1.8TFSI / 2.0 TDI 170 MPG?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
Ive never been interested in MPG, but now the feel like Im living at the petrol station (bit of an exaggeration, but the 1.6 drinks fuel!).

Nothing certain yet, but Im having a casual look on the internet at 1.8TFSI's and the 2.0TDI 170 for next year. Im hoping that they will feel drastically different power-wise compared to my 1.6, and I won't be spending any longer at the pumps.

Whats MPG figures do you guys get?

I have a 2.0Tdi and I must say, compared to my previous A3 which was a 1.9 Tdi, the MPG I am currently getting is disappointing. If I fill my tank to the brim, which costs around £75 at today’s prices, I can expect to drive around 430 miles before having to fill up again.

The MPG display on the dash usually indicates I am getting around 37mpg, but this increases to around 48mpg if I go on a long motorway run and drive slowly.

I have a 2.0 Tdi 140. 15 litres gets me a minimum of 150 miles, which is 45mpg. However, the overall MPG on the DIS over the last 6 months has crept up to 54 MPG, but I reckon it over reads by 5mpg.

I have a 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic and I get 550+ miles out of a full tank which is over 45.5mpg

I've got a 140 SB TDI FWD, now 180. Managed 580 this week, about 50mpg, that was being very behaved. But usually get 520 miles a tank averaging 45-50mpg on the DIS, if I cruise at 80 mph on the motorway and a fair amount of town driving

400 miles out of a tank last month! Average 40 mpg on my daily commute and I try not to do any short journeys. I am a bit light footed though:laugh:

I'm surprised about how poor some of the diesels do, I get 400-420 miles out of a tank on a 2.0T, which is 37mpg ish.

I struggle to get 30 on my commute to work in my 1.8tfsi. Used to get 42mpg in the 2.0tdi so If mpg is what you're bothered about I'd go for the diesel. Personally I'm a petrol head and can justify the extra money for the noise/drive

I struggle to get 30 on my commute to work in my 1.8tfsi. Used to get 42mpg in the 2.0tdi so If mpg is what you're bothered about I'd go for the diesel. Personally I'm a petrol head and can justify the extra money for the noise/drive

True diesels are different thats why i wont come back to them:p. Sod the mpgs:)

True diesels are different thats why i wont come back to them:p. Sod the mpgs:)

Tbh the difference in price between a litre of petrol and diesel seems to be bigger every time I fill up. Getting up to 10p more for diesel in Newcastle. So the mpg gain is becoming less and less because of the price.

My mate has a new shape honda civic 1.8 vtec, he commutes from leeds to manchester at 70 mph max, he gets 57 mpg and gets 600 out of a tank.....! How does that work?

Because the new Civic has all the drag of an eel - that's why it looks so gash.

Motorways at 60-70mph is a very efficient way to travel, though, which will help. Also, your right foot makes a huge difference - I used to get my last car (1.2 petrol Clio) up to nearly 60mpg when I really wanted to, and that on a winding lake district A-road.

I've got the 1.8T FSI

Get about 30/32MPG round town and up to around 40/45MPG on motorways

Last edited:
Over the weekend I've been driving a 2Lt TDi demo, it has 500miles on the clock and I have to say has returned some decent mpg results. Mostly driving around london and then a couple of runs up the M11 to cambridge at around 80mph to my amazment this morning when I returned back into London its showing 59mpg. Not back is it got ragged at times

I have a 2.0tdi 170 s-tronic and I get 550+ miles out of a full tank which is over 45.5mpg

Exactly the same as mine I get 550 miles to a tank all the time! Having come from an Edition 30 golf and a focus ST I'm well impressed.

I think the diesel is always going to be better on fuel than the petrol.

I've just got a 2.0 tdi 140 Pd (57 plate, 30k) and i have to say i am rather disappointed with my mpg so far, i've had approx 42mpg on mainly rural roads, driving sensibly. I've just come from a 207 1.6 hdi 110 and never managed to fall under 50mpg even driving hard, wish i had had the extra money to have been able to get a newer common rail engine (not tried one in the Audi) as all my previous Peugeots have been common rail for the last 10 years and i would say the performance/refinement/economy is far superior!

i have a 1.8tfsi averaging around 34 in town mainly dual carriageways, Motorway around 38-40mpg

My manual tdi 170 pd will do around 44-48mpg on the motorway about 65-70mph, touch that right pedal with anything other than a featherweight however and it will drop quickly. Around town around 35-38mpg. I have managed to get 58.5mpg on the dis however on the way to work once which was mixed motorway and little bit of town, it did however take me 20 mins longer than usual lol

I easy see 500+ to a tank in my 170CR DSG Leon.

Although if driving with a heavvy foot I've had the fuel light on at 390.