1.4 tfsi MAP error

Dave__B

Reaction score
Hi,
New user, so sorry if this should be in the A1 specific area, but figured this could come up on any model with a similar engine?

Can anyone help out with a P0106 OBD error? The story goes like this:
Car was running appeared fine most of the time, but started hiccuping when running at constant speeds e.g. on cruise control. A scan using a bluetooth dongle and 'Torque' came up with the P0108. Swapped out what I thought was the MAP sensor, only to still have the code, although car now running smoothly again.
Have since spotted 2 other MAP sensors, wondering how many there are on this engine? Did a bit of swapping of new/old sensors but still have the errors. Have also gained the EML and a P0113.
Car is a 12plate A1 1.4 tfsi 185.
Anyone had this before? Am i even looking in the right place?
Cheers all.
Dave

Don't know the engine much tbh, but map afaik should only be one on the intake, are you sure you're not mistaking boost sensor?

Sorry about the crazy font size above. No idea what i did there :)

You've got me wondering now, I may have made some assumptions early on, but isn't a boost sensor and MAP sensor the same thing? The sensor I have 2 of is Bosch 0 281 002 401, or VAG number 038 906 051C. One is in the pipe from the airfilter, the second is just before what i think is the throttle body. The 3rd sensor i saw hangs about in some narrow vacuum type piping to the left of the engine. I'm guessing thats not the one.
Cheers,
Dave

Mass air flow sensor is on the air filter pipe preboost, boost sensor which is post boost aka after turbo is before intake manifold throttle body, other one I'd have to check the engine in etka to see what its for.

Thanks for your help, it inspired me to have a proper hunt around the engine bay to see what i could figure out. As i had a look around, i found a 3rd sensor with the same part number. I'm guessing this is related to the twin charged nature - i.e there is 2 places where boost is potentially produced, so has a couple of extras :)
I also potentially found the issue.
IMG 20201117 144909

Question is, was this the original issue, or did i break it whilst fiddling around.

TBC.

Cheers,
Dave

That I doubt was your fault, those wires dont break that easily, so I suspect it's been there for a while, does the wire look new on the end or not so shiny due to open to elements & its a negative, ground so would affect the operation of whatever it's supplying & possibly your fault.

What's it plugged into, distance pic.

Not a great pic, I know. Its one of the three Bosch/VAG 038 906 051C sensors. Its unplugged for the pic, in an awkward position under the intake pipe but is the one pre-throttle body. Could explain the error going from intermittent to permanent with EML on if it went from hanging on by the insulation to fully separated.
Due to weather and bad light I've not had a change to check if its tarnished on the end, but will when i get the chance. I suspect you are right. I've actually found a number of unclipped pipes etc while looking around, i'm guessing from when it had a new short engine when it was about 6 months old and things weren't put back so well. I'm guessing the local garage Audi technicians aren't as fastidious as the factory. I'm blaming them for damaging it :)

Found a replacement plug and am confident enough with electronics etc to replace it myself when it turns up.
Cheers,
Dave