1.8tfsi v 2.0tdi 170

rOb_A

Reaction score
as the above says, has anyone compared these 2 against each other? fuel consumption is a no-brainer but all other things

thanks for the reply but why would go 170tdi ?

I'd consider the initial cost. 1.8tfsi car seem to be cheaper than the tdi 170.

So it comes down to the amount of miles you do? If your on a budget got for the petrol.

1.8TFSI will be much more fun than the tractor.

Reactions: RedDejavu
this could be an interesting discussion...If we play nice.

Firstly quattro or fwd on the 170TDI

stock vs stock or both running stage 1?

Depends what you fancy really!

In relation to the 1.8 TFSI I have seen that REVO apparently can get over 200BHP out of this engine - Runs the golf gti turbo? I think it would be a decent engine, and probably what I will be looking at next (if insurance lets me!!). In terms of MPG it does about 38-40mpg?

The 2.0 TDI 170 engine will feel very punchy in the torque but i've also heard reports about the dissapointing mpg for a diesel?

It's abit like my 1.4 TFSI and the 2.0 TDI 140 but higher powered engines.. I suggest you go and test drive them, but the 170 will feel alot quicker than the 1.8 TFSI in torque!

I'd personally go for the 1.8 TFSI as the 0-60 figures are VERY slightly quicker and it sounds good! Oh and not the mention the extra couple of grand sat in your bank account :)

Last edited:
Matty is your A3 a 120bhp or 160?

was driving a brand new MK6 1.4TSI this evening with 120bhp have literally fallen in love with the engine and gearbox....Its such a nice drive with the charger low down non of that turbo judder etc. Was nippy to had a blast against it with mine albeit it struggled to hold up but im sure its just a detuned version of the 160bhp 1.4TSI as used in the mk6 GT? You could hit some serious gains from a remap aswell

I like to call it 125 haha! :) only joking, it's not worth remapping it though, as the gains are only like 15bhp - 20bhp :(

I like to call it 125 haha! :) only joking, it's not worth remapping it though, as the gains are only like 15bhp - 20bhp :(

Damn just had a look on revo, odd that how comes? the 160 1.4TSI gets a claimed figure of around 219bhp!

I wouldnt complain though mate i actually loved the drive of the 1.4T this evening its got a lovely peaky torque band which i thought my car nailed it with initially till i drove the 1.4 unit. Clutch and gears feel alot more precise aswell compared to mine.

AMD are quoting +60bhp and torque man! That's gotta be worth having done.

Matty is your A3 a 120bhp or 160?

was driving a brand new MK6 1.4TSI this evening with 120bhp have literally fallen in love with the engine and gearbox....Its such a nice drive with the charger low down non of that turbo judder etc. Was nippy to had a blast against it with mine albeit it struggled to hold up but im sure its just a detuned version of the 160bhp 1.4TSI as used in the mk6 GT? You could hit some serious gains from a remap aswell

Yeahh, it's decent power for an 18 year old - but I couldn't get insured on your engine, even though Audi only wanted an extra £500 :(

I think the 160bhp is similar setup to the 185bhp twin turbo? My mum has a 1.8t but it's in an A4 cabriolet - which is a very heavy car!

Keep my fingers crossed I might be able to in the next year or so! :)

Just to add I think it's because the turbo is quite small on it, my brothers mate has remapped his but it's a leon (quite abit heavier!) and to be honest it's not much quicker - not 160bhp! I'm happy with the economy though, pushed 65mpg out of it once on the motorway driving it like a granny haha!

Last edited:
AMD are quoting +60bhp and torque man! That's gotta be worth having done.

I think thats the 160 variant fella as i just checked it aswell. There are two types in the 1.4T the 120bhp and the 160bhp

Yeahh, it's decent power for an 18 year old - but I couldn't get insured on your engine, even though Audi only wanted an extra £500 :(

I think the 160bhp is similar setup to the 185bhp twin turbo? My mum has a 1.8t but it's in an A4 cabriolet - which is a very heavy car!

Keep my fingers crossed I might be able to in the next year or so :)

Hopefully dude, enjoy it though as its a lovely motor regardless. If you did change go for a 2.0T quattro :) i wish they had a quattro in the 1.8tfsi with the map i just feel it could really do with it to combat the wheel spin.

Hopefully dude, enjoy it though as its a lovely motor regardless. If you did change go for a 2.0T quattro :) i wish they had a quattro in the 1.8tfsi with the map i just feel it could really do with it to combat the wheel spin.

Ahh I will do, it's like my baby! Haha I wish, insurance is an absolute joke for me! My brother has 1.6 and that doesn't hold up to badly to be honest - I'd probably only pull about 3 car lengths to 60ish! He's after a 1.8 tfsi too! :)

2 No. 3 door BE's have come up for sale. both are 2011, similar mileage and spec, built a couple of months apart but same 11 plate number. only difference is colour. 170 tdi is ibis and the 1.8 tsfi is phantom. price, both the same. i thought the tfsi would be cheaper..

i'd like to change due my SB being out of warranty by 4/5 months now. so not sure what to do. i missed out on another A3 a month or so ago a regretted not securing before it went on general sale. plus i know the next gen A3 is around the corner but i think if i go down that route i won't get the spec i want due to the rise in price the new model will go up (10%??)

any advice welcome

My DPF-deleted 170 was very quick and I got 57mpg out of it on a steady run. Having said that my current standard 170 returns great mpg too.

I couldnt get more than 40-45mpgs doing motorway and 30-35 town driving. It was fairly quick but lack of proper response and as every diesel poor top end and terrible 1st gear. Not to mention all the smoke and deadly vapour that you breath in without DPF everyday. Lets then justify TDI is for driving from A to B and petrol tops it up with fun factor:].