1.4 TFSI CoD spark plug torque setting

AJB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need to change my spark plugs soon, but don't know the correct torque setting. Does anybody have it?

It's a 2013 1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand (the 140 version) if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

IMG 0463

Reactions: AJB
So, quite a few years have passed, and I'll be needing to change the spark plugs again later this year. At some point since this thread, I saw another thread saying that Audi's spec was incorrect, and that NGK said it should be 20Nm ( Help please NGK Spark plugs torque ). I've also recently found a link to some SEAT workshop manual which seems to say 22Nm for the equivalent 1.4 engines.

I decided to try not to worry about the fact I'd done mine to 30Nm... Hopefully the threads will be ok and they'll come out ok.

But before doing them again, I'd like to get to the bottom of this. Does anyone have happen to have access to the current official Audi spec for the spark plug torque? (CPTA engine if that makes any difference, EA211, 1.4 CoD, built in 2013). Are Audi still saying 30Nm, or have they adopted NGK's 20Nm, or is the SEAT 22Nm now the official VW Group spec?

Thanks very much!

Good question. I went for the NGK figure of 20Nm as I fitted their plugs to a CPTA engine. I wasn't aware of the Audi figure. No problems so far. The torque seems fairly low, and I'd not worry about the 30Nm you've used previously as these plugs have a flat seat and a sealing washer which rarely if ever causes problems unless grossly overtightened. Spark plug removal problems tend to occur with taper seat plugs which are often and easily overtightened.

Good question. I went for the NGK figure of 20Nm as I fitted their plugs to a CPTA engine. I wasn't aware of the Audi figure. No problems so far. The torque seems fairly low, and I'd not worry about the 30Nm you've used previously as these plugs have a flat seat and a sealing washer which rarely if ever causes problems unless grossly overtightened. Spark plug removal problems tend to occur with taper seat plugs which are often and easily overtightened.
Thanks for the reassurance, and yes I expect they'll be just fine!
It'd be really interesting to know if Audi have corrected/changed their official figure, or if they're still claiming 30Nm. But either way I get the feeling that somewhere around 20 to 22Nm is probably a better bet.