1.8t engine swap

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Just had a quick look on site and although there are engine swap threads I don’t want to hijack one with something different.
I have a 1.8 n/a how simple is it to put a turbo lump in it? I know I’ll need the ecu with the engine but is the n/a loom ok or does that need replacing too? I’m not after insane power! I just want a bit more ooomph when I put my foot down so what is the best 1.8t engine for the b5 and why? I’ve already been told I can’t use a bam engine which Is a shame as I can almost certainly get my hands on one. Advice would be appreciated thanks guys.

Its a pointless thing to do, just sell it and buy a turbo car.

You end up needing to buy a turbo car as a donor anyway, as there are a lot of differences and if you try to nickel and dime your way thru them all you'll have spent more than just buying the proper car in the first place.

Plus the proper car will be cheaper and easier to insure.

That’s true, it’s just a case of finding a clean unabused one I guess it would be a shame as mine is almost entirely rust free. What’s the best engine code for a turbo one? I know there are a few and some of them are 150 and 180bhp if I was to get one and I’m certain I will I want the the 180.

Only car that has the 180 is the Turbo quattro Sport with the AJL engine.
The 150s are all fwd unledd imported and are AEB, APU and AWT

The Sport is a great solid car, but heavy, do not expect it to be fast as a well specc'd one weighs around 1600KG over the FWD at around 1300 to 1400

I think there was a couple for sale on eBay is the 1.8na really that slow??

To be honest it’s not as bad as some n/a cars I’ve driven but when I was looking for a b5 I always had it in mind I’d get a turbo Quattro but then mine came up on eBay and for 600 notes with no rust and only the odd little ding and full history I couldn’t pass it up.

There’s a fair few s4’s but I can’t afford to own one of those :sob:

Yeah I need a bit of power in my life my daily is a 2015 fiesta 1.25 epic

Own I know why but I need something reliable and cheap to run

That’s fair enough mate, to be honest me and my missis are talking about getting her a little run around as she won’t drive the Audi so that’ll be some brownie points which will go in favour of getting a turbo Quattro sport lol.

I’ve always wanted a Quattro really never had one. Yours is fwd? Does it put power down ok?

No problem do be honest a quattro will cost you more as it said it's a bit heavier

I think fwd are a bit easier to find but quattros are out there

Thing is I only use eBay I should probably try gumtree and I’m sure there other sites out there also.

going back to FWD after years of quattro really opens your eyes to how annoying it is.

I would really hold out for a nice quattro car.

True I've never had a quattro so don't know what I am missing

I’ve never had one either but would love too. Apart from the obvious benefits of awd like accelerating what are they like does it generally feel more stable with day to day driving?

I notice it most at roundabouts and junctions and things.

With front drive, a quick getaway out of a junction where your steering and accellerating at the same time, or onto a roundabout etc where the camber isnt perfect i find just lights the wheels up. In the Merc the traction control is pretty crap, so you get massive wheelspin, then nothing, then it slowly gives you power back leaving you feeling stranded in the middle of the road and looking like a chav ****. The A4 doesnt have traction control, but you never get any sort of complaints from the tyres, it just gets on with it.

Normal driving once moving theres not a huge difference, obviously it can put the power down much better on wet or uneven surfaces. It all just feels more solid and more predictable.

Thanks Aragorn definitely getting a tqs. If it’s ok I’m going to try and send a link to some wheels I have seen and I’m definitely no good with offset and wheel size so would like to know if they would fit a b5 platform.

Ok couldn’t do a link so took a pic lol
5B9ACB1F 0003 4BC1 BC12 4BBB87DF8D3E
ok so these rims but what offset? I have no idea if 35 offset is closer to outside of arch or if 40 is? Or even if the width of those would fit?

Obviously not for this particular Audi I currently have as it would be pointless although I’m still going to fit the suspension just to see what it’s like :racer:

35 to 40 is a reasonable offset for a B5, however 9" wide wheels will probably be sticking out the arches, especially on the front.

An 8" version would fit much better.

Heres a pic of my car, with 8x18" wheels and 235/40r18 tyres. The Wheels are ET42, and i'm running a 12mm spacer in the rear taking those down to ET30.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26fehrvuqftm77q/2017-04-23 10.12.47.jpg?dl=0

You might well be able to fit 9" wheels on, but the offset becomes critical as your balancing the outer arch clearance with catching on the inside. 9" wheels really also want a 255 section tyre, and thats not really achievable so you end up stretching on a smaller tyre which looks silly.

Wow what colour is that? That’s really nice. Ok cool thanks for advice so you only have spacers on the rear?

Sorry just noticed it’s berry pearl and I can’t stop looking at it lol.

Yeh only spacers on the rear. For whatever reason on the B5, the rear wheels end up more tucked if you run the same offset all round.

And yeh, its a pretty rare color :)

Yeah I thought that when looking at mine standard the rears sit deeper in the arch.

Loving the b5 with bbs ch I want to change my alloys may go for some ch want to finish spraying mine then sell them or swap

Got a question about wheels and spacers, I want some spacers on mine but you can get two types of bolts. One type for O.E.M rims and one type for non O.E.M. On all the sites non standard rims are supplied with tapered bolts and original rims with a radius type bolt. I have non standard rims but the alloys take a radius bolt. Does this seem right? Or has someone forced the wrong bolt to tighten the rim.

Best thing to do mate is take a bolt out stick loads of blue tac in there then pull it out and that will answer your question bud thank me later lol

Or chewing gum but remember not to put it back in your mouth after