1.5 cod manual

musicegbdf

Reaction score
My daughter is looking to upgrade from and A1 as she needs a bigger car .
Was looking at the 1.5 Tfsi cod manual . However , have been reading of issues in all Vag cars with this engine “kangarooing” when cold.
Made a search on the forum but only found one post to a Q2.
Anybody aware of this , and has it been fixed ?
Tks

I can only speak for the previous engine (1.4 cod). Beautiful smooth engine. Best part of the car.

Yes , have seen that too . It is only the 1.5 , and seems it may be since the new emission changes . Apparently second half of last year.

But no recorded cases of this in the A3 forum? I would test drive the car first and see..

Interesting . 21 pages on VW forum , similar on Skoda .
Yes have suggested to her .
Thks

I got mine last month and don’t have any issues. I’ve read about the issue (mainly affecting the Tiguan I think it is) but haven’t seen anything in particular about it in the Audi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This issue has hit the VW T-Roc, but more so the Skoda Karoq. At the time of ordering I could find no issues with the 1.5 petrol engine in the Audi. It was main reason why I steered away from replacing my Yeti with a Karoq.
I collected my A3 1.5 35 at the start of the month and have experienced no issues. I only have 800 miles on it of which 600 was a long trip but I am pleased with my choice, apart from the seat comfort which is sadly lacking [on long journeys] compared to previous Skoda Yeti and VW Touran. The inside is a very nice place to be though.

Colin

Reactions: B33r
Thks Colin . Curious that it affects the TRoc and Karoq but not any of the audi family .
Thks again

I picked my new 1.5 35 TFSI COD in Oct '18 and mine does it every time the engine is cold. I typically do short runs of 12 miles to work and back. It does kangaroo and if you accelerate too much it's like hitting a flat spot in the revs. Not good when you want to pull out of junctions or onto roundabouts. Not had it back to the garage yet. I've previously had the 1.4 TFSI COD and that was fine. Most annoying part of the car if I'm honest. Probably not been mentioned on here because most members have S3s.

Thks Jossy I was wondering how Audi had not had the same problem . On the Skoda forum today they have apparently been told the new software update is now available to cure it ? May be worth you getting in touch with dealer

I've got this engine in mine, picked up at the start of March. I haven't experienced it, and I've been doing a lot of short trips from cold. Not many miles on yet though

Oh forgot to add, having come from an A1 myself I can definitely recommend it. Feels like a big upgrade quality wise, and the car doesn't feel much bigger to drive.

Yeah, I'm going to drop it in when I get chance. I've only done 1300 miles in mine. Agree, nice car. I've had 3 8V A3s. 1 1.4 Tfsi 122 bhp 3dr Sline in Daytona grey. 1 1.4 Tfsi 150 bhp COD Cabriolet in Daytona. Current 1.5 Tfsi 150 bhp COD Sportback Black Edition in Mythos Black. I must like them ! Would like another cab at some point though.

Forgot to add, the facelift feels much more smooth on the road. Road noise on the 18s is quite loud though.

Haha Jossy you certainly do .
I am still driving a PFL ( and sorry it is a S3)
Before that had a 8p diesel Quattro sport . Really likes that as well.
Other than the kangaroo problem are you happy with the 1.5 cod ?

It's spot on. Mpg usually 35-45 but short runs all the time. I've had it up to 50s stuck in slow moving traffic. Nippy enough - just got to build the revs a bit before overtakes. COD is brill - dash notification is the only way I can tell when it's in 2 cylinder mode - picks up straight away when you accelerate too. I could afford an S3 but can't justify it with low miles and good performance from a smaller unit. Cold start issue is the only issue.

I could not justify the S3 either , but did it anyway . The kids have all left home now and I have never had a performance car so thought now or never .
For real fun I drive a 1969 mgb gt . It is always an adventure ! It has to be driven as no servi assistance and leaf rear springs.
Hope they sort the “Roo” problem for you

My first car was a Triumph Dolomite 1500 twin carb with no power steering and a 4 speed manual ! Another British Leyland legend ! Still the longest I've ever owned a car though - 4 1/2 years.

Ours does what I would describe as a "hiccup" rather than a kangaroo when you first set off on a cold engine, it does it once for a millisecond and then runs fine. Having driven the car for 16 months now I don't even think about it. In all other respects it is a superb engine, smooth, plenty of low down torque and economical. I would have another, and indeed have been looking at buying myself one (the missus uses this car as her daily driver).....

Hi I have just purchased a 1500 mile 20 plate 1.5 TFSI petrol S Line, it has the dreaded Kangaroo'g when cold, I have nick named it skippy, its awful when cold. Audi strangely do not acknowledge this as an issue and I'm now fighting to give it back to them, Audi unlike VW, Seat and Skoda wont admin to the issue, so my advice is steer clear of all Petrol Audi's until they admit there is an issue with the same power plant in their car, as until. Wjhen I took it back the dealership warranty note, it states this "Advised to carry out a comparison road test" (they did not have in stock, so could not do a comparison), its the old usual dealership technique of washing their hands of it, what the heck does that prove, it either proves the other one is also broke, or it isn't. Unbelievably poor technical and after sales service, so be warned DO NOT purchase an Audi. After sales support is pants.

I've had the 1.5tsi in my manual A3 for almost 3 years now. I've never had an issue when the car is cold or after numerous short trips.

I completely agree with the above, aftersales support from Audi (Bolton) is utterly useless. I had an issue with a seat bolster, the supplying dealer wasn't remotely interested, I finished up taking the car to another dealership, even then they messed up booking the car when the replacement seat wasn't available.
ill never buy another Audi

I have this engine in the new A1, have done around 2.4k miles so far with no kangarooing and gives good performance and economy.

Avoid the 1.5 TSI at all costs

i have just managed to get rid of my 2018 seat leon 1.5tsi kangaroo edition.

awful gutless problematic engine!
Stay well clear

Would the 1.5 tsi 130 in the new golf mk8 have this problem fixed or is it still happning with the brand new 1.5 engines ?

Would the 1.5 tsi 130 in the new golf mk8 have this problem fixed or is it still happning with the brand new 1.5 engines ?
The original engine codes were DACA (130) and DADA (150)

these were only in production upto early 2019 and were replaced with DPBA and DPCA engines. Owners with brand new cars are still complaining of the kangaroo. Not as much as the early 1.5TSI’s though but the issue is still there.

the engine is beyond boring though, even without the kangaroo it would still be a dud. Geared up for economy and not much else. If you want to overtake you need to post a letter 3 days prior to thinking of an overtake.

Reactions: Audicfc
The original engine codes were DACA (130) and DADA (150)

these were only in production upto early 2019 and were replaced with DPBA and DPCA engines. Owners with brand new cars are still complaining of the kangaroo. Not as much as the early 1.5TSI’s though but the issue is still there.

the engine is beyond boring though, even without the kangaroo it would still be a dud. Geared up for economy and not much else. If you want to overtake you need to post a letter 3 days prior to thinking of an overtake.

Haha yes ive heard its not the most fun engine to drive you would think it would be just as good as the old 1.4, a family member has an order for the 1.5 tsi 130 mk8 golf but she might be better off going with the 1.0 tsi if the 1.5 still has a bit of the kangarooing there you would think it would be running smoothly by now after a few years

Haha yes ive heard its not the most fun engine to drive you would think it would be just as good as the old 1.4, a family member has an order for the 1.5 tsi 130 mk8 golf but she might be better off going with the 1.0 tsi if the 1.5 still has a bit of the kangarooing there you would think it would be running smoothly by now after a few years
I don’t think they can get a fix. It’s the new emissions regs strangling the engine i think. Thats just a hunch. Lack of fuelling when cold / low rpm to keep the emissions legal. Thats my theory.

i will never buy another 1.5 TSI. I won’t forget the 18 months i had with the jalopy and SEAT denying all knowledge. I had a november build DACA 130

I don’t think they can get a fix. It’s the new emissions regs strangling the engine i think. Thats just a hunch. Lack of fuelling when cold / low rpm to keep the emissions legal. Thats my theory.

i will never buy another 1.5 TSI. I won’t forget the 18 months i had with that jalopy and SEAT denying all knowledge. I had a november build DACA 130

Last edited:
I find it amazing how the engine can perform so differently from one vehicle to another.
I am now nearly 18 months into ownership and very pleased with the engine. Showing 46mpg over last 4k miles and half of that is towing. I have seen 70+ mpg on the gauge on a long run at restricted motorway speeds. Engine pulls really well and no problems evident.

Colin

Ditto, mine has been great. 68 plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm nearly a year into owning a 68 plate sline a3 1.5 tfsi. I cannot say I dont have kangaroo style starts as when I pulling away slowly with low revs it does it. However I can say if you drive it differently, ie a few more revs and pulling away quicker it goes away.
I can also say either 85% of drivers are driving really slowly or the 1.5 is a quick car as I can leave quite a few cars at roundabouts.