1.4tfsi S-line MT - Build Thread

Julio.VB

Reaction score
Hi all,

I figured I'd start another thread as my other one got lost in time lol. I've had my A3 for a month now and stock didn't last long :grin:. Here's what I've done so far:

Badge Delete (I'm from Chile btw:peace:)
IMG 6868 1

Synthetic coat (can't afford a ceramic coat yet :sweatdrops:)
IMG 7041

Bought a RS3 grill (not installed yet!) and a tow hook license plate mount to not ruin the look :seenoevil:
IMG 6835

Changed my wheels from OEM 17x7,5 ET 51 (I think) 225/45/17 to RS4 Reps 18x8 ET35 225/40/18. LOVE THEM! :hearteyes:
172D2D51 33B8 4715 8E9D 21AC99B37922

IMG 7102

I know, holy wheel gap! :laughing: Worry not, Eibach Pro-kit Springs are on their way! :smilingimp:

As far as the rest of the list goes:
- Tint my rear windows
- Wrap the rest of the roof after the sunroof gloss black
- Wrap the lower lip of the front bumper in gloss black

Trying to keep this build clean and "oem" while still being different from the 10250419 A3s driving around lol. This is my daily driver so I can only go a certain length :grimacing:. She's also a 1.4t and under warranty so a tune (APR and REVO available locally) is out of the list...for now :sweatsmile:.

Since having it, I've had this rattling sound during accelerations at low revs. I thought it was because it was brand new and needed to get broken into but a google search showed me the famous "turbo wastegate actuator rattle" suffered by many owners and that there is no fix. Mine is a 2016 model and most forum posts were from 2014 so I'm surprised the problem still exists on the later models. Is there a fix?

Last but not least, my last mod would be something in the exhaust department. I've got this muffler delete available from another 8v owner for stupid cheap (same guy that sold me the RS3 grill):

IMG 7056

His was a 1.8t so the sound may be different but he said it definitely gave his car a noise-change. I'm not a fan of cutting a month old exhaust to fit the muffler delete, but if the options below are not recommended by ya'll I guess I can get persuaded lol (it's stupid cheap...literally lol):sweatsmile:

The other options are:
- Custom made Cat-back in stainless steel with either a muffler or resonator (Which one would help me delete the "drone" sound. I do a lot of highway driving and it would drive me insane)

- By insane I mean a muffler and resonator delete....or yolo? hahaha sounds crazy but highway driving = kill me plz lol :laughing:

- REMUS Catback exhaust...sounds SICK but its the most expensive option out of the bunch.

Very happy with how the car is turning out and a joy to drive! (except the rattle thing lol). Learned lots in this forum so I hope I can get some feedback on the rattle issue and exhaust option!

Thanks in advance!!!:grinning:

Reactions: daydotz, Audi Bairn, pburv and 1 other person
Wow, nice work, and of course best colour choice. ;)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
Go for the Remus cat back....It's expensive for a reason....Sounds great...
Great looking car mate..:friends:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Wow, nice work, and of course best colour choice. ;)

Thank you!! Florett Silver Crew :rockwoot:

Go for the Remus cat back....It's expensive for a reason....Sounds great...
Great looking car mate..:friends:

Thanks!! And I know haha sounds so good! I do have to import it though which kinda bumps the price up. But if the A3 community tells me to do it, it shall be done :sweatsmile:

The actuator rattle only affected the 122ps output engines and only earlier 'earlier' ones at that. http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-4-tfsi-turbo-actuator-rod-rattle-factory-fix.214239/

Thanks cuke! Yeah, I've been searching everywhere to see if the noise I have is normal and just not normal for me lol or if its actually something like the rattle mentioned. :neutral:. I'll ask local audi owners to see if they can help out!

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!! Should be installing the RS3 grill and springs this week!!!:yahoo:

Reactions: TDI-line and pburv
Hey guys!

RS3 grill installed!! Tomorrow Eibach Pro-kit Springs!!!

E5F76CE1 57FB 4E9D BB5C EE4DA07412F0

Nice looking mate...Shame about the plate though....
Could you not possibly get a sticker of your plate made up and put it on your bonnet?

No sadly I asked and stickers are not allowed because its "easily removable". The other option would be to have it on my dashboard. But then if you get pulled over they can give you a hard time.

So had to settle for the tow hook mount. Rather do this than kill the grill with a fat license plate in the middle

No sadly I asked and stickers are not allowed because its "easily removable". The other option would be to have it on my dashboard. But then if you get pulled over they can give you a hard time.

So had to settle for the tow hook mount. Rather do this than kill the grill with a fat license plate in the middle
Possibly put it just above the splitter?

Reactions: Neil C and Audi Bairn
Enjoying following your progress, great work :salute:

The license plate is a difficult one. Unless we live in a place where no front plate is required at all it's a dilemma. I know the RS grille is best without the license plate holder but I think having the plate itself symmetrical rather than to one side works better for me, but just personal choice.

Look forward to seeing your next updates :yes:

Reactions: pburv
Doesn't the plate get in the way of the headlight washers popping out?
I think it'd look better at the bottom of the grille in line with the fogs?

Reactions: pburv
Possibly put it just above the splitter?

Enjoying following your progress, great work :salute:

The license plate is a difficult one. Unless we live in a place where no front plate is required at all it's a dilemma. I know the RS grille is best without the license plate holder but I think having the plate itself symmetrical rather than to one side works better for me, but just personal choice.

Look forward to seeing your next updates :yes:

Doesn't the plate get in the way of the headlight washers popping out?
I think it'd look better at the bottom of the grille in line with the fogs?

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Makes me motivated to keep this thread alive :yahoo:.

Yeah the license plate position was a tough one, I thought about all the ideas mentioned above and then some. I've settled for the tow hook license plate mount for now. I chose this route because maybe I can sneak it out of a picture by taking it from the correct angle rather than have it sit on the grill 24/7.

As for the headlight washer, there is enough clearance in the back for it to pop in and out (we did some tests :grin:)

Maybe I'll get convinced in the long run to place it near the splitter, who knows! Always open to change :rock:.

The Eibach springs beat me today so these may take a couple of weeks to get installed as I am waiting on a mechanic's availability. I'll be sure to put pictures up!

Hey guys!

Finally got around to installing the Springs. Here she is!!!

IMG 7330

Reactions: Lambtech and Tom.H
Hi all! Been a while! I went ahead and changed the position of the license plate back to the front grill by popular demand lol!

E12ed751 6808 4238 98c5 4a3c52cea4dd

As far as other mods go, two weekends ago I installed a Remus Catback exhaust!! Sounds AMAZING!

1f1cf052 1a6c 448e b612 2750d4e43afd

Coming this weekend, gonna have some fun with plastidip...change the style a bit :yahoo: