1.8 S-Tronic cold start problems.

manmoth

Reaction score
picked up my new A3 this week, loving everything about it but each morning it struggles to start. The starter motor turns over for 5-6 seconds and when the engine finally bites it splutters and stalls.. When I turn it over again it starts but this can't be normal. Anyone else having this or have any ideas?

Yeap, take it back to audi asap, no point wasting time on here, its not right to do this from new.

Audi assist are coming out tomorrow...... This only happens on the first cold morning start, fine during the day. Lets see what they have to say..... Watch this space......

.....Well Audi assist came out and it started first time this morning..... Typical......

Could this just be a "bedding in" thing? Anyone else ever had anything similar?

Was it colder when it struggled?

It sounds like you may be loosing fuel pressure over night, I know a few 1.4 tfsi A1's have had a similar issue, think they have a modified fuel return line in the delivery unit to sort it

Interesting.......At least that sounds treatable, I had visions of it being something that would put the car in and out of the garage for months while they poke and prod it...

Problem still persists, taking it to Audi after the Easter Weekend.

Its odd, some mornings it starts fine, others it takes longer for the engine to bite and when it does it is very similar to what would be happening if I was only firing on 3 cylinders, the engine, revs erratically at 600rpm ish and dies, i can smell unburnt pertrol whilst its doing this, manually revving has no effect.

any ideas???

You should have no issues with a new car , especially mechanical .

I would consider rejection or at least threaten this - sale of goods act etc

In case anyone is interested, Audi diagnosed this as a fuel pressure issue and replaced the fuel pressure valves, it only really happened on very cold starts so I guess time will tell next time we get a cold spell..