1.9 pd 130 starter motor question

Ian2012

Reaction score
My car is struggling a bit to turn over when cold and the starter motor seems to make a much deeper loader noise than it should. I have had the battery tested and that's fine is there anything i can do to the starter by the way of cleaning lets say to make work how it should (its done 124k) or is it time for a new one?

Thanks

Iain

Who tested the battery ?. How old is it ? Usually starter motors either work or they don't. It is possible the contacts on the solenoid are duff or the brushes in need of replacement but I would say that the battery is more likely to be duff.
I would check the engine earth strap and connections on the starter itself.
Just to make you aware if you didn't know the 5 and 6 speed starter motors are different parts and not interchangeable. Assuming you decide to change the starter.

Karl.

halfords tested it today, i saw the results on his machine thanks for the tip on the 5 spd and 6pd i have checked the part no's on etka and i need a six speed which is 068911024h or or hx (exchange) i might well try giving the contacts a clean and earth straps.

thanks

Tough one this, you can get the starter motor current draw checked, if you have the correct equipment. I would do as suggested, check the heavy leads from the battery to starter. Grab hold of the starter, try to move it just in case something is loose. Batteries when cold can test different to when the car has been warmed up!

Mine did this a year ago,was playing up for a few weeks making different noises and sticking ect,then it jammed out and I had to replace it,lucky it was in my drive when it happened as it wouldn't bump start due to being in the out position !

59eb274b75818a50ce780cf1bd401795.jpg

I am hopefully changing the oil tomorrow so can have a look and see if there is anything loose, might pop off the cables and give them a clean just to be sure, i am guessing you cant just pull them apart and give them some sort of clean and lube?

Be careful when undoing the cables as the thick one connected straight to the battery, very easy to short it out and get some big sparks.

Even though the young child from Halfords "checked" your battery, I would either try another battery or jump your system off another large car. Easy to do just to definitely eliminate your battery as being faulty.

Even though the young child from Halfords "checked" your battery, I would either try another battery or jump your system off another large car. Easy to do just to definitely eliminate your battery as being faulty.

I sort of agree, although 2 batteries in series would probably spin a weak starter at a pace!

kind of answered my own question as part of its service i changed the fuel filter the battery didnt have enough power to crank it over for more than 3 to 4 minutes ended up having to jump start it from wifes passat spun over a lot quicker but the starter still sounded heavy if that makes sense.