1.4 TFSI engine jerks

unikarl

Reaction score
Has anyone else who is unfortunate enough to own the 1.4 TFSI experienced any engine running issues?

my car seems to deliver its power in an almost jerky motion until I get the revs above 3000.
It’s almost like the power delivery is stepped rather than smooth and progressive.
I have no engine management light and no faults stored in the ecu either.
If I’m the only one with this issue does anyone know a decent garage that has good knowledge on these engines?

thanks in advance

It’s a manual.
I only run it on E5. Costs more but worth it. I did try regular E10 just once and the jerking was still there anyway.

Last edited:
I’m having similar issues. It’s been running better since using injector cleaner and getting serviced but it’s still not right. Not sure if there is an injector issue, carbon build up on the inlet valves/sensor/whatever. Fuel economy not great either. At 74,000 miles now

My fuel economy seems down too.
My cars only at 30,000 miles which made me wonder if it needs a good clean out.
I might see if I can get some boost logs too as I’m not sure if maybe the turbo is playing up.
I just hate having to guess so much!

I used bg44k injection cleaner when I had jerkiness and tick over issues on Type R. That did the job

I’ll buy it and give it a go.
Thanks for the advice.

Tried running the bg44k through it but no difference.
Does anyone know if these cars have a diverter valve. Seem to remember my old 1.8t years ago had one that started to fail which gave similar issues.

I removed my MAP sensor and cleaned it with Contact Spray a few weeks ago. It wasn’t giving any codes and it probably wasn’t this however, it’s all running well now. Given its now winter and we are on E10 now, this is more likely what’s causing my 37MPG. When I had the stutter issue, I was only getting 31MPG.
Hope you get to the bottom of your issue.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I think this will be tomorrows job now!

just need to find the map sensor!

Really easy to find, you will see this on top of the Intake manifold when you remove the engine cover.

I’ve just found it. It doesn’t look right as it’s only clipped in but I guess that’s normal?
I bought a new one anyway and installed it so I’ll take it out later and see if there’s any difference.
Thanks for the advise

Sooo

the map sensor didn’t make any difference.
I have however found that at idle, the impeller on my turbo doesn’t spin. Does anyone know if it should? The turbo is tiny so plenty of air passes through (or I would think anyway) at idle.

Has anyone else who is unfortunate enough to own the 1.4 TFSI experienced any engine running issues?

my car seems to deliver its power in an almost jerky motion until I get the revs above 3000.
It’s almost like the power delivery is stepped rather than smooth and progressive.
I have no engine management light and no faults stored in the ecu either.
If I’m the only one with this issue does anyone know a decent garage that has good knowledge on these engines?

thanks in advance
Yeah, I made the misfortune of buying this too. Mine does it, usually worse when cold, but not 100% of the time. Thought I had cured it after fuel cleaner and new air filter. Seemed better for a bit, but back to jerking again. Pain in the ****.

If you ever get to the bottom of it, let me know.....

Well so far I can say that it’s isn’t….

the throttle position sensor
The inlet manifold
The map sensor
The spark plugs
The coil packs
Or anything like the air filter etc.

Next thing I’ll be trying will either be the turbo or some custom mapping.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I had the car scanned by hazzydayz and no faults came up. I bought a Bluetooth thingy and scanned the car myself a while after and I got a throttle position sensor fault which is why I changed that and the throttle body.
I have the boost gauge on the dash of my car and have noticed that the boost fluctuates a full throttle so I’m wondering if I have a weak valve somewhere or a dodgy turbo. My car is low mileage though so I’d hope not.

I might be totally off the scent here, but, other VAG cars have had a similar issue, I know some Audi & Skoda 1.4l engines were affected. The symptoms were jerkyness under power. I didn't follow it as it did not affect my car, but might be worth a trawl on the Skoda forum. Just an idea, hope it helps.

Mike

I might be totally off the scent here, but, other VAG cars have had a similar issue, I know some Audi & Skoda 1.4l engines were affected. The symptoms were jerkyness under power. I didn't follow it as it did not affect my car, but might be worth a trawl on the Skoda forum. Just an idea, hope it helps.

Mike
I’ll go have a look now. Thanks for the info

Mike
I had a 1.4 A3 and not once was it jerky, it was the 1.5 engine that was effected by this symptom https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/d...measures-planned-in-regards-to-15-tsi-issues/ https://autozilla.co.uk/volkswagen/vw-1-5-tsi-engine-problems-5-common-issues/ https://car-recalls.eu/official-vw-skoda-and-seat-recall-for-some-bouncing-1-5-tsi-engines/

So after almost 9 months of dead end repairs, annoyance and guesswork I’ve finally worked this one out.

before this car I had a mondeo which needed new injectors. I got them replaced under warranty but the car never drove right afterwards. This was through lockdown so it was a nightmare getting the car to the garage and whenever I did they always said it’s driven fine for them. Eventually I got so annoyed I decided that I would investigate myself until I’d figured it out. Turned out that a single digit had been inputted incorrectly from the injector code and the car was acting as though it didn’t know the new injectors were there. I put the correct disgust in, set the car to re learn and off I went on a test drive. To my amazement I’d sorted it. It drove perfectly and it had only cost me £16 for a 2 year forscan license to get it sorted. Of course, the garage said it wasn’t them and that was that but the main thing was it was sorted.

My A4 has been driving similar to how the mondeo did and again, no garage would acknowledge the fault and just said they found no codes. So last week I was on a mission again as I was about to sell the car as it really was doing my head in but didn’t really want the hassle. Remembering the mondeos issues I got a friend at a local garage to do a full reset/relearn on this car too as though I’d changed numerous engine components. He did and it instantly idled better. I took it for a drive and it seemed a lot better but due to london traffic I couldn’t test it much. Anyway, fast forward a few more days and a few more drives and the car is now judder/jerk and uneven acceleration free! It finally drives as it should again.
If anyone else gets these symptoms then I’d definitely suggest a re learn on the cars systems before anything else. As a double bonus, my fuel consumption has improved too.
Happy days!

Reactions: Jcbmally, MatthijsR, firebits and 2 others
Hey,
I just found your topic after our Q2 started having issues. juddery and under throttle it feels like you are driving over a line, sort of trrrt, trrrt, trrrt feeling and sound. (hope you recognise it). And it's driving me insane, used E5 fuel, injector cleaner in the tank and my next step is taking the injectors out. But I found you.

Just 1 question, how do I reset the engine or relearn? Do I need to go to a garage?

Reactions: David2018AudiQ2
I used a garage with a proper snap on scanner/programming tool.
The method listed above may be just as good though but I’ve never tried it.
I can safely say my car is still driving fine anyway.

Hey,
I just found your topic after our Q2 started having issues. juddery and under throttle it feels like you are driving over a line, sort of trrrt, trrrt, trrrt feeling and sound. (hope you recognise it). And it's driving me insane, used E5 fuel, injector cleaner in the tank and my next step is taking the injectors out. But I found you.

Just 1 question, how do I reset the engine or relearn? Do I need to go to a garage?
Hi. I have the similar issues with my 2018 Q2 1.4L auto transmission. Jerking at some point at slow speed, the whole car bucking back and forth until i take off very annoying. Also when i turn full lock on a slope the car jerking a lot. Did you get to fix it on yours? I changed my engine mount and transmission mount 3 weeks ago but still doing the same. Thanks