1.8 TFSI Unicorn developments remap

SJ43

Reaction score
Took the day off work on Friday to up to Stockport to get my car remapped by Rik at Unicorn and very happy with the result. Car just pulls much harder throughout the rev range and loves to rev to the limit. 1st and 2nd gear grip seems to be an issue with our current weather in the UK but not a lot I can do about that!
BHP/Torque figures before and after on his dyno were:
192bhp & 208ft/lbs
to
243bhp & 243ft/lbs

Engine had the ability to be mapped further but to keep the DSG within safe limits (7-speed dry-clutch), he had to cap the power and torque there. But for a car that probably weights not a lot more then 1300kg's the 50bhp and extra torque has really made a big difference.
Was hoping to get the long awaited DSG map on too but had some teething issues so will be making a return visit at some point when Rik is about to get that sorted.

Rik's knowledge on tuning and the results mean I can't recommend him enough.

The extra boost has allowed my BCS Powervalve to become considerably louder too. I guess my car never used to quite create enough boost to open the valves at certain parts of the rev range but now it just sounds epic when you're going for it.

Reactions: KieranJ22, Salik Sajid, BCS Nige and 4 others
He really does know his stuff both petrol and diesel how to get the most out of them whilst still keeping it reliable.
What tyres are you running on the car, I am well impressed with the Eagle F1's on my car 3 degrees torrential rain and they aren't having any issues at all. My car is quattro but has 550Lb/ft of torque so gives them a work out when pulling away quickly in 1st / 2nd.
Only thing wrong with the assy3 is the poor rim protector.

Reactions: SJ43
Some shameless tesco car park pics.. Car could do with a wash to get that glacier white looking its best!
5fcdbac049dbddd175b429d921714ef0.jpg
7c946f59f203f192757d2b262c427c4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimWills28, Salik Sajid, THQuattro and 1 other person
He really does know his stuff both petrol and diesel how to get the most out of them whilst still keeping it reliable.
What tyres are you running on the car, I am well impressed with the Eagle F1's on my car 3 degrees torrential rain and they aren't having any issues at all. My car is quattro but has 550Lb/ft of torque so gives them a work out when pulling away quickly in 1st / 2nd.
Only thing wrong with the assy3 is the poor rim protector.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 4's at the moment which have about 5mm on them. 550Lb/ft yikes thats a lot of torque! They definitely sound worth a try once these are worn! 225 tyre section could also be partially to do with it?, what width are yours?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Do many people experience any problems with this gearbox mate?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Do many people experience any problems with this gearbox mate?

When they first came out, they proved to be rather unreliable where there was a high rate of failures occuring. VAG then issued a recall to fix them. After that time, quality of them proved to be much better. People worldwide are now running them with 270-290bhp, APR stage 2's etc for over a year now of hard driving and they're still going strong. Heard of 1 person who had a clutch issue but thats it as far as I've read. Not saying theyre bullet-proof but they are miles better than the first generation that came out.

This tuner in Russia has bolted on a bigger turbo (from a G7 GTI) to their 1.8 TFSI 7-speed dsg and its now pushing 300bhp/295ft/lbs apparently lol.

http://etuners.ru/Без-рубрики/1-8tsi-gen3-etuners-stage3-is20-turbo-300hp-400nm/

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Glarhzilla
I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport 4's at the moment which have about 5mm on them. 550Lb/ft yikes thats a lot of torque! They definitely sound worth a try once these are worn! 225 tyre section could also be partially to do with it?, what width are yours?
PS4's get a good write up so I don't think it's the tyres that are the problem, just too much power :) . My car runs 245/40/18 tyres but it's a 3.0 TDI A4 with a hybrid turbo not an A3 hence the silly torque figure.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, just had a read of your build thread, really impressive!

When they first came out, they proved to be rather unreliable where there was a high rate of failures occuring. VAG then issued a recall to fix them. After that time, quality of them proved to be much better. People worldwide are now running them with 270-290bhp, APR stage 2's etc for over a year now of hard driving and they're still going strong. Heard of 1 person who had a clutch issue but thats it as far as I've read. Not saying theyre bullet-proof but they are miles better than the first generation that came out.

This tuner in Russia has bolted on a bigger turbo (from a G7 GTI) to their 1.8 TFSI 7-speed dsg and its now pushing 300bhp/295ft/lbs apparently lol.

http://etuners.ru/Без-рубрики/1-8tsi-gen3-etuners-stage3-is20-turbo-300hp-400nm/
Thank you for that information. Do you happen to know what year the gear box changed or was updated?
Thanks

To be honest mate I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that information. Do you happen to know what year the gear box changed or was updated?
Thanks

it was end of 2013 when the 8v 1.8tfsi was newly launched

Reactions: Glarhzilla