1.9 AWX 130 Manual Remapped ECU Problems

Reub

Reaction score
I recently bought a remapped ECU for my 1.9 AWX 130 B6 A4. It claimed to be 165 hp on eBay. I installed it and found the car to feel slower than with the stock ECU. It also spluttered when starting where it was fine before.

I replaced the stock ECU and the spluttery start was gone and the power felt normal again.

I got an accelerometer on my phone and measured a max of 0.38 G of acceleration in second gear with the eBay ECU and a max of 0.44 G of acceleration with the stock ECU. I tested this with the engine at operating temp both times and both directions on the same stretch of road multiple times.

I contacted the seller about this and he said the ECU was obviously faulty as he doesn't change the starting map so it shouldn't splutter on starting. He refunded me fully without asking for a return.

After this, I ordered another remapped ECU from a different seller on eBay, this time claiming 170 hp. I just installed it and it's fine starting the car, no splutters or anything but once again, no power increase. I measured a max of 0.43 G of acceleration this time on my phone. I have contacted this seller to see if he forgot to remap it or something??

If that's not the case, what's going on?? Is there something wrong with my car? It's definitely not already remapped. My last car was 160 hp and this feels significantly slower.

only way to tell to either dyno, or log the new ecu(speficied and actual boost, injection amount, VNT actuator etc)

This is why the best way to get a satisfactory result is to go to a reputable company they won't upload a remap if there's a detrimental underlying issue .

Before and after graphs are a must as they tell you alot .

It wasn't the route I took but a satisfaction proven multiple forum members experience , not one had put it on a dyno .

And it didn't disappoint .

Last edited:
This is why the best way to get a satisfactory result is to go to a reputable company they won't upload a remap if there's a detrimental underlying issue .

Before and after graphs are a must as they tell you alot .

It wasn't the route I took but a satisfaction proven multiple forum members experience , not one had put it on a dyno .

And it didn't disappoint .
Yeah, I was just looking for a cheap option. I paid 500 for the car so I didn't want to spend 40% of the car on a remap.

Interesting results, perhaps the car has another underlying issue which these maps have brought to the surface.