1.8t Black edition or R32?!? HELP!

Daley.

Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to know honest opinions.Currently have 1.8t black edition on order but the wait is killing me ordered in march and still no build date, I was just thinking whether to cancel and get something else.Have been looking on Internet at vw r32 as I could get a 09 fully loaded for same price as the BE, the s3 I think are a bit more but realy like the look of them too! Would just like to know what you think I know it's a big jump in terms of engine size it's just what I can get for the same price realy.What do you guys think?

LD

In my opinion I think is worth the wait as you have already been waiting for a while might as well wait till the end for the new 1.8 black edition because you know is brand new nothing been done to it .
But if you went for a use car you probably cannot find out what has been done to the car by the previous owner.

If your looking at an R32 as well you've obviously got a mind for performance too in that case I'd avoid the 1.8 as its sloww and not as tuneable as the 2.0TFSI

Hi

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to know honest opinions.Currently have 1.8t black edition on order but the wait is killing me ordered in march and still no build date, I was just thinking whether to cancel and get something else.Have been looking on Internet at vw r32 as I could get a 09 fully loaded for same price as the BE, the s3 I think are a bit more but realy like the look of them too! Would just like to know what you think I know it's a big jump in terms of engine size it's just what I can get for the same price realy.What do you guys think?

LD

I ordered a BE sportback 1.8 s / tronic with loads of extras in last week of feb and picked it up on 21 may , i had a build week date by 2 week in march .

When an R32 sits next to you at the traffic lights.....:bye:

I know which I would have!

TBH an S3 depending on the options you require, and an R32 really are not a lot of difference in price, you can get better discounts on an S3 that balances it all out, the problem is finding one that has the options you want, and not pay for a load of options you do not want.
You do not have to order a new one to be built just for you, find a car in the UK, or has all ready been dealer ordered, many options can be added at a later date as well. My S3 was all ready pre-orderd that I found but not built, but only had to wait a month for it.
research what options you want but an be fitted after wards against the ones that cannot be retro-fitted.
It is an ardious job, but there is big savings to be had on some A3/S3 models.

Why not go for an A3 with an R32 engine :) oh yea...look at my sig., thats why...lol

A black edition 1.8t looks to be about £22k with no options.and for that you could get a 2008 S3 with 10k miles.
Seems to me you want to decide just what you want because a new 1.8T and an S/H R32 are at opposite ends of the spectrum..

Thanks for replys , I would like the s3 Brett but an 09 is to much as is the 3.2 paddy and that is the year I'm looking at considering the BE would be a 10 plate. Also the options with the s3 comparing to the r32 make it more expensive r32 fully loaded s3/3.2 not! Decisions, decisions lol.

I wouldnt bother with either, 22k will get you a nice 'Rocco 2.0T GT

I don't realy like the look of the rocco lee_r, paddy you have a link for an 08 s3?I know it's a big jump from performance but as I said basically it's what I can get for my money.What will happen if I cancel as well do I lose my deposit?

TBH if you wanna tune then forget the R32, unless you have very very deep pockets its a no goer & for me the R32 was a let down on test, the GTI was alot more fun & highly tunable, so 1.8T or S3 & if you can afford well S3 hands down IMHO.

The R32 has an excellent exhaust note. I always wind my window down when an R32 pulls up alongside!

Peter

The R32 has an excellent exhaust note. I always wind my window down when an R32 pulls up alongside!

Whats the point of it sounding good, if it doesnt match with performance as such.

Whats the point of it sounding good, if it doesnt match with performance as such.

Well given the amount of people on here fitting Millteks to diesels i reckon your out numbered. How much quicker do you think a R32 should go before it matches its exhaust note.? It will do 150+mph and get to sixty in 6 seconds ! for heavens sake.

Last edited:
Well given the amount of people on here fitting Millteks to diesels i reckon your out numbered. How much quicker do you think a R32 should go before it matches its exhaust note.? It will do 150+mph and get to sixty in 6 seconds ! for heavens sake.

Then there money wasted then Paddy IMHO as it isnt gonna sound like an RS4 burbling away is it lol & if they can find any real noticable power difference with a miltek fitted on there generic mapped cars, then hats of to them, but IMHO its a complete waste of time & money.

I drove the mk5 R32 & the GTI on the same day 1 after the other, the R32 to me just simply was far from exciting mate, personal preference I guess but it just didnt do much for me & as for how it sounds, not my ball game tbh, prefer it to tick all the boxes not just sound meaty.

Im not looking to tune or anything just looking for a standard car. Could you help with an answer to what I asked about cancelling my order?

Not being funny Daley, but how can we advise you what is the best car to suit you, do you get my point, not being sarcy, just honest, only you can decide whats the best option to take, as if the wait is annoying you then go test an R32, S3 & possibly even a MK6 GTI so you can make the decision based on your own experiences, we can only sit here arguing the toss over what we think is the best car for you when at the end of the day we're not the one 1st paying for it & 2nd having to drive it, all said with the best intentions you understand :icon_thumright:

It's pretty simple really. If you want a new car, go for the BE 1.8. If you want pace..go for an older S3...If you want noise, go for the R32...If you want a car that is easily tuneable..it will be the S3 again...All depends on your budget also as the latter 2 cars will no doubt cost more to run..especially the 32 with trips to the petrol station...May I just add that I totally agree with NHN regarding the R32..I test drove one and it just felt....well.....slow..yes it might do 6 secs to 60 but it just doesn't feel like it....and imo...it's only the sound that made it exciting. Interior felt boring too. ANyways, good luck with the choice..even though they are spectrums apart..brand new BE or used S3..the choice is yours.

Interior felt boring too.

Ah yes I missed that observation, well pointed out, although, again OT, the MK5's strangely have better tech than the 8P, which is supposed to be the upper classed car as such, strange, very.

Trouble is with that 3.2 engine is that it is unreliable, so thirsty its untrue, & also any car with a 3.2 with it in depreciates like crazy.
Thats why there are lots of people on here tuning diesels, far more reliable, cheaper runnig costs, & worth something at the end of the day when your finished with it.
Ever thought that your car may well be fixed Paddy, maybe your local Audi dealership finds your attitude a touch annoying & its parked up out the back to teach you a lesson.

Trouble is with that 3.2 engine is that it is unreliable, so thirsty its untrue, & also any car with a 3.2 with it in depreciates like crazy.
Thats why there are lots of people on here tuning diesels, far more reliable, cheaper runnig costs, & worth something at the end of the day when your finished with it.
Ever thought that your car may well be fixed Paddy, maybe your local Audi dealership finds your attitude a touch annoying & its parked up out the back to teach you a lesson.

Unreliable - main issue is chain stretch, and this isn't an issue so much on the newer cars with revised parts
Thirsty - I average 24mpg and don't hang around. 30mpg on a run. Seems fair for 240+bhp in a heavy car
Depreciation - R32's hold their value pretty well

To the OP - drive an R32! If you're planning to leave standard, or even lightly tune a 1.8T, then I think the R32 will be far more fun. The R32 has some great presence too.

Oh silly me....its all my fault and to punish me they have left me with this £30k brand new A4....That will teach me to have an attitude..........lol

They are all VAG platform sharing, parts bin specials anyway.
A3=Golf in drag.
Golf=overpriced Skoda.
Loada *****.

Buy a propper car.

Cayman anyone?

(this is where the thread will end up, just thought i would get there first! :nyah:)

cheers:hi:
paul

Oh silly me....its all my fault and to punish me they have left me with this £30k brand new A4....That will teach me to have an attitude..........lol

Where's the 'like' button?

Cayman anyone?

(this is where the thread will end up, just thought i would get there first! :nyah:)

I wonder if the porsche cayman forums talk about S3's as much as we talk about there cars :lmfao:

They are all VAG platform sharing, parts bin specials anyway.
A3=Golf in drag.
Golf=overpriced Skoda.
Loada *****.

Buy a propper car.

Cayman anyone?

cheers:hi:
paul

Ha Ha, you're always first on that one Paul!!

I think you need to get it out of your system, go and treat yourself!

For the record, I completely agree, what on earth am I driving this Audi "Sounds Just Like a Golf" S3 for.....oh yeah, couldn't fit the bike that i never ride anymore in the backof a Cayman.....doh!!!!

Last edited:
Ha Ha, you're always first on that one Paul!!

I think you need to get it out of your system, go and treat yourself!

For the record, I completely agree, what on earth am I driving this Audi "Sounds Just Like a Golf" S3 for.....oh yeah, couldn't fit the bike that i never ride anymore in the back.....doh!!!!

Just thought if we all `agreed` that AUDIs are rubbish, numb, boring etc.... on page 1 we could skip that old chestnut and give the OP some useful, distorted, one sided input on his dilemna.

(Apologioes for the minor hijack Daley., couldnt help it, feels like Monday today.)

So, anyway, lightly used S3 would be my choice, wouldnt buy an R32 new but they are a good used punt.
If you want brisk economy then go for a derv and you will have the bonus of decent residuals.
And if you are a tight as Paddy and a fruity engine note is your priority, then buy a 3 yrs old A3 3.2. Arguably best value of the lot, albeit thirsty.

Cheers:thumbsup:`
Paul

Looks like the thread has got a little away from the initial questions... but my thoughts are;

Stick with the BE on order if the reasons for you ordering it are still the main reasons for having a car.
If you have got bored of waiting then kick some Audi *** and tell them you are going to get something else if they don't let you know what's going on ASAP. May or may not make a difference.

If you think that a performance car is more what you're looking for then cancel your order if you can without any penalty and go and test drive the cars you like the look of.
I currently have a 350Z and love it. My BE on order is a 2.0TDI through a company car scheme. Just bought a new house so time for the 350 to go and something cheaper to run to take its place for a while.

Test drives are key though. Don't listen to anybody else for ultimate facts about a car. Go and get yourself into one and see how it makes you feel.

Have fun!

R32 for me or A3 3.2 (can get late ones) as long as your not wanting to tune them........

And if you are a tight as Paddy and a fruity engine note is your priority, then buy a 3 yrs old A3 3.2. Arguably best value of the lot, albeit thirsty.

Cheers:thumbsup:`
Paul

Moi..tight..lol There's a contradiction there....3.2 and tight in the same sentence !! ? If he buys a 3.2 he will soon learn how to spend money :)

Latest news chaps, new cam chain being fitted tomorrow. will that fix it ? can the nation stand the suspense ? do we even care any more ?:laugh:

Erm....no, up to now mines been reliable. Thirsty... like V6Pete said 'I average 24mpg and don't hang around. 30mpg on a run. Seems fair for 240+bhp in a heavy car' thats not too bad for a big 'ole car!

All cars depreciate, you takes your chances in life!

I've had a few diesels now mostly Audi/VW and whilst cheaper to run have had some pretty major reliability issues and had to be mapped to get some extra poke out of them which lead to other issues with parts....

Daley, as a few have said, decide what YOU want, if your wants when you ordered are the same or if they have changed. And if they have changed, go test drive a few choices, before making a final decision, enjoy whatever you choose to do.

just as is mentioned in post 3
2.0T A3 remapped it's nearly if not as quick as a standard r32
no brainer really you could get a nearly new one for 22k
wish i had 22k to spend on a car!
no fussed about the sound of the R32 my neighbour has one and all he does is drool over my A3 lol!
it's like saying get the v6 fto they sound awesome but they are crap!

S...dont waste ya breath on old Angry....he only posts after me and has a chip on his shoulder the size of his ego. just a troll, no worries :)

just as is mentioned in post 3
2.0T A3 remapped it's nearly if not as quick as a standard r32
no brainer really you could get a nearly new one for 22k
wish i had 22k to spend on a car!
no fussed about the sound of the R32 my neighbour has one and all he does is drool over my A3 lol!
it's like saying get the v6 fto they sound awesome but they are crap!

Seems odd to me that it always comes down to whats .5 second quicker here or there ! If your neighbour likes his R32 and drools over your A3....then he needs a 3.2 A3 Both the S3 and the 3.2 are great cars more capable than most of the drivers here by a mile. This idea that a tuned something is quicker than a std something carries little weight with me and frankly if you haven't lived with a 3.2/ R32 then your not going to understand the attraction. Someone earlier said..yea the 3.2 might get to 60 in 6 seconds but it doesn't feel like it. Well maybe thats the thing here comparing fast and frantic with fast and laid back. Its just personal choice and because of its age i will probably move from my 3.2 to an S3 and i expect i will prefer it after a while but the 3.2 lump is a great engine. light, compact, it will pull from1000rpm with no flat spot or turbo lag, it will rev out to 7000rpm, I would say that in traffic its actually more flexible than a turbo engine and if you dont think its quick.....I bet i could frighten the hell out of you round the lanes ;)

R32 for me or A3 3.2 (can get late ones) as long as your not wanting to tune them........

Yeah, Ive seen a 57 plate kicking around locally, S Line in Misano, OEM BBS Splits.
Looks pretty cool. Must be one of the very last ones right?

How much were these new?

Cheers
Paul

Seems odd to me that it always comes down to whats .5 second quicker here or there ! If your neighbour likes his R32 and drools over your A3....then he needs a 3.2 A3 Both the S3 and the 3.2 are great cars more capable than most of the drivers here by a mile. This idea that a tuned something is quicker than a std something carries little weight with me and frankly if you haven't lived with a 3.2/ R32 then your not going to understand the attraction. Someone earlier said..yea the 3.2 might get to 60 in 6 seconds but it doesn't feel like it. Well maybe thats the thing here comparing fast and frantic with fast and laid back. Its just personal choice and because of its age i will probably move from my 3.2 to an S3 and i expect i will prefer it after a while but the 3.2 lump is a great engine. light, compact, it will pull from1000rpm with no flat spot or turbo lag, it will rev out to 7000rpm, I would say that in traffic its actually more flexible than a turbo engine and if you dont think its quick.....I bet i could frighten the hell out of you round the lanes ;)

i would absolutely love it fella i live out in the sticks my self on the pennines so i have miles and miles of fantastic country lanes to fly around as you said i ain't bothered about 0-60 times either and i agree that around town in traffic a V6 is far nicer to drive than a turbo car.
i was just stating that there was another option available to the OP
no trying to start a mines better than yours thread:salute: