1.8 N/A cams in a 1.8t?

can someone explain me why Tuffy turbo pressure decresead

fixed duty cycle controlled.
We wish in hindsight that we has raised the boost to it pre cams level to see the difference.
You could theorise the reduction in boost was in part from increased flow for the same fixed duty cycle.

Reactions: <tuffty/> and Miguel_S#
Just to add... My mate works for an engineering company who do quite a few 20v big turbo builds

They've seen greatly improved spool rates from swapping just the exhaust cam for a NA one... He said spool was literally 1k earlier on some of the big turbos

Just to add... My mate works for an engineering company who do quite a few 20v big turbo builds

They've seen greatly improved spool rates from swapping just the exhaust cam for a NA one... He said spool was literally 1k earlier on some of the big turbos
that's a hell of a claim.
can he provide proof?

No. I don't buy that claim. Our testing was careful and watchful. The results compel me to say the NA exhaust cam is not worth the time nor effort. Instead, invest in an upgraded fuel pump, intercooling or take your parents out for a nice nite on the town.

Reactions: Prawn

done a few not seen the same, nor have others

Fair enough... Sorry, I was by no means discrediting anyone else's research! Merely recycling second hand info...

I'll have a chat with him about it next time I see him anyway. . . See if he has anything to add!

Reactions: ozzy38
Fair enough... Sorry, I was by no means discrediting anyone else's research! Merely recycling second hand info...

I'll have a chat with him about it next time I see him anyway. . . See if he has anything to add!
dotn be sorry its good to hear everyones experiences and to clear stuff up.
He might know something we dont.

no apologies req'd dude..
i know there was a guy "chandler" who worked at amd and did a atmo cam swap in his ibiza, and did before and after dynos and it on the day for him made demonstrable gains. I think he did both at same time, i dont remember now, its on scn forum somewhere i believe.

we tried it and inlet cam only and could measure no absolute gains, but the top end power would hold longer and higher in the rev range. they did something but certainly not magic up 1000rpm more spool..

From Tuffty's dyno it looks like they brought the torque up 350rpm later than stock.
Even if they made the same peak torque thats 20hp more just by it arriving at 6560rpm instead of 6210rpm. Truth be told they'll probably make more than that at the cost of low end response and I'm guessing from the dips in tuffty's plot up top it wasn't completly retuned as it was deemed a failure.

I guess its worth it if you're modifying the valvetrain and have a turbo that can make power upto 8500rpm but for the rest of us mortals with kkk turbos that are out of breath up top stock cams are just fine,

i got a set of ADR cams out of my ADR engine some time ago... i now am rebuilding a AGU head with all the springs valves upgrades. the AGU inlet cam has a different model number to the ADR however the exhaust cams are exactly the same. im confused here? apologies for the crappy pics i cant get the right angle to show the profiles however they do all look the same

Attachments

• IMG_20150404_140910.jpg
    IMG_20150404_140910.jpg
    915.1 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_20150404_140915.jpg
    IMG_20150404_140915.jpg
    808.9 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_20150404_140954.jpg
    IMG_20150404_140954.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_20150404_141004.jpg
    IMG_20150404_141004.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_20150404_141125.jpg
    IMG_20150404_141125.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 955
Get some vernier calipers and measure from lobe base to lobe tip...

<tuffty/>

just measured them using a vernier. inlet cams are exactly the same bar 0.05mm difference to cator for wear. the EX cam however has 1mm extra lift on all lobes.

cams in, i feel huge delay in throttle response, cant tell if its faster top end, almost feels like its lost power below 5k rpm, ( 479bhp @ 7700)

wasnt this the case when tested before or have you something differwnt here?

any map alterations or plug and play so far?

haven't touched the map, im going to leave to someone who knows what they are doing, going to give it a good run this week end and allow what ever fuel trims/timing alterations to set in so hopefully i can see some kind of change be it positive or negative.

advanced the timing by 3 degrees, no timing corrections yet so so far we can see its allowed more timing. i will keep advancing till it starts correcting

thats a good point, i done a compression test some time ago (around 2 monthes) and for an AGU it was lower then expected - 10.6 bar on all but 1 cylinder 9.8 bar

Also at high boost the back pressure may hold valves open causing a similar effect if it continues to take timing

im going to leave it alone and let someone who knows what they are doing sort it out - i just put in titainium retainers and dual valve springs so it shouldnt allow them to float at higher RPM

Ok I have an update. I scrapped the ADR cams and got a set of agn cams. Fitted them and reset engine codes. Car has a what can only be described as a weak idle but still pulling 22 on the vacuum gauge. There is a horrible flat spot bang on 5000 rpm then it clears and pulls hard. No matter what gear the flat spot remains. Boost is the same at 25,psi. No timing corrections and AFR good. I advanced the timing 4.5 degrees via unisetting and again no timing corrections. Car feel urgent off boost but flat spot ruins it. Going to try just the exhaust cam next

Reactions: s3gazz, Miguel_S# and superkarl
Personally would probably try just the inlet as that seems where most of the gains are leaned towards.
Lots of company's do just the intake cams, and some good catcam setups have been produced using the intake from an aggressive grind and using the exhaust from a milder grind

Ok I have an update. I scrapped the ADR cams and got a set of agn cams. Fitted them and reset engine codes. Car has a what can only be described as a weak idle but still pulling 22 on the vacuum gauge. There is a horrible flat spot bang on 5000 rpm then it clears and pulls hard. No matter what gear the flat spot remains. Boost is the same at 25,psi. No timing corrections and AFR good. I advanced the timing 4.5 degrees via unisetting and again no timing corrections. Car feel urgent off boost but flat spot ruins it. Going to try just the exhaust cam next

vvt car?

Do You measure egt??

some info
catcams say:

"225hp engines have an extra lower shim of 0.6mm at the exhaust spring due to higher turbo pressure. The maximum allowed lift when using the std spring setup is reduced to 9.4mm! It is required to modify the spring setup in this case."

Reactions: badger5
im using rosten dual valve springs, when i placed the springs from my agu head up against them they were identical in terms of height. i do not know what block i can measure EGT with in vagcom. i didnt even know you could log egt with the me7.5 as ive searched before

Can only log EGT if the car is equipped with a factory EGT sensor and the map on it is from a car that is EGT aware such as a wideband TT, LCR or S3

<tuffty/>

Just a heads up, the AGN inlet camshaft revision F is listed in the sales parts:

058109021F £283 down to £36.

this offers 8.41mm lift and 202 degrees VS bam/apy/amk of 7.67mm and 190 degrees

This isnt the best revision based on data in this thread (058109021 and 058109021E), but still offers more than stock.

Scrap that, this might be the best option in terms of valve overlap.

Last edited:
Dont want increased overlap in a turbo application though?