, even be fine if it lost a couple of mph to keep it in 2 cylinder mode on the slight incline.

Hopefully the engine is totally fine switching a lot between the two modes and it won’t cause any issues. Does anyone know if it’s always the same 2 cylinders it shuts down, or does it alternate with the other two? If it doesn’t then I guess it means 2 cylinders may wear ever so slightly quicker.

It always shuts down cylinders 2 & 3, which are the centre two and 2 strokes apart in firing order to keep things smooth.

COD has been in these engines since ~2013 and haven’t seen a single report of issues.

Good to know, cheers!

I guess in theory it could shut down 1&4 and everything would still be in balance?

But only running on 2 & 3 would focus heat in the centre and likely lead to a greater temperature gradient across the block.

Ah yeh true. What are the mechanics behind COD, how does it shut down the cylinder?