1.4TFSI CoD Activation dip?

henkkeumus

Dutch Retrofitfanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,

After reading into multiple forums and topics about the CoD engines I decided to open up my own topic since my "problems" didnt meet the ones I've read about online.
So I'm coming of an A3 8L and later had some A3 8P's in my posessions and now made the step to the 8V. The step from 8P to 8V is a big one in terms of technology since the 8V is packed full of new features that the 8P simply doesn't have.

So I got a good deal on a 1.4TFSI CoD occasion the other day and bought it. I scanned it with VCDS, no engine faults coming up so I was quite pleased with the new car looks and drivability. However, in the first week or so I noticed the car dipping sometimes. Especially when I drove a while and kept it around 2000RPM and then wanted to speed to overtake a car or something. The first few times I was like, mmh, maybe this happens once but since it was happening more and more I got back to the garage it sold me and let them have a closer look.

3 days later they ringed me up and told me they have solved the issue. When I asked him about it they told me they didnt saw any errorcode and just cleaned the EGR valve. Made a testdrive and didn't had the car dip in any way. Full of good hope I stepped in and for half a week it seemed to work untill a few days ago. It dipped for just a split second and then goes it way up. It's best to describe as the car "chokes/microstutter" for a milisecond and then goes it way. The RPM doesn't drop down and the car just flawlessly goes up in RPM after.

Discouraged and dissapointed I went online and searched the forums if anybody had simillar issues. I then came on some US forums with a guy having the same problem. He indicates that going from a 2 cilinder mode to a 4 cilinder mode (CoD) can give a stutter. He also indicates that when you have your car tunes (chipped) this can increase. Now my previous car was a 1.4TFSI 8P and this is the 1.4TFSI 8V it feels A LOT faster so I'm thinking it's chipped to but no way to tell for sure ofcourse.

So, after this long *** story I'm kinda sitting here with a few questions in mind.

1. Are these symptons familliar for anybody else having this engine/car?
2. Can CoD be turned off with either VCDS, ODIS or Kess?
3. Are there any other ways to reduce the dip other then keeping the foot down on the gas haha.

Love to hear back from you guys.

The car is a 1.4TFSI (CoD) 2014 model. I'm from The Netherlands so to track more vehicile information to can go to the government website (https://ovi.rdw.nl/) and enter my serialplate: 4-SZR-75.

Just let Google translate the page to English since it's in Dutch original obviously.

Mine does it. I feel a slight “jerk” when coming from 2 cyl mode to 4 on the motorway.

Used to be seamless when it was new and never felt a thing. Now it’s 4 years old I can tell when it comes out of COD mode.

Still a great car though and been faultless since I have had it. Now 4 years old and 40k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: henkkeumus
Microstutter is a good way to describe it. The GF’s car does it sometimes - I notice it but it’s benign. It may be related to revs, engine load at the time and how big a press on the accelerator as I haven’t seen a pattern to it.

I also have a 2014 A3 PFL with 1.4 COD engine. It has done 33,000 miles and I must say there is no way I or anyone else who's been in the car can tell when it changes from 2 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode or vice versa (other than the dashboard indicator. I know this isn't going to help you but it does mean that it's not a universal "feature".

Discouraged and dissapointed I went online and searched the forums if anybody had simillar issues. I then came on some US forums with a guy having the same problem. He indicates that going from a 2 cilinder mode to a 4 cilinder mode (CoD) can give a stutter. He also indicates that when you have your car tunes (chipped) this can increase. Now my previous car was a 1.4TFSI 8P and this is the 1.4TFSI 8V it feels A LOT faster so I'm thinking it's chipped to but no way to tell for sure ofcourse.
A poor tuning can for sure increase the hesitation at 2Cyl->4Cyl transition, which is otherwise barely noticeable.
I had this issue when used DTUK tuning box for a while, which was the reason for removing it.
With MTM m-cantronic, it was smooth as stock (damaged the turbocharger twice though, but that is another story).

I also have a 2014 A3 PFL with 1.4 COD engine. It has done 33,000 miles and I must say there is no way I or anyone else who's been in the car can tell when it changes from 2 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode or vice versa (other than the dashboard indicator. I know this isn't going to help you but it does mean that it's not a universal "feature".
Same here with my 2017 model with 35k on the clock. Simply cannot tell the difference when coming out of 2 cyl mode.

Thanks for all your insights.

It's not a constant "problem" it rather is when I press the gas to overtake so a big increase in RPM it then sometimes microstutters 2 > 4.

Mine is a PFL 2014 1.4TFSi CoD with 193.7xx KM, for you UK guys measurements that's around 120.xxx miles.
It's not a new car no, but I never had a CoD engine so wasn't familiar with it. Now I can relate the stutter to the cilinder (de)activation.

Well, maybe it can be turned off in the ECM by a tuner. I dont mind the small bit of increasing fuel consumption as long as it wont stutter when I hit the gas :).
Maybe a good idea to ask if the garage can check or flash the original ECM/ECU software on it.. I would rather have that then this half managed tune.

Just to update. Apparently its quite common to disable though. Various tuner offer the service for around €200

Hi in my A3 1.4tfsi CoD was deactivated with remap.

Yep, just got my car back and booked it in for a stage1 remap in 2 weeks. They will deactivate CoD for the 1, 2, 3 gear but activate it for 4, 5, 6. This way the car runs lean on higher gears and on lower gears the engine will be less shakey they told me. Wondering if it will help :).

The deactivation was free if I remapped the ECU so figured it would be good to do a remap then lol