1.8T oil pressure warning - advice sought

• Thread starter imported_CurryMilkShake
  • Start date
I

imported_CurryMilkShake

My brothers newly acquired N reg A4 1.8T has an issue..

It sounds, drives and looks great - Full Audi history, 88k, last service and belt change etc by Audi at 83k.. But over the first journey (70m or so) the oil warning lamp is coming on intermittently. Sometimes just for a short time, sometimes for longer..

The oil levels are all absolutely spot on..

The operating temperatures seem fine (90 for water, 80 for oil)

It was not being pushed hard at all, in fact been driven quite gently, 60 or so

Stopped promptly after first indication, checked all levels, all seemed fine, light went out, so journey carried on (yes having looked in the book now it says not to! oops)

Car drove flawlessly, no loss of power, very smooth, just this intermittent warning..

Audi Service have gone home for the weekend.. any advice would be much appreciated! emails, or phone calls (call you back!) 07843 048868

In the best Penelope Pitstop stylee: Haayelp! Ta - Ben

There was someone else on here had this, it turned out to be a faulty oil pump, it may be worth looking for a loose wire, or a shorting wire on the sensor.The sensors are not greatly expensive i guess changing it would eliminate a faulty sensor.

HTH

I had the same problem last week with a '01 1.8T. I had it towed to an Audi dealer and it was a defective oil pump. There is an Audi service bulletin regarding the problem and the pump was replaced for free. Part of the replacement procedure is to check for engine damage. Mine didn't have any. The service advisor told me that if there is engine damage the engine will be replaced for free.

Jim M.

In my earlier message I neglected to mention that the car was out of warranty. It has 58K on it and it was fixed at no charge to me. You might want to check with Audi USA.

Jim M