1.4TFSI Sport... Right Choice? Or...?!

ShortShift811

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here. I'm on the brink of confirming my next company car choice: a 3dr 1.4TFSI Sport in Brilliant Black. Only added options are bluetooth and the ipod connection (not AMI).

I'd have liked a bigger engine and slightly better spec, but this is the best combination on my list. A couple of q's before I pull the trigger:

- Is the Sport the right variant to go for? I've heard various complaints about the ride. Had a go in a friend's SE and found that a bit wallowy with numb steering (my last car being a SEAT Leon FR).

- Does the bluetooth pair up OK with a modern Blackberry? Again, I've heard of issues with connecting.

- Similarly, how much functionality does the iPod connection give via the m/f steering wheel? I'm not expecting miracles, but it'd be nice if I don't need to remove the iPod from the glovebox to change albums and playlists.

Hopefully I'm making a good choice! Will be doing 15 -20K miles a year mixed between motorways and A-roads. The FR was a nightmare for engine and road noise, so with a bit of luck this is a good step up.

TIA,

Gareth :)

the 1.4tfsi is a good engine , the sport has a hard ride same as the s-line mine is a sport and now I'm running on coilovers its so much better but of course you wouldn't be able to do that so the sport isn't that bad just a bit hard on motorways its very comfortable just on bumpy roads it gets a bit hard thats all i had my car on standard suspenssion for 3 ish years so can live with it very well not sure on the bluetooth I've got a aftermarket one in mine

Assuming that this is a brand new car, then I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I imagine it makes a lot of sense as a company car due to low Co2 and the reasonable spec that comes on A3s now that they are later in their lifecycle.

The Sport suspension set-up is probably comparable to a Golf GT or Leon FR for compfort; the S-Line uses even lower springs and stiffer damper settings and is oft-criticised (although I found it to be just fine).

Brilliant Black is going to be a lovely colour when new / detailed, but will require a lot of TLC if you want to keep it that way (suffering as it does from being both black and a flat paint!).