1.8T Quattro 8L - Exhaust

b1gdave83

Reaction score
I know this has probably been covered loads of times before but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Am I right in thinking that I need a S3 exhaust system to upgrade the quattro?

I'm thinking about the full system, not just the CAT back. But i don't want to limit myself later for when I upgrade the turbo.

Been looking at scorpion & miltek any other recommendations?

Next thing is prices... Who has the best deals that you guys & gals know off :)

Yes and No. You can fit a S3 exhaust but you'll need to keep the original downpipe as the 1.8T is a K03 turbo while the S3 is a K04. The good news is that the downpipe for the 1.8T Quattro goes onto the S3 cat and I think you'll find the biggest restiction will be in the k03 downpipe so that will be the limiting part of the exhaust. It does however make upgrading the turbo, should you so wish easier as the K04 and associated downpipe will then fit straight onto your new exhaust.

Thank you,

OK that makes sense, Does that mean the S3 exhaust will fit the standard Cat which is on there now?
If so I might as well saves some pennies for now and just buy the CAT back system until i upgrade the turbo?

dave theres a group buy on miltek systems currently going if you havent seen it......

if you want to fit an s3 exhaust to your a3 quattro you will need to change one of the rear hangers as they are different on one side get one from audi they are about £15 dont know why bit silly really just one of the backbox hangers goes towards the wheel on s3 but on the a3 goes towards the rear of car but other than that will be a straight fit cat back system obviously i put a miltek non res on mine made it sound awsome

Thanks, well I have ordered it through the group buy. Just need to get hold of that bracket, What did you do about cutting the rear bumper? :)

i just cut a notch out same as the s3 has took a pic so you can see just take your time no rushing do a neat job
dc4a1e15.jpg

they dont look that great on an a3 i brought one tried it on but the rear arches arnt flaired enough looks alittle silly think you can just about getaway with an s3 front bumper but rear no

Thanks for the reply,

Looks good to me, I don't like the S3 rear bumper anyway.

I like being the under dog with a slightly tuned engine, with the setup I have in mind I should surprise a few S3s :sly:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

Looks good to me, I don't like the S3 rear bumper anyway.

I like being the under dog with a slightly tuned engine, with the setup I have in mind I should surprise a few S3s :sly:

I hear you, I used to love doing that myself. But then I went to the dark side and bought a S3 instead! lol.

Now im confused as my 1.8 T Quattro has no cat on the down pipe but has 2 x underfloor cats, system looks standard so what are my options. Also i have 1 lambda sensor which is pre cat ?

I have found one for you dude, a downpipe that is.

Cheap, however, it isn't.

Regal Autosport Downpipe & Sports Cats

Its on that page.

Thanks

But I found that already, but I wasn't loving the price its the sports cat which does it. If had known before I bought the cat system system on the group buy I could have saved 30% (-£260! Ah balls)

Last edited:
if you want to fit an s3 exhaust to your a3 quattro you will need to change one of the rear hangers as they are different on one side get one from audi they are about £15 dont know why bit silly really just one of the backbox hangers goes towards the wheel on s3 but on the a3 goes towards the rear of car but other than that will be a straight fit cat back system obviously i put a miltek non res on mine made it sound awsome

Do you know the part number of the hanger?, I've had a look on VAGCAT but unable to find the S3 part number. It looks like it's the hanger closest to driver rear wheel. is it 1J0253144R??

Last edited:
Do you know the part number of the hanger?, I've had a look on VAGCAT but unable to find the S3 part number. It looks like it's the hanger closest to driver rear wheel. is it 1J0253144R??

Is VAGCAT working again?

EDIT: Yes it is - Whoop whoop.

Bump

Does anyone know if this is the part number I need? 1J0253144R?? to fit S3 exhaust to a 1.8T quattro

Just for info:

I also needed a step up adaptor from the existing Cat to the new S3 Milltek,the stainless is considerably bigger. I will be getting a high flow downpipe and cat shortly but the adaptor will do for now.

I have also had to modify the heat shield under the boot to except the new bracket, just cut a bit out. I knew the bumper needing cutting, but I'm pritty sure I will also have to cut a bit of the metal away behind the bumper I have special tips which are a bit bigger than the jet ones.

The other thing is, the exhaust bracket which was replaced with the S3 one now needs to replace the existing one on the other side, as the milltek hanger is closer to the back. I may have to space it down a few 'mm' down as well but no biggy.

I'll take some photos when finished to help anyone else out who is considering this.

Completed at the weekend - Sounds Perfect!

First impressions.... Performance is defiantly better pulls much quicker through the rev range. Sounds lovely, not to load not to quite.

Bit of fiddling around with the cutout think I ended up doing it three times to get it just in the right place,

Only downside my dodgy centre bit was blowing this morning. I'll redo it later

Some photos below, some of them are at the early stages - Procedure is as posted above ^

B1gdave83
Pictures by B1gdave83 - Photobucket

Looks very good Dave. How much was your system ?

Thanks buddy, I'm pretty chuffed with it as well. Looks much better in real life than just the pictures.

I managed to get the CAT back on on a group buy, £370 ish including VAT and delivery.

Just after a cheaper solution for the high flow cat and downpipe now Milltek want roughly £850!!!.
High flow manifold will be order in the next couple of days,
1.8T High Flow Transverse Manifold - THSCMA-18T-TV

Once that's done, I'll be installing a FMIC and then ready for Bill @ Badger 5 to do he's magic :eyebrows:
(new injectors and larger MAF, and hybrid turbo)

260BHP+ here I come baby :drool:

Woop Woop Manifold on order looking for ceramic coating now, but I don't fancy paying over £200 more like £80.

Does anyone know someone who is cheap but good, as I don't want it to flake off.

Last edited:
dave theres a group buy on miltek systems currently going if you havent seen it......

Dont want to rain on a parade but ive just had word from a police officer that they are going to make it illegal to have a aftermarket / non standard exhaust system. It will be part of the M.O.T. not sure when but just like the new regs on Reg fonts that is now part of the M.O.T, the aftermarket exhaust will be too. Ring your local police station to varify this.

^^ thats bull, one of best mates is a police officer.

They are clamping down on loud exhaust systems that's it, with regards to MOT all they are doing is bringing the readiness tests in.

Think of all the cars out there with after market exhausts, can't ban them all

^^ thats bull, one of best mates is a police officer.

They are clamping down on loud exhaust systems that's it, with regards to MOT all they are doing is bringing the readiness tests in.

Think of all the cars out there with after market exhausts, can't ban them all

M8, My girlfriend is a traffic officer and she has been informed it is going to be part of the M.O.T check for any non standard exhaust. If its "Bull" then no need for you to worry is there.

Lol i'm not worried, because I don't think its going to happen. I wouldn't be worried anyway, no difference to putting the CAT back on for :blush:

Thank you for your input

Last edited:
lmao i would pay to see the police pull all the cars in the country over to check for non standard exhaust.
so if your exhaust goes you carnt buy a non genuine exhaust lol
no chance the police and gov are trying to stop lots of thing to do with mods on cars its never going to happen to many cars are modded to stop it now

Hello I'm thinking been thinking about changing the exhaust on my audi a3 1.8t quattro 2002 iv been reading this and if I wanted to put an after market exhaust on what's the popular one to put on and value for money max I want to spend is £200 cheers