1.8 TFSi ?

Patrico777

Reaction score
Hi

Wanted to check how are the audi a3 s line black edition 1.8TFSi on oil do they burn oil was reading something other day wanted to swap mine tdi for TFSi that why I ask?

The 1.8 tfsi engines built after July 2011 shouldn't have any oil consumption issues

Reactions: Patrico777
Looks gd, u should ask the dealer if the piston rings were changed and if theres any paperwork to prove it, because a defect on the piston rings in engines built before mid 2011 causes excessive oil consumption
That what I was reading everywhere that Im asking here so the ones after 2011 are all fine ? I will call tomorrow and ask I got exact same car just black and TDi dont find diesel interested had ST before and that was fun that why thinking of TFSi remap exhaust will be nice

That what I was reading everywhere that Im asking here so the ones after 2011 are all fine ? I will call tomorrow and ask I got exact same car just black and TDi dont find diesel interested had ST before and that was fun that why thinking of TFSi remap exhaust will be nice
according to audi the ones built after mid 2011 are fine but i've seen a few ppl with cars built after still complaining about excessive consumption

i've got a 61 plate 1.8 tfsi BE and I haven't had any excessive oil consumption issues though

according to audi the ones built after mid 2011 are fine but i've seen a few ppl with cars built after still complaining about excessive consumption

i've got a 61 plate 1.8 tfsi BE and I haven't had any excessive oil consumption issues though
How is the car ? What sort of miles u do for £20 of petrol?

How is the car ? What sort of miles u do for £20 of petrol?
car is great, love the engine and responsiveness
all my driving is stop start town driving so mpg isn't great, for £20 I probably get around 120 miles

I got a 2011 a3 s line black edition and had no issues with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a 59 plate. Had to have mine rebuilt. Right pain with Audi. Still used a bit of oil after but nothing like it did

Have a 2010 2.0 TFSi and no oil consumption problems, maybe I'm just lucky.
The cause of the oil ring problem was wrong oil filled in the factory and the rings never bedded in with drivers being over cautious about running the engine in.
As for finding a petrol car that doesn't suffer from oil consumption problems, your'e not going to know.

Looks gd, u should ask the dealer if the piston rings were changed and if theres any paperwork to prove it, because a defect on the piston rings in engines built before mid 2011 causes excessive oil consumption
Piston rings were not changed not sure if to get it now ? Its on 51 k miles full history independent garage

Have a 2010 2.0 TFSi and no oil consumption problems, maybe I'm just lucky.
The cause of the oil ring problem was wrong oil filled in the factory and the rings never bedded in with drivers being over cautious about running the engine in.
As for finding a petrol car that doesn't suffer from oil consumption problems, your'e not going to know.
So its like raffle ticket then ?

Had a 59 plate. Had to have mine rebuilt. Right pain with Audi. Still used a bit of oil after but nothing like it did

Looks like im gonna go back to ST fiesta lol

Booo. For me the interior would put me off. The Audi A3 in both 8p and 8v are nice places to be. Just do your research and buy a good one. Diesels are also very good and issues with the 1.8t were rare. I was just unlucky I think. Guy I sold mine to was made up with it

Do not waste your money. There are plenty more cars out there!

I had a 1.8 (MY09) before my S3. It had 49k miles on it, had not been rebuilt but used no oil at all.

There is a lot is scare-mongering around the 1.8. Yes there is widely documented issues with the early EA888 1.8 and some 2.0 engines failing but not all.

Unless it’s an Audi Dealer, it’s unlikely there is a record or the rings being changed. Besides, you get a 3 month warranty from the dealer - ask them to throw in a 12 month 3rd party warranty.

If you’re really worried don’t buy another Audi or buy a brand new car. However both will bring a different set of issues.

Just my 2p worth.

Booo. For me the interior would put me off. The Audi A3 in both 8p and 8v are nice places to be. Just do your research and buy a good one. Diesels are also very good and issues with the 1.8t were rare. I was just unlucky I think. Guy I sold mine to was made up with it

Yes I get that but fiesta st-3 with 10k miles nice frozen white 1.6 turbo 200bhp warranty ! Cant go wrong these diesel cars specially vag are crap egrs dpf etc etc will never buy DIESEL in my life worst decision I made, cannot find any black editionTFSI in 100miles radius

I had a 1.8 (MY09) before my S3. It had 49k miles on it, had not been rebuilt but used no oil at all.

There is a lot is scare-mongering around the 1.8. Yes there is widely documented issues with the early EA888 1.8 and some 2.0 engines failing but not all.

Unless it’s an Audi Dealer, it’s unlikely there is a record or the rings being changed. Besides, you get a 3 month warranty from the dealer - ask them to throw in a 12 month 3rd party warranty.

If you’re really worried don’t buy another Audi or buy a brand new car. However both will bring a different set of issues.

Just my 2p worth.
Like I said in above post maybe st-3 will be best option for me that way I will have warranty 16 plate with like 10-15k miles

Just my 2p worth.
What the third party warranty ? That what scares me I will buy a car with burning oil issue

I've not been on here for ages but had a 2011 1.8 TFSI, lovely car but was using a litre of oil every 2000 miles so iot went after 18 months. Only had about 45k on the clock at just under4 yrs old.

I bought a 2010 1.8t that ended up burning 1.5 litres of oil in under 1000km which lead to a statutory warranty claim. They dealership I bought the car from is replacing the piston rings and timing tensioner and stuff. The car had 130k km on the clock